SATEC Grades 1 to 12 Chess Challenge - Sat Feb 28 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATEC Grades 1 to 12 Chess Challenge - Sat Feb 28 2015

We are running a Chess Tournament for students from Grade 1 through Grade 12 on Sat Feb 28 2015 at SATEC @ W A Porter CI.
    This tournament will be rated by the Chess Federation of Canada (quick-play - (active-) rating)
    This tournament is also a qualifier for the 48th ONTARIO HIGH SCHOOL CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP
    This Championship will run Fri Apr 10 - Sat Apr 11 2015. It will be held at University of Toronto Schools.
    Further details are available at www.ohscc.on.ca

The flyer (2 pages including entry form) has all the details.
    Download from http://www.ohscc.on.ca

This tournament is open to all students in Grades 1 through 12.
    There are separate sections as follows:
    Championship for players rated 1500 CFC or over;
    Intermediate for players rated 1100 CFC or over or with 2+ years tournament experience;
    Beginner for players rated below 1100 CFC and with less than 2 years tournament experience.

Parents and teachers are welcome, but it’s also ok for students to attend on their own, with their parents’ permission.
    We will have several teachers and a lot of senior students supervising the event.
    Students need to bring a packed lunch, or money to buy.
    We’ll have pizza and drinks (juice / water) on sale ($5 for 2 slices and 1 drink; $3 single slice).
    All chess equipment (sets, boards, and clocks) will be provided by the Ontario Chess Association (many thanks!)
    Scoresheets and pencils for recording moves will also be provided.

From this event, one in every 6 students will qualify to attend the Ontario High School Chess Championship.
    We will pay the entry fee for all qualifiers (up to $50 value).

Special offer: The entry fee for this tournament is $25 for individuals.
    A team of 3 or more from one school may enter for $20 each only by sending the entry forms with cheque in TDSB courier by Wed Feb 18.

TD: Chris Field. chris.field@bell.net

Organiser: Doug Breckman. doug.breckman@gmail.com

Re: SATEC Grades 1 to 12 Chess Challenge - Sat Feb 28 2015

THIS EVENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CANADIAN CHESS CHALLENGE! Perhaps Chris is trying to confuse people so that he can get more players to the event. I am disappointed.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      THIS EVENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CANADIAN CHESS CHALLENGE! Perhaps Chris is trying to confuse people so that he can get more players to the event. I am disappointed.

Larry
      Hi Larry. I don't see any reference to the Chess Challenge. Why are you disappointed? It seems like a great event.

Comment

"Chess Challenge" is mentioned in the title of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Richardson View Post
          Hi Larry. I don't see any reference to the Chess Challenge. Why are you disappointed? It seems like a great event.
          In the Subject of the thread:

SATEC Grades 1 to 12 Chess Challenge - Sat Feb 28 2015

Parents see "Chess Challenge" and they naturally assume it is the event they are familiar with but alas they have been led astray. Yes I am disappointed that someone who has been doing chess in Canada for many decades would go there.

Larry

Comment

Larry
            Is it not possible to change the header to something else? For example: "Chess Event" or something like that? Don't you and the admins have that power?
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Larry
              Larry, you should know very well that I have been running this event since at least 2000 with no connexion to your events.
              Until a few years ago when Chess'n Math screwed up, we rated it with both CMA and CFC.
              You never objected to our calling it a Grades 1 to 12 Chess Challenge until this year.

It did begin as a qualifier for your event.

When I changed it to be a qualifier for the OHSCC instead,
              I added Grades 1 to12 to the title.

I don't think it is at all confusing.

You - I repeat - never objected in all the previous years.

The event was omitted in 2014 because I had delayed our CYCC Qualifier.

Chris Field.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Field View Post
                It did begin as a qualifier for your event. When I changed it to be a qualifier for the OHSCC instead...
                Interesting, the Windsor Chess Challenge started as a qualifier to the Ontario Chess Challenge. We changed to being a qualifier to OYCC in... 2008, I think it was. I still call it the Windsor Chess Challenge, but we don't advertise or accept entries from outside the local area. www.chesschallenge.info

Comment

Working...
                X