Richard Rapport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Rapport

Is Richard Rapport living in Canada? I read online that he had moved here to teach chess.

Re : Richard Rapport

Originally posted by Simon Perkins View Post
    Is Richard Rapport living in Canada? I read online that he had moved here to teach chess.
    Link please.

Comment

Re: Re : Richard Rapport

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      Link please.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich%C3%A1rd_Rapport

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Richard Rapport

Thanks for the link. This looks like a short quick trip to Montreal. If he's still in Canada he could benefit financially by visiting chess centers coast to coast for coaching and simuls.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Richard Rapport

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          If he's still in Canada he could benefit financially by visiting chess centers coast to coast for coaching and simuls.
          Benefit financially? Canada is a third world chess country.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Richard Rapport

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
            Benefit financially? Canada is a third world chess country.
            Yeah, but there lots of money for lessons and simuls.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm more than a bit suspicious of that one liner about his move to Montreal. I've been unable to substantiate this anywhere else. Moreover, he plays tournaments each and every month in Europe so when would he ever reside in Montreal other than to briefly sojourn? Bear in mind that he's the number one ranked Junior in the world, clearly the most popular Junior as well, and if any teenager is likely to be the next chess millionaire, it's very likely Richard. And that's not going to happen teaching (:
              Last edited by Jack Maguire; Saturday, 3rd January, 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                Bear in mind that he's the number one ranked Junior in the world, clearly the most popular Junior as well, and if any teenager is likely to be the next chess millionaire, it's very likely Richard. And that's not going to happen teaching (:
                At least not very quickly. ;-)
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re: Richard Rapport

If he's in Montreal, I'm sure he would have shown up at the Pere Noel tournament to cheer on his students. It's always possible he's staying quietly in the background like the Chinese GM and his high-rated wife who "live" in Montreal and teach chess.
                  I have also been told that Eric Hansen is settling in Montreal as well.

Comment

Re : Re: Richard Rapport

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    If he's in Montreal, I'm sure he would have shown up at the Pere Noel tournament to cheer on his students. It's always possible he's staying quietly in the background like the Chinese GM and his high-rated wife who "live" in Montreal and teach chess.
                    I have also been told that Eric Hansen is settling in Montreal as well.
                    Not to mention Elvis Presley and Bobby Fischer!

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Richard Rapport

It seemed really odd to me so I contacted one of the students mentionned in the Wikipedia page... It turns out he had never heard about Richard Rapport, so we can probably safely assume that Richard Rapport is not living in Canada. It seems like the three students are at the same school, so one of their friends probably thought it was funny to modify a GM's Wikipedia page.

Hugh is right about the Chinese GMs. GM Peng Xiaomin and WGM Qin Kanying have been living in Montreal for a while and teach a lot of kids, but are not interested in playing in tournaments here. I've contacted them a few times and their answer seemed definitive.

GM Hansen has also been living in Montreal for a couple of months, and I guess it's not a secret anymore as he showed up at a few events and lots of kids posted pictures of them with him on Facebook.

Comment

This has to be one of the most spectacular games ever played by a 13/14 year-old (depending when in 2010 it took place) and a great mate in 6 problem after the Croatian GM's 26th move (:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1601818

Comment

This has to be one of the most spectacular games ever played by a 13/14 year-old (depending when in 2010 it took place) and a great mate in 6 problem after the Croatian GM's 26th move (:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1601818

Comment

Richard Rapport

Richard Rapport

November 5, 2016

A long interview with Richard Rapport appeared just after the Baku Olympiad

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/ric...ve-any-support

Colin McGourty gives this preface:

At 20 years old Hungary’s Richard Rapport is the world’s top junior, rated 2752 and world no. 16. He suffered at the Baku Olympiad, though, both from possible food poisoning and over the board, where he lost four games and 23 rating points.

In the following interview Richard and his wife Jovana talk to Dorsa Derakhshani about their life together, including how a lack of support and opportunities is holding back one of the world’s most original and talented players. Richard is disillusioned and comments, “right now I’m not so sure if I want to keep on playing chess all my life”.

What would you need to become a World Championship challenger?

Richard: Ok, I’m in need of a sponsor to support me financially, like lots of other players.

Jovana: Compared to other chess players, he has almost no support!

Richard: We’re building our life and family all on our own, with no one else to support us. When we started living together we decided to be completely independent, so we didn’t have any support even from our families. Some good has come out of it, but it makes chess seem a source of income for me, not just a game to be focused on and skills to be improved.

Jovana: Everyone sees the huge potential in him, but somehow no-one cares enough about it to actually step in.

Well, you are not even 21 yet! Hopefully this problem will be solved soon and we will be able to see your talent in action more.

Richard: Hopefully, because right now I’m not so sure if I want to keep on playing chess all my life. It’s too much of a burden and stress and I don’t feel the love for it some other players do. I just want to make the best of it. But we are young and we don’t have much experience. I mean, we probably don’t even know how it would feel to be supported and play only because of chess, and regularly at the top level, and so on.

Maybe I would also need a change of style and a change of hairstyle! But for now, I need to stop playing bad moves!

Comment

Working...
                            X