FIDE: New regulations for registration and licensing of players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE: New regulations for registration and licensing of players

From what I gather at the ACA board we are probably not going to be providing valid emails of our members unless maybe they will be signing some form that they allow FIDE to have this information. Probably the best way around it is to provide info@chess.ca for all members that way the CFC office would be responsible for contacting our members if FIDE wants to contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I am not aware of this situation. Can anyone enlighten me about the circumstances?

I am pretty sure that you are a competent organizer and you are not the reason the CFC cannot find sponsors though to be fair we have had more sponsorship in the last year than we have had in some years.

If you don't want to provide a valid email address it is well within the rights of FIDE not to allow you to play though not rating the tournament seems a bit draconian. Birthdates would only be relevant in the case of something like NAYCC where there is some reasonable expectation that they will verify qualifications.
      It preceded your administration :-). But I'm glad you are concerned enough to inquire. As CFC president, you should be concerned that the CFC is compliant with both the law and the personal privacy wishes of it's customers. From that episode, and the statement that henceforth email addresses are required to FIDE rate, it seems that the CFC is not very conscious of or concerned about the privacy issues over the data it has. If you read this thread:
      http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...related-emails
      it would be clear to you that there are plenty of people who do not want their email given out willy-nilly.

FIDE has made this demand but it has not, AFAIK, provided a privacy policy statement, it has not given any indication of how it plans to use this information (as an identifier? to email people directly? to email people for the next presidential campaign? advertising? selling email lists to commercial companies? publish it on the FIDE website in some big list?), and has given no indication that it understands privacy legislation, requirements, and sensibilities in North America.

Regarding birthdates and events like the NAYCC, my understanding is (correct me if I am wrong) that qualification requirements are the year the person was born. That is, what you need, is the year, and year only of birth. Additional identifying information is not required.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
        It preceded your administration :-).
        That's a relief as I can't imagine anyone from the current administration or in the CFC office saying that.

But I'm glad you are concerned enough to inquire. As CFC president, you should be concerned that the CFC is compliant with both the law and the personal privacy wishes of it's customers. From that episode, and the statement that henceforth email addresses are required to FIDE rate, it seems that the CFC is not very conscious of or concerned about the privacy issues over the data it has.
        I am simply reporting a new FIDE requirement which I only became aware of today via an email directly to me. I am sure that Hal Bond and I will discuss this new policy and its implications fairly soon. It seems to me that it is getting more difficult to get a tournament FIDE rated. This will make it even more difficult. The bottom portion of the iceberg probably has to do with the ambition in some quarters for FIDE to directly license players.

If you read this thread:
        http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...related-emails
        it would be clear to you that there are plenty of people who do not want their email given out willy-nilly.
        I did read that thread.

FIDE has made this demand but it has not, AFAIK, provided a privacy policy statement, it has not given any indication of how it plans to use this information (as an identifier? to email people directly? to email people for the next presidential campaign?
        That seems unlikely. Only delegates or federation presidents might have a vote and they do have my email address and aren't shy about using it.

advertising? selling email lists to commercial companies? publish it on the FIDE website in some big list?), and has given no indication that it understands privacy legislation, requirements, and sensibilities in North America.
        My suspicion would be that they might use it to market the new FIDE titles and perhaps tournaments. I get regular emails from the USCF and the Continental Chess Association which I probably opted into and which are welcome.

Regarding birthdates and events like the NAYCC, my understanding is (correct me if I am wrong) that qualification requirements are the year the person was born. That is, what you need, is the year, and year only of birth. Additional identifying information is not required.
        For every FIDE international event that I have been involved in on the youth side the organizers have required passport scans which would include birth dates. If you wanted to play you had to comply. In some cases it was a prerequisite to being allowed into the country for the tournament. It seems to me that they are probably within their rights to make certain requirements of players and organizers.

Comment

I am simply reporting a new FIDE requirement which I only became aware of today via an email directly to me. I am sure that Hal Bond and I will discuss this new policy and its implications fairly soon. It seems to me that it is getting more difficult to get a tournament FIDE rated. This will make it even more difficult. The bottom portion of the iceberg probably has to do with the ambition in some quarters for FIDE to directly license players.
          well, the notice being given is insufficient. We have a FIDE event at the start of April which we have been advertising for a year and changing requirements with 4 weeks notice is not OK. The online registration process collecting permissions for using emails is giving similar statistics to the thread I quoted - i.e. many people do not want to have their emails used for other purposes. I suspect we will be giving you info@chess.ca as the contact email for these people.

