Congratulations to Lawrence Day and Leon Piasetski!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Lawrence Day and Leon Piasetski!

Two Canadian chess legends who tied for first at the Grand Pacific Open! (with two other strong players IM Lee and IM Gansvind) Lawrence did you miss something in your last round game with Leon at the end? My sniffer tells me yes but I dont have Rybbka or Fritz in front of me to confirm.

Re: Congratulations to Lawrence Day and Leon Piasetski!

I'm joining Hans to his congratulations for the both Gentlemen.
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Two Canadian chess legends who tied for first at the Grand Pacific Open! (with two other strong players IM Lee and IM Gansvind) Lawrence did you miss something in your last round game with Leon at the end? My sniffer tells me yes but I dont have Rybbka or Fritz in front of me to confirm.
      In the monroi score after 30(?ish) Rd1-d7 it gives ..Qb4 but I played ..Qe3 forcing Rc2 when Qb3 repeating seemed the best available option. Nd3 Bxd3 cxd3 allows Qxc8 winning. (heh, no board or computer eh;)

Leon is back after 15 years teaching at a Japanese university.

The whole festival was very smooth and well organized.

Comment

Congratulations to Lawrence Day - full colour pictures in greater Victoria newspapers

Re: Grand Pacific Open Media: Watch IM Lawrence Day - in Greater Victoria newspapers!

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver.../43141157.htmlhttp://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver.../43141157.html

Chess players from novices to masters gathered at the Hotel Grand Pacific for the annual Victoria Chess Festival.

Make one false move and …
        Lawrence Day, an international chess master, considers his next move during a game at the Victoria Chess Festival held Monday at the Hotel Grand Pacific. The festival attracted hundreds of chess devotees from around the world.
        Sharon Tiffin/News staff

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
          In the monroi score after 30(?ish) Rd1-d7 it gives ..Qb4 but I played ..Qe3 forcing Rc2 when Qb3 repeating seemed the best available option. Nd3 Bxd3 cxd3 allows Qxc8 winning. (heh, no board or computer eh;)

Leon is back after 15 years teaching at a Japanese university.

The whole festival was very smooth and well organized.
          lol I don't have a board in front of me, and I most certainly cannot play blindfold either, but it seems to me that e3 is a long way from b4, so the question is how could the monroi game record be messed up?

Perhaps I misunderstood and you were not using Monroi for recording the game and it is a transcription error (someone couldn't read your nor Leon's writing?) Glad to see Leon (and you) back into the tournament scene.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

a third party was entering the game on monroi as it was being played as neither Leon or Lawrence were using Mon Roi. My guess would be that this person looked away for a bit when the Q was on c5 and when he looked back it was on b3 so he had to guess at the move and chose Qc5-b4-b3 not Qc5-e3-b3.

the score for this game and for one other (Davies vs Wu) has been corrected at the site http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/...+Festival+2009

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              a third party was entering the game on monroi as it was being played as neither Leon or Lawrence were using Mon Roi. My guess would be that this person looked away for a bit when the Q was on c5 and when he looked back it was on b3 so he had to guess at the move and chose Qc5-b4-b3 not Qc5-e3-b3.

the score for this game and for one other (Davies vs Wu) has been corrected at the site http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/...+Festival+2009

Thanks for the clarification... I didn't know whether either player had used a Monroi device, but it seemed like a safe guess.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
              X