2015 Quebec Open : First details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Quebec Open : First details

Earlier this week, the FQE published most of the tournament details (in French).

As it was mentioned a few weeks ago, the 2015 Quebec Open will be merged with the International Championships of French-Speaking countries. All Canadian residents will be able to participate and no knowledge of French is required.

The entry fee will be at only $65 for all and there will be a blitz tournament ($2000 in prizes) and a rapid tournament ($4000 in prizes).

The FQE hope to repeat last year's huge success (for the 2014 Canadian/Quebec Open).

More details are available on the CFC Newsfeed.

Also, an important note : I have been receiving a lot of emails about the tournament lately. I will do my best to help everyone as much as I can, but I am not as involved in the organization as I was in the previous years. Inquiries can be sent to info@fqechecs.qc.ca

Re: 2015 Quebec Open : First details

Too bad Americans and Russians can't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Earlier this week, the FQE published most of the tournament details (in French).

As it was mentioned a few weeks ago, the 2015 Quebec Open will be merged with the International Championships of French-Speaking countries. All Canadian residents will be able to participate and no knowledge of French is required.

The entry fee will be at only $65 for all and there will be a blitz tournament ($2000 in prizes) and a rapid tournament ($4000 in prizes).

The FQE hope to repeat last year's huge success (for the 2014 Canadian/Quebec Open).

More details are available on the CFC Newsfeed.

Also, an important note : I have been receiving a lot of emails about the tournament lately. I will do my best to help everyone as much as I can, but I am not as involved in the organization as I was in the previous years. Inquiries can be sent to info@fqechecs.qc.ca
      Hi Felix:

Since all of you there were so good to Mario and I last summer, we can't help but come back for the Francophonie tournament. We've already got it in our books. Look forward to seeing you this summer.

Would La Francophonie need a blogger for the Open A - U 2000 section, maybe? I assume there will be a tournament website (likely there already is, and I'm, as usual, a bit behind the herd)?

I am not clear what the condition would be to play up a section in the U 2000 though (I would normally be in the U1800 section). Can you let me know?

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Re : Re: 2015 Quebec Open : First details

Hi Bob,

There is no website so far (besides the FQE website), but hopefully there should be one soon. I am sure the organizers would be interested in a blog again, although there will most likely be less participants from the other provinces than last year (and thus a smaller portion of English-speaking players). Perhaps the blog could return to Chesstalk, where the number of English-speaking readers is much higher.

However, as I mentionned in the first section, there will only be two sections : An open section and a U1600 section. This is really rare for a tournament in Quebec, but it was a strict requirement from the AIDEF, as this is much more common in Europe.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2015 Quebec Open : First details

Hi Bob,

There is no website so far (besides the FQE website), but hopefully there should be one soon. I am sure the organizers would be interested in a blog again, although there will most likely be less participants from the other provinces than last year (and thus a smaller portion of English-speaking players). Perhaps the blog could return to Chesstalk, where the number of English-speaking readers is much higher.

However, as I mentionned in the first section, there will only be two sections : An open section and a U1600 section. This is really rare for a tournament in Quebec, but it was a strict requirement from the AIDEF, as this is much more common in Europe.
          Hi Felix:

Thanks for the additional info.

1.The Open Blog - who would I contact in the organizers, to see if we could discuss a contract for Canadian Life Consulting (CLC), my company?

2. The Open Section - from what you say, is there NO playing up. Someone 1599 cannot apply to play in the Open section?

OR

Is the Open Section truly "open" - anyone at all of any rating can register for the "Open" section?

Thanks.

Canadian Life Consulting (CLC)

Comment

There is no mention of playing up in the ad, but since the first sectino is open, I would assume it is indeed open to all ratings. I would suggest you to write to the FQE (Louis Morin) at info@fqechecs.qc.ca for any information about the tournament or ideas for the blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              2. The Open Section - from what you say, is there NO playing up. Someone 1599 cannot apply to play in the Open section?

OR

Is the Open Section truly "open" - anyone at all of any rating can register for the "Open" section?
              Why do we have this discussion each and every year?

Have you ever tried registering in the US open for golf or tennis? You can't, because you're not good enough.

'Open' doesn't mean anybody can register. It just mean there's no restriction with regards to where you come from. But other limitations can apply.

IMO, the COC or COQ should have a rating limiation for the open section. We are organizing a 9 round swiss to determine who's the best guy. Anyone under 2200-2300 just doesn't belong there.

Comment

There is no mention of playing up in the ad, but since the first sectino is open, I would assume it is indeed open to all ratings. I would suggest you to write to the FQE (Louis Morin) at info@fqechecs.qc.ca for any information about the tournament or ideas for the blog.
                Hi Felix:

Thanks for your opinion.

I will contact Louis.

Canadian Life Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                  Why do we have this discussion each and every year?

Have you ever tried registering in the US open for golf or tennis? You can't, because you're not good enough.

'Open' doesn't mean anybody can register. It just mean there's no restriction with regards to where you come from. But other limitations can apply.

IMO, the COC or COQ should have a rating limiation for the open section. We are organizing a 9 round swiss to determine who's the best guy. Anyone under 2200-2300 just doesn't belong there.
                  Hi Mathieu:

I agree 100 % that the rule on "playing up" in organizers' advertising for tournaments is often non-existent, deficient, unintelligible, etc. This is a most important condition to class players. Many of us like to have the challenge of playing stronger players. And those of us wanting this have no trouble paying a playing up fee for the privilege. I play up whenever I can (drives many nuts, and likely you included), and have often......the players in the section above me know me and I know them (sometimes, too, my rating is high enough I can play there normally)....and I have found little if any resentment to having to play me, even from much higher-rated players, if I have contributed to their prize fund by paying an additional fee into it, and I am following organizer's rules. Also, many play up, and in the middle and later rounds, we all end up playing each other because of our low scores, not playing the elite players! We can't even see the elite players from where we are on the standings. So it is not like Magnus would have to play 9 1500's if he came and played, and playing up was allowed (in fact I believe he cannot..Norway is not part of the Francophonie).

In my view, the Francophonie advertising is somewhat ambiguous on this issue.

So a few minutes ago my company, Canadian Life Consulting (CLC), just wrote the organizers, through FQE (Louis Morin), for clarification ....I may well be in the situation of having to know this....I am generally above 1600, but intermittently recently, I have dropped from time to time into the high 1500's. The second section is U 1600. Is it the case, that if, when the tournament starts (I am registering shortly), I am 1599, I MUST play in the U 1600 (of course I will happily, but will be much happier if I can still play with my 1600 friends in the Open Section).

I will post the reply.

Comment

Hi again Felix:

You've got mail!

Comment

In previous years, the Open section of the Quebec Open used a sliding scale of entry fees to discourage low-rated players from entering - unless they were willing to pay (heavily) for the privilege. A formula was used - a minimum entry fee ($100? $200? I don't have the numbers handy), plus $1 for every rating point below 2400. For a player rated 2000, it would have cost $400 plus the "minimum entry fee" - and some players paid it!

Comment

Working...
                      X