My suspicion would be that they might use it to market the new FIDE titles and perhaps tournaments. ..
          And that would be a good reason for some people to not give a valid email address. If that is FIDE's motivation, it would be unacceptable to not provide an opt out provision.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            Pete McKillop is wondering if Bob Armstrong always writes about himself in the third person? :)
            Hi Peter:

I have not in the past. And a legitimate question as to why the subterfuge (with ME being the poster).

But my company, Canadian Life Consulting, is now becoming more active, and I feel it is necessary to have it assert its legitimacy now. It is now the major player, and as always, I just take orders, and of course, comply with them.

I'd register a CLC account, but I am told:

1. Only individuals can register;

2. That CMA is no longer allowing new registrations, at least at the moment (someone tried to register recently and was unable to). Can anyone confirm that this was, and still is, the case?

Bob A

Comment

This just arrived a few moments ago in pdf format.

Regulations for the registration and licensing of players
              Approved by PB4/2014. Effective after 1st April 2015
              1. Registration
              1.1. Registration is the procedure of entering a player’s personal details into the FIDE
              players’ database.
              1.2. A player registered to FIDE acquires a FIDE ID number (FIN).
              1.3. FIN is a unique number for each player. It is not possible that two players have the same
              FIN and no player is allowed to have two different FIDE ID numbers. FIN remains the
              same throughout a player’s chess career on over the board and online chess.
              1.4. National Chess Federations are requested to report players who use 2 different FIDE ID
              numbers until 31 December 2015. All games played with both FINs will be rerated and
              the players' ratings will be restored. After 1 January 2016, all players found with two
              different FIDE ID numbers will be penalised by a 20 euro fee and all games under the
              FIN issued at a later date will not be rated for the offending player. These penalties may
              be waived if adequate explanation is provided for the second FIN.
              1.5. Each player represents a National Chess Federation (NCF) which is a member of FIDE.
              1.6. Representing a Federation is compulsory. However, there is a special category called
              ‘FIDE flag players’ (the Federation symbol is FID) to cover those players who are, for
              whatever reason, without a Federation, in order to ensure that these players can play
              chess in FIDE rated tournaments.
              1.7. A player may be registered under a Federation if he or she has citizenship, naturalization
              or residency in the country of that Federation.
              1.8. A player may only be registered with and only represent one Federation at any particular
              time.
              1.9. A player who has dual citizenship must be registered with and only represent one
              Federation at any particular time.
              1.10. FIDE Players' database stores the following data for each player: First name, last name,
              gender, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, the Federation they represent, a player's
              photo and a valid email address for contact purposes.
              1.11. FIDE website and FIDE Online Arena (FOA) application display only first name, last
              name, gender, year of birth, Federation and, where available, the player's photo.
              1.12. All NCFs are required to register their players with FIDE. The FIDE Regulations on
              Registration, Transfers and Eligibility shall apply. All players who already have a FIDE
              ID number before 1 January 2015 are considered to be registered.
              1.13. Registration can be made in 4 different ways:
              1.13.1. National Rating Officers can register new players associated with their own
              National Federation and ‘FIDE flag players’.
              1.13.2. The FIDE Rating Administrator may register new players under special
              circumstances only, in FIDE events. In this case the Chief Arbiter and the
              Organiser are responsible for providing correct players' data. FIDE events are all
              competitions under the aegis of a) the World Championship & Olympiad
              Commission or Events Commission, b) Continental competitions that provide qualifiers to any of the aforesaid competitions, and c) events listed and described
              in detail in different parts of the FIDE Handbook.
              1.13.3. New players may register themselves in FIDE Online Arena playing zone (FOA).
              These players are not associated to any National Federation, but they are
              assigned the FIDE flag (FID) until they become members of a National
              Federation.
              1.13.4. When a child registers at sm.fide.com he/she will be allocated a FIDE ID. If such
              person already had a FIDE ID before that registration, his/her FIDE ID will be
              retained and a new one will not be given. After upgrading to Premium at
              psm.fide.com, a child gets a CiS rating.
              1.14. All player's data are obligatory for online registration in FOA. For players registered by
              the National Rating Officers or the FIDE Rating Administrator, first name, last name,
              gender, date of birth, e-mail address and Federation are obligatory for a successful
              registration. Players without an email address are excluded from providing an email,
              however the email address is necessary for the player to access FIDE website statistical
              data.
              1.15. A successful new registration returns the player's FIN.
