Former CFC Governor Seeks Federal Nomination - Not Chess Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former CFC Governor Seeks Federal Nomination - Not Chess Related

I am seeking the Federal Liberal Nomination for the new riding of King-Vaughan. www.garygladstone.ca As a "chess dad" and former CFC governor, I wanted to advise the Chess Talk readership and solicit your support.

In 2015 Canadians are going to vote for a better government and a better future for our country.

I want to be a part of that positive change, but before I can stand with Team Trudeau as the Liberal candidate for King-Vaughan I need to connect with as many people as possible.

How can you help?

1. Encourage your family and friends who live in the riding to join the Liberal Party. Membership is only $10 and will make them eligible to vote at our riding Nomination Meeting when it is called. They can sign-up online or call me at 289-588-5292 or send me an email and we’ll handle the rest.
    2. Send us the names of people you know, including contact information, who may be interested in learning more about my campaign and we’ll reach out to them.
    3. Spread the word by sending a brief email introducing me to those you know in the riding. Here’s an example that you can quickly cut and paste, address and send.

Dear Friend,

An accomplished and respected local resident named Gary Gladstone is running to become the federal Liberal candidate here in King-Vaughan for 2015. Gary has lived in Vaughan for almost 25 years and has played an active role in the Liberal Party for decades.

He’s a hard worker, compassionate and caring, and a man of great integrity. I know he will be a strong, committed voice for our community in Ottawa.

Please take a moment to learn more about Gary’s campaign and then register to vote (membership is only $10) so you can support him when the Nomination Meeting is held.

This is an important moment for both our country and our community and I am proud to say that Gary Gladstone has my vote for this nomination. To learn why others are also endorsing Gary, click here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Your Name

On a personal note, I am both honoured and grateful to have your support for this nomination.

As Justin Trudeau says, “A better Canada is possible. Together, we will build it.”

Sincerely,

Gary Gladstone

http://www.garygladstone.ca/

Everyone is invited to my campaign meetup, this Thursday at Boston Pizza, Vaughan Mills Plaza

The riding boundaries are here and detailed below:

• The riding consists of Maple, Kleinburg, Nobleton, Schomberg, Kettleby, King City and part of Vaughan

• The northern part of the boundary is Highway 9 / Davis Drive Newmarket

• The western boundary is the Vaughan / Caledon Border

• The eastern boundary is Bathurst

• The southern boundary between Bathurst and Highway 400 is Rutherford; between Highway 400 and the Western Boundary, it is Major Mackenzie Drive.
    Attached Files

Re: Former CFC Governor Seeks Federal Nomination - Not Chess Related

I'm a member of the NDP.

Comment

Ken,
      The important thing is to get engaged in the process
      Gary

Comment

Federal Canadian Election - NDP/Liberal One-Time "Working Agreement"

Originally posted by Gary Gladstone View Post
        Ken,
        The important thing is to get engaged in the process
        Gary
        Hi Gary & Ken:

The important thing is 2nd and 3rd party cooperation at the local riding level......an objective determination by outside expert third parties as to which parties candidate has the best chances to win. The other candidate then withdraws, and throws his support to the best-chance candidate. Once Harper is gone, then next election the NDP & Libs fight it out as is traditionally done.

The times do not call for traditional politics...Harper is wreaking havoc, and is a shrewd politician.....he is currently playing to his strong suits (against terrorism; anti-Putin; security for all Canadians and especially our armed forces, national police and all local police; tough on criminals, etc. and is holding steady now in the polls I believe.....The Trudeau - Harper gap has stopped widening. He could run up the middle, while the NDP and Liberals fiddle and Canada burns.

My 2 cents from the cheap seats....former NDP street level campaigner and election office volunteer.

Gary and Ken - any traction for this option in either of your parties to your knowledge?

What do other anti-Harperites think of this?

Bob

Comment

I was impressed by Mr. Gladstone's family values some time ago - I saw him supporting his young lad at tournaments, wishing him good luck before games and being their to support him in a very tough division (I think it was the PwC tournament some time ago). This was different from some other parents whose presence seem to be less focused on support and more on competition. It was reflected in the confidence of his son, who played well.

The political landscape could use more of such people who are openly caring, regardless of what party they choose to run for.

I don't live anywhere near this riding, but just two cents worth.

Good luck, Mr. Gladstone

Mavros

Comment

Re: Federal Canadian Election - NDP/Liberal One-Time "Working Agreement"

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Gary & Ken:

The important thing is 2nd and 3rd party cooperation at the local riding level......an objective determination by outside expert third parties as to which parties candidate has the best chances to win. The other candidate then withdraws, and throws his support to the best-chance candidate. Once Harper is gone, then next election the NDP & Libs fight it out as is traditionally done.

