Conservative Cabinet Minister saves drunk Elizabeth May from further embarassment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservative Cabinet Minister saves drunk Elizabeth May from further embarassment

Alas I can't link to the youtube video because it shows a picture of Kadr waving severed human hand and foot trophies.

Re: Conservative Cabinet Minister saves drunk Elizabeth May from further embarassment

Only Americans would invade another country, be surprised that people living there fight back tragically killing one of their soldiers, arrest a 15 year old child, take him across the world, stick him in a jail for 10 years, torture him, put him on trial when he tells them what they want so they will stop torturing him and then stick him in jail for it. And only the Harper government would want to keep him there when the Americans have said they don't care. Classic.

Comment

Re: Conservative Cabinet Minister saves drunk Elizabeth May from further embarassment