              1.16. A newly registered player's FIN will be sent by email, as well as the password to FIDE
              website statistical data.
              1.17. NCFs are informed of new players registered by the FIDE Rating Administrator and the
              FIDE Online Arena, depending on the players' nominated Federation.
              1.18. Players already registered may have missing data. FIDE encourages the players
              themselves, the National Rating Officers and Chess Officials to fill these data to whatever
              extent this is possible by communicating with the FIDE Rating Administrator.
              1.19. A tournament will not be rated if there are players without a valid FIN. National Rating
              Officers are required to ensure that all players have a valid FIN before sending the
              tournament report to FIDE to be rated.
              2. Licensing over the board
              2.1. All registered players representing a National Federation which is a member of FIDE are
              licensed to play over the board chess.
              2.2. Οn the 31st December each year, the Treasurer lists on the FIDE website those countries
              that are deemed to be over six months in arrears. Until the arrears have been paid off,
              players from these Federations are not listed on the FIDE website and cannot participate
              in any FIDE events (as described in 1.13.2 of these regulations). Players representing
              such Federations are licensed to participate in any other FIDE rated tournament.
              2.3. NCFs have the right to declare that a player is no longer representing their Federation. A
              player can be delisted by FIDE upon a decision of the Board of the National Federation,
              mailed to FIDE Secretariat, explaining clearly the reasons of their decision. FIDE
              Presidential Board shall decide if the reasons are sufficient and confirm a player being
              delisted.
              2.4. Whenever a NCF delists and subsequently re-lists a player, the NCF shall pay FIDE a fee
              of 25 euros. 2.5. Players with no Federation are automatically considered to be ‘FIDE flag players’ and
              their website profile cards indicate FID as their Federation.
              2.6. Players registered as FID are provisionally licensed to play over the board rated
              tournaments after paying the ‘FIDE license fee’ of 60 euros. ‘FIDE flag players’ are
              encouraged to join a National Federation rather continuing to play as FID.
              2.7. The provisional license under FIDE flag expires on 30 June of the following year.
              2.8. Before 1 July, the license must be renewed with a payment of 60 euros to FIDE, without
              further notification from FIDE, failing which the license is annulled.
              2.9. ‘FIDE flag players’ with a valid provisional license are referred to as ‘licensed’ on their
              FIDE website profile cards.
              2.10. ‘FIDE flag players’ are not allowed to compete in FIDE and Continental events.
              2.11. ‘FIDE flag players’ can be accepted to compete in any other FIDE rated tournament
              provided they are referred to as ‘licensed’.
              2.12. A player who registers to compete in any FIDE rated competition shall be required to
              provide his FIN. If the player has no FIN, then the Organiser must follow one of the
              options below:
              2.12.1. Request the Organiser’s NCF to register the player and provide a FIN under the
              NCF flag. The FIN must be provided before the tournament is submitted for
              rating. FIDE will inform the player of his FIN by e-mail.
              2.12.2. If the player without a FIN wishes to become a member of a Federation other
              than the Organiser’s NCF, then the player can only be allowed to play after: a)
              registration with the appropriate NCF, or, b) acquiring a provisional license as
              ‘FIDE flag player’
              2.13. The ‘FIDE license fee’ must be paid directly to FIDE or through the tournament
              Organiser. In any case, FIDE Secretariat must be informed immediately in order to
              collect the fee. Upon confirmation of payment the ‘FIDE flag player’ is considered to be
              licensed.
              3. Licensing in FOA
              3.1. A registered player is considered to be a full member of FOA upon paying the annual
              subscription or claiming a free membership offer.
              3.2. FOA player’s profile shows clearly the date when a player’s full membership expires.
              3.3. Only full members of FOA are licensed to play in FOA rated games.
              3.4. Players whose membership has expired are considered to be guest members.
              3.5. Guest members have a limited access to FOA services and are allowed to play unrated
              games only.
              3.6. If a player renews his/her subscription with a delay of more than 30 days from the
              expiration day, a penalty of 10 euros is added to the annual subscription fee.
              3.7. FOA licensing is irrelevant to the Federation of the players.
              3.8. A player’s FOA license may be suspended in case the player is caught by the FOA AntiCheating
              system.
              3.9. Players punished by the FIDE Ethics Commission are not licensed to play online chess in
              FOA.

Comment

well, the notice being given is insufficient. We have a FIDE event at the start of April which we have been advertising for a year and changing requirements with 4 weeks notice is not OK. The online registration process collecting permissions for using emails is giving similar statistics to the thread I quoted - i.e. many people do not want to have their emails used for other purposes. I suspect we will be giving you info@chess.ca as the contact email for these people.