The times do not call for traditional politics...Harper is wreaking havoc, and is a shrewd politician.....he is currently playing to his strong suits (against terrorism; anti-Putin; security for all Canadians and especially our armed forces, national police and all local police; tough on criminals, etc. and is holding steady now in the polls I believe.....The Trudeau - Harper gap has stopped widening. He could run up the middle, while the NDP and Liberals fiddle and Canada burns.

My 2 cents from the cheap seats....former NDP street level campaigner and election office volunteer.

Gary and Ken - any traction for this option in either of your parties to your knowledge?

What do other anti-Harperites think of this?

Bob
            Alert, Alert - warning signal

Click image for larger version

Name:	CanFedElecPoll(15)1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	185807

Bob

Comment

It will never happen, Bob (Libs&NDPs running jtly chosen candidates). Therefore the important thing is for Libs & NDPs to focus on Harper's performance record vis-a-vis results and rhetoric (lots of ammo here).
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                It will never happen, Bob (Libs&NDPs running jtly chosen candidates). Therefore the important thing is for Libs & NDPs to focus on Harper's performance record vis-a-vis results and rhetoric (lots of ammo here).
                Well, Peter, I'm not all that happy with the thought of Trudeau winning and giving Ontario the money Premier Wynne wants. I still recall Pierre Tudeau and his heavy handed governments which is enough to make me prefer the NDP over the Liberals. I still recall interest rates of over 20% during his years in office around 1981 or 1982. That's bank prime to which I refer.

My only problem with the Harper government is over door to door mail delivery. If they drop their policy on doing away with it that's where my vote goes.

The Ontario liberal government, after years of financial fiascos is in a position where they either have to nickel and dime voters with sneaky tax grabs or raise the personal Ontario income taxes by roughly 5 percentage points. Not unreasonable when you consider people tend to vote for the government they can afford.
                Last edited by Gary Ruben; Monday, 26th January, 2015, 04:29 PM.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

If elected Gary, do you promise to challenge Tony Clement to a game?

Comment

Best of luck Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                      If elected Gary, do you promise to challenge Tony Clement to a game?
                      It's tagged on to my reply and I'm not running for anything. ;) I've never been a member of any political party, although I did some work once on election day for Stephen Lewis. Back in those days I was young and foolish so I liked the NDP. Now I'm old and jaded with no patience for politicians who try to balance their budget on the backs of seniors.

I'd play Tony a game but it would have to be in one of those fancy gazebos.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        The important thing is 2nd and 3rd party cooperation at the local riding level......an objective determination by outside expert third parties as to which parties candidate has the best chances to win. The other candidate then withdraws, and throws his support to the best-chance candidate.
                        Bob, that will never work! Strategic voting by parties is a pipe dream.

Besides, I don't want my "fringe" party candidate to be bullied into backing another party.
                        Also, voters should not be "bullied" into strategic voting.
                        Both of these concepts are unacceptable. True electoral reform is the answer.

If we adopt a modern electoral system, like many other countries have, we can achieve a more democratic system.

There are alternatives, ranked balloting, proportional representation, etc.

Gary, what say you?
                        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 26th January, 2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Proportional representation has certain problems, too, such as no party hardly ever gaining a majority, and fringe parties gaining undue influence (and seats) as a result.

A suggestion: to assist communication in this thread, I suggest using 'Gary G.' or 'Gary R.' to remove any possible ambiguity about the person being addressed.
                          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
                            I was impressed by Mr. Gladstone's family values some time ago - I saw him supporting his young lad at tournaments, wishing him good luck before games and being their to support him in a very tough division (I think it was the PwC tournament some time ago). This was different from some other parents whose presence seem to be less focused on support and more on competition. It was reflected in the confidence of his son, who played well.

The political landscape could use more of such people who are openly caring, regardless of what party they choose to run for.

I don't live anywhere near this riding, but just two cents worth.

Good luck, Mr. Gladstone

Mavros
                            Thank you very much for your very kind words.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                              Bob, that will never work! Strategic voting by parties is a pipe dream.

Besides, I don't want my "fringe" party candidate to be bullied into backing another party.
                              Also, voters should not be "bullied" into strategic voting.
                              Both of these concepts are unacceptable. True electoral reform is the answer.

If we adopt a modern electoral system, like many other countries have, we can achieve a more democratic system.

There are alternatives, ranked balloting, proportional representation, etc.

Gary, what say you?
                              I am open to looking at electoral reform, to methods of representation that are better representative of the public’s interests.

From Liberal.ca

“The Liberal Party of Canada believes that Parliament should belong to the people instead of the Prime Minister. Liberals are committed to exploring Parliamentary and Electoral reform in order to realign our institutions with democratic principles and to ensure more meaningful and effective representation.”

Comment

Working...
                              X