A 2700+ GM Plays the French

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 2700+ GM Plays the French

So what's the deal? I seem to remember a thread where numerous people were slagging the French, and in particular the Winawer. If it's good enough for Kamsky then why isn't it good enough for us mortals?

http://www.chessbase.com/news/2009/f.../nalchik07.htm
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: A 2700+ GM Plays the French

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    So what's the deal? I seem to remember a thread where numerous people were slagging the French, and in particular the Winawer. If it's good enough for Kamsky then why isn't it good enough for us mortals?

http://www.chessbase.com/news/2009/f.../nalchik07.htm
    Hi Peter,

Actually, it was little old me writing about the evils of playing the Winawer against stronger players. In the game you linked, Kamsky got his clock cleaned and provides an example of how NOT to play the Winawer, even though the players were evenly matched. Karjakin was giving chess lessons. :)

Ban the Winawer!! :D
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Hi Peter,

Actually, it was little old me writing about the evils of playing the Winawer against stronger players. In the game you linked, Kamsky got his clock cleaned and provides an example of how NOT to play the Winawer, even though the players were evenly matched. Karjakin was giving chess lessons. :)

Ban the Winawer!! :D
      Gary,

Apart from the final result, your comments bear no relation to the actual content of this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
        Gary,

Apart from the final result, your comments bear no relation to the actual content of this game.
        Dan,

Apart from Kamsky blundering his way through the game, what did I miss? I know we could say if he had played better him might have drawn or won. Still, the wall chart shows a 0.

Don't get me wrong. I love the French Defence. Playing the white side gave me the points I needed to get my correspondence title.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

From ChessBase:

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5365

"Round seven review by GM Sergey Shipov

The following game notes were provided by FIDE and are translated (by Misha Savinov) from the comments of Sergey Shipov. We are grateful for permission to reproduce his commentary here. All photos by courtesy of FIDE.

The seventh round brought only minor changes to the overall picture. The leader remained the same. The main drama of the round occurred in Kamsky’s game – the American missed an easy win against Karjakin and did not manage to make the first time control.

Sergey Karjakin-Gata Kamsky
          Chess is brutal. It punishes you for every slight mistake you make. You can play most of the game brilliantly, and then lose concentration for a move or two – and it’s over. You are knocked out, like in boxing. I feel sorry for Kamsky. As a chess player, I understand very well how hard a blow it was for him. Gata handled the Winawer Variation of the French excellently, employed an interesting scheme with the knight on d5 (previously Black always put the knight on f5). Probably this is one of the lines prepared for the match against Topalov. After White captured the f7-pawn, Black’s pieces occupied excellent squares and began to bother the White king. Karjakin’s counterplay started with 21.a4 was probably the best practical chance in a difficult situation. The only thing he could do was to put the pressure on the opponent and force him to calculate a lot. I will not list here all the winning moves for Black. It is enough to point out the simple 27…Qxc2!, which could decide the game in a few moves. In the mutual time trouble Sergey acted quicker and more accurate – and Gata miscalculated, ended up in a lost position, and lost on time."
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re : A 2700+ GM Plays the French

In this game he played the risky Qc7 line. He could have play safer, and it would have been hard to break black pawn structure.

Comment

That looks like a fair analysis. In a game amongst equals, rather than a weak player using the defence against one who is weaker, for one reason or another the black side of that defense so often does poorly. I used Euwe, in his winning championship match against Alekhine, an example. His loses came with the Winawer and he liked his chances so much he kept playing it.

It's (the Winawer) a game, I guess.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Euwe and Alekhine, you might as well reference the Babylonians or the Sumerians, or if you want to be up to date how about the Egyptian Pharos?????

Comment

I beg to differ

From my first year of playing CFC chess:

[Event "Metro Toronto Active"]
                  [Date "1997.11.22"]
                  [Round "1"]
                  [White "Kiviaho, Bob"]
                  [Black "Siddeley, Hugh"]
                  [Result "0-1"]
                  [ECO "C18"]
                  [WhiteElo "2316"]
                  [BlackElo "1837"]
                  [TimeControl "30/SD"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 Ne7 7. Qg4 Qc7 8. Qxg7
                  Rg8 9. Qxh7 Nbc6 10. Ne2 cxd4 11. f4 Bd7 12. Qd3 dxc3 13. Nxc3 a6 14. Bd2 Na5
                  15. g3 Nc4 16. Be2 Nf5 17. Bf3 Nb2 18. Qf1 Nd4 19. Bd1 Rc8 20. Qf2 Qc4 21. Rc1
                  Nxd1 22. Kxd1 Ba4 23. Nxa4 Qxa4 24. Bb4 Rc4 25. f5 Nxf5 26. Bc5 Qc6 27. Bb6 Rgg4
                  28. Re1 d4 29. Ba5 Ne3+ 30. Ke2 Qb5 31. Qf6 Rxc2+ 32. Kf3 Qd5# 0-1

Isn't Bob Kiviaho a Correspondence GM?? I guess Active isn't his cup of tea!

Comment

Re: I beg to differ

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                    Isn't Bob Kiviaho a Correspondence GM?? I guess Active isn't his cup of tea!
                    Yes. Bob is a correspondence GM. Well known to many who write here.

I played Bob OTB and correspondence in the 70's as far as I recall. When he was quite a good player. He won both games.

I couldn't possibly comment on his play in the 90's at active (or any other) time controls. Haven't heard much about Bob recently. Maybe after losing that game to you he quit forever. I've lost to people who have put the thought of quitting in my mind.

I'm just kidding you, Hugh. Couldn't resist. :)
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                      Euwe and Alekhine, you might as well reference the Babylonians or the Sumerians, or if you want to be up to date how about the Egyptian Pharos?????
                      I don't visit museums. Many are a bunch of grave robbers. I'll have to take what you say at face value but I'm not sure how a world championship from what is still considered modern times could be compared to ancient biblical times. For all I know Kamsky might get the warm fuzzies from emulating Euwe.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

So I assume you reference only the first edition of ECO when you are playing correspondence? I mean heck its from the modern era right?

Comment

So I assume you reference only the first edition of ECO when you are playing correspondence? I mean heck its from the modern era right?
                          Actually, I'm looking at top GM games these days and up to date analysis and some publications.

I'm winding down my correspondence "career". Starting to feel my age. It doesn't come as easy as it once did. All I want to do is push wood like so many others.

On a happy note, I really enjoyed that game Samsonkin played against Nakamura. There was another beautiful game which wasn't mentioned. The next game when Nakamura took out the loss on Barron. What a crush! Did you see it?
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

No I didn't see it but I have a weak stomach for such things, I hate to see someone get crushed, especially someone of such a sweet disposition...

Okay I take that back, I watched the game, how the heck do you play that way against a GM, what the heck was he thinking, what kind of opening was that? Nights on the rim are dim and the exchange sac should not be surprising at all. At least play a6 like Anthony Miles did against Karpov.
                            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 24th April, 2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

No I didn't see it but I have a weak stomach for such things, I hate to see someone get crushed, especially someone of such a sweet disposition...

Okay I take that back, I watched the game, how the heck do you play that way against a GM, what the heck was he thinking, what kind of opening was that? Nights on the rim are dim and the exchange sac should not be surprising at all. At least play a6 like Anthony Miles did against Karpov.
                              I look at it differently. Nakamura didn't crush the person. He crushed the position. :)

I've played the Dutch against some strong correspondence opponents over the years but used a different move order. The result was pretty much in keeping with the expectation of the difference in elo rating but very nice. The reason I watched the game was to see how Nakamura would react to the previous loss. He made a statement!
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X