And that would be a good reason for some people to not give a valid email address. If that is FIDE's motivation, it would be unacceptable to not provide an opt out provision.
                There appears to be some wiggle room on email addresses. In any case these regulations apply to new FIDE registrations. Anyone who already has a FIDE number is already registered and does not have to be registered again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  Hi Peter:

I have not in the past. And a legitimate question as to why the subterfuge (with ME being the poster).

But my company, Canadian Life Consulting, is now becoming more active, and I feel it is necessary to have it assert its legitimacy now. It is now the major player, and as always, I just take orders, and of course, comply with them.

I'd register a CLC account, but I am told:

1. Only individuals can register;

2. That CMA is no longer allowing new registrations, at least at the moment (someone tried to register recently and was unable to). Can anyone confirm that this was, and still is, the case?

Bob A
                  What does your company do, Bob?
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

All the years I directed and organized correspondence chess, nationally and internationally, I gave my name and my mailing address. They still have postal events for those who want them and I'd suppose the tournament directors would still give a mailing address.

Knowing birth dates in a sport where people want to play for seniors and junior prizes seems like a reasonable request.

Another concern could be a person having 2 or 3 id's and winning international titles under them all. Same name, same country designation, same person but different FIDE number depending on what events the player enters and the nation in which it's being played.

International chess isn't something a person has to play if they don't like the conditions.

When I ran a bulletin board system my opening page said "You are who you say. Your character is limited only by your imagination".
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

1.14. All player's data are obligatory for online registration in FOA. For players registered by
                      the National Rating Officers or the FIDE Rating Administrator, first name, last name,
                      gender, date of birth, e-mail address and Federation are obligatory for a successful
                      registration. Players without an email address are excluded from providing an email,
                      however the email address is necessary for the player to access FIDE website statistical

data.
                      So, in fact, a valid email address is NOT mandatory.

Comment

So, in fact, a valid email address is NOT mandatory.
                        It is but it isn't. It is definitely not required for individuals who have a FIDE ID already which should cover 90% of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          What does your company do, Bob?
                          Hi Peter:

1. Canadian Life Consulting (CLC) - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canad...64065437044857

2. Here is the message when you try to register now as a new member of Chesstalk (from the somebody who tried, who shall remain very, very nameless, and whose name shall not be spoken):

vBulletin Message

Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

Canadian Life Consulting (CLC)

Comment

Regulations for the registration and licensing of players...
                            I have questions about 2 of the provisions of these regulations:

First,
                            "1.12. All NCFs are required to register their players with FIDE."

Does this mean that every member of the CFC must also be a member of FIDE? If it means only players playing in FIDE rated tournaments, it should say so. The way it reads is that all players of an NCF without exception must be registered in FIDE. If so, then all players currently in the CFC who are not members of FIDE must pay up to be registered in FIDE as new members.

Second,
                            "1.19. A tournament will not be rated if there are players without a valid FIN."

This sounds like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. For example, there is going on right now the Cappelle Le Grande with a total of 555 FIDE players. It's all one big section. If just ONE of those players is found out after the event is held but before it's rated not to have a valid FIN, the entire tournament would not be rated? All those results would be thrown out?

And a third line of questioning: for FIDE rated events in Canada (and elsewhere), do the organizers demand to see from each player photo ID certifying that a player is who s/he claims to be? Is there a list of every player entered, and the event cannot procede until every entered player's ID is checked off as being confirmed by photo ID? Players who can't confirm their ID are not allowed to enter?

What if I found out Bindi Cheng's FIN and impersonated him at a FIDE rated tournament (making necessary changes in appearance, and learning how to "twerk like Bindi")? And if such impersonation were to take place and were to be found out post-event, what recourse would the impersonated player have? Would the entire rated tournament be thrown out retroactively once the impersonation was reported to FIDE?

These regulations appear to leave lots of open holes for members to lose their privileges of being FIDE members... to be rated, and then later 'unrated' as it were, because some small number of people, even just 1 person, screwed up the system. Titles or norms could even be earned and then lost.
                            Last edited by Paul Bonham; Friday, 6th March, 2015, 03:38 PM.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

It is but it isn't. It is definitely not required for individuals who have a FIDE ID already which should cover 90% of the players.
                              The regulations also state that a photo of each player is required but the CFC has been slack in collecting them. Will a photo and email both be needed for new players?

Comment

Working...
                              X