CFC Membership Statistics---Average and Median Ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Membership Statistics---Average and Median Ratings

Has anybody run the numbers on this. How many CFC members are there? What is the average rating of CFC members today? What is the median?
    I believe we would all be interested in the results.

Re: CFC Membership Statistics---Average and Median Ratings

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    Has anybody run the numbers on this. How many CFC members are there? What is the average rating of CFC members today? What is the median?
    I believe we would all be interested in the results.
    you would probably be interested in the information on this page http://www.victoriachess.com/cfc/dist_summary.php which was done a number of years ago by myself (not an official CFC project). The database and code for the database enquiries is not maintained so dynamic information from the related pages is probably not working well but the graphs and summary infomation is good.

You would also probably be interested in this page: http://www.victoriachess.com/cfcstats/mean.php which is a page I set up for the rating auditor so he can monitor for inflation. Data is available from 2006 to whenever I have uploaded recent data (currently end March this year). Use at your own risk as not all data queries are thoroughly error checked.

Comment

As of 31 March 2015. (5 year range in brackets):
      Median Rating of Top 100: 2338 (2336-2356)
      Average Rating of All Players Rated Above 1200 Active in the Past 12 Months: 1730 (1715-1750)
      Average Rating of All Players Rated Above 1200 Active in the Past 36 Months: 1702 (1662-1702)
      Average Rating of All Players Active in the Past 12 Months: 1387 (1170-1440)
      Average Rating of All Players Active in the Past 36 Months: 1318 (1083-1318)
      Note. The last two figures include a lot of very, very low rated players
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Many thanks. Very interesting.
        These stats do show a slight progression over the last three years in both categories.
        (I seem to recall several decades ago the CFC calculated the average around 1800 for what that was worth.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          As of 31 March 2015. (5 year range in brackets):
          Median Rating of Top 100: 2338 (2336-2356)
          Average Rating of All Players Rated Above 1200 Active in the Past 12 Months: 1730 (1715-1750)
          Average Rating of All Players Rated Above 1200 Active in the Past 36 Months: 1702 (1662-1702)
          Average Rating of All Players Active in the Past 12 Months: 1387 (1170-1440)
          Average Rating of All Players Active in the Past 36 Months: 1318 (1083-1318)
          Note. The last two figures include a lot of very, very low rated players
          the other point for Gordan to remember is that 5 years ago, a large number of sub 1000 players were being improperly rated for active games as regular games. That is no longer true so a large number of sub 1000 players have disappeared from the averages which explains the large change is average rating for all players over the last five years.

Comment

Thanks, Roger. Highly informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              How many CFC members are there?
              Recently released numbers for 2015 May are at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...6192#post26192

. Family Honorary Juniors Life Adults Total
              Totals 18 78 565 393 807 1861
              FQE players are not included (~1000?)

Historical data at http://www.chess.ca/membership-stats (only when the website is up)

Comment

Working...
              X