Nigel Short: Girls wired differently; not suited to play chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nigel Short: Girls wired differently; not suited to play chess

In the piece that I read in the Daily Mail it referred to Judit Polgar as the former World Women's Champion. When did that happen??

Comment

I have no idea. However, she played in the FJDE open candidates a couple of times. I'm a fan.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Judit didn't compete in Womens World Championships? it was her sister Susan in the late 90's.

Comment

Nigel Short might be a gm but on this subject he is more of an idiot. There are so many possible explanations for the lack of strong woman players besides the possibility that their brains aren't hard-wired to do as well in chess as men. Until you rule out the more likely causes (such as the small amount of woman players being too small of a sample size to compare to male chess players, different gender roles in society, how chess is viewed from each gender's perspective, etc...) such as societal quirks that keep woman from pursuing chess then you don't get to automatically assume the most offensive possibility is true.

Also Nigel seems to forget he was at one point the 2nd best player on Earth and Judit Polgar kicks the tar out of him in their classical record, so that shows at peak performance woman aren't that much lower than men.
          Last edited by Adam Cormier; Wednesday, 22nd April, 2015, 01:35 AM.
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
            you don't get to automatically assume the most offensive possibility is true.
            His conclusion (about chess) might be wrong but the fact is true.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25198063
            "Men and women's brains are 'wired differently'"
            "In the study, women scored well on attention, word and face memory, and social cognition, while men performed better on spatial processing and sensori-motor speed. "

http://www.webmd.com/balance/feature...-brains-differ
            How Male and Female Brains Differ
            Consider these recent findings. Researchers, using brain imaging technology that captures blood flow to "working" parts of the brain, analyzed how men and women process language. All subjects listened to a novel. When males listened, only the left hemisphere of their brains was activated. The brains of female subjects, however, showed activity on both the left and right hemispheres.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Love View Post
              Judit didn't compete in Womens World Championships? it was her sister Susan in the late 90's.
              I'm not sure, but I think the third sister, Sophia, also won the WWCC once? Anyone confirm this, and the year, and over whom (if my disaster memory is right).

Bob A

Comment

Short's remarks may be part of a larger, planned campaign or "war"

It is looking like these "controversial" (i.e., offensive to most but pleasing to some) remarks from Nigel Short are part of a larger "war" campaign against Susan Polgar and her husband. See, for example, for a version sympathetic to Short ...

Nigel Short and Susan Polgar at war

Those who simply say that Short is "controversial" are being disingenuous. This is nasty stuff and it's getting worse. The remarks about "the inferiority of women" at chess look to be simply an opening salvo, after which comes the suppressing fire, and so on.
                Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 22nd April, 2015, 03:22 PM.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I know Susan Polgar and like her a great deal. She has been a great promoter of the game of chess and continues to be a real leader in the game. I also count Nigel Short as a very good friend. He is a deliberate provocateur in his chess column at New in Chess believing, no doubt, that there is more than enough dry analysis in the magazine already.
                  I only wish the two were collaborators in making chess more interesting to a broader public but there is too much water under the bridge already. Pity.
                  On the "merits" of the issue, all I know is that there are at least three girls under 16 years old at our chess club who can beat me at the game.

Comment

It is unfortunate that the media seem to be confused between the two older Polgar sisters. Judit was, of course, on her recent retirement the strongest woman player of all time (with Hou Yifan coming up very fast) and has a record against Short of +8 =6 -3 in regular games (plus three wins at Amber) according to Megabase2015. Her older sister Susan was a multiple winner of the WWC and the first woman to earn the GM title; she has +1 =1 against Nigel at Amber.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                      Her older sister Susan was a multiple winner of the WWC
                      She won only once in 1996. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%2...s_Championship ]

Comment

The way Nigel describes it can be off-putting for most people but I think the general idea is somewhat correct. Just look at the top 100 women in the world and top 100 men, the only person who has any hope of reaching the upper limits is Hou Yifan. At the end of the day, you guys have to remember that Nigel just likes to have fun with his life and being provocative is probably very fun for him. Why bother with all this hatred? Everyone has an opinion, whether it be good or bad. If anyone is to blame, blame the newspapers, they're the ones who benefit the most out of all this controversy.
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                          I know Susan Polgar and like her a great deal. She has been a great promoter of the game of chess and continues to be a real leader in the game. I also count Nigel Short as a very good friend. He is a deliberate provocateur in his chess column at New in Chess believing, no doubt, that there is more than enough dry analysis in the magazine already.
                          I only wish the two were collaborators in making chess more interesting to a broader public but there is too much water under the bridge already. Pity.
                          On the "merits" of the issue, all I know is that there are at least three girls under 16 years old at our chess club who can beat me at the game.
                          Hi Gord:

SCC is a bit bigger.......I think I count about 8 under 16 y.o., who have all actually beaten me in the last year (and there are 3-4 of the younger ones I'm barely beating now.......not in future)!

Don't understand.....Why aren't they the "hard-wired" ones that Nigel meets all over the place, that are patzers??

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            The way Nigel describes it can be off-putting for most people but I think the general idea is somewhat correct. Just look at the top 100 women in the world and top 100 men, the only person who has any hope of reaching the upper limits is Hou Yifan. At the end of the day, you guys have to remember that Nigel just likes to have fun with his life and being provocative is probably very fun for him. Why bother with all this hatred? Everyone has an opinion, whether it be good or bad. If anyone is to blame, blame the newspapers, they're the ones who benefit the most out of all this controversy.
                            Well said!

Comment

Nigel is a master troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                                Why is there even a separation of boys and girls (and men and women) in chess? Could it all be a political ploy orchestrated by FIDE and regional federations to create an artificial sweetener to attract more women / girls into chess (by not throwing those women / girls in with the wolves, i.e. the men / boys) in order to ramp up the game's sex appeal?

There are no other divisions in chess aside from the national ones of the Olympiad. There isn't a World Oriental Chess Champion, nor a World Homosexual Chess Champion, nor a World Left-Handed Chess Champion.

By the very fact that women / girls are separated from men / boys in chess, THERE IS AN INVITATION TO PEOPLE TO COMPARE THE TWO DIVISIONS. And that comparison may lead to any number of conclusions, some more or less scientific than others. Brains wired differently? Well, if you find that offensive and want to prove otherwise, perhaps you need to provide contrary evidence, such as comparing IQ tests of women / girls versus men / boys. I for one would not be surprised to find that such contrary evidence exists. But then again, I can easily believe that there are cultural influences in many societies that give advantage to men / boys in intellectual pursuits such as science, engineering, mathematics... and even chess.

I'd still like to see people debate whether women / girls are less athletic than men / boys because they don't do as well in football. That seems about as meaningful as this chess debate.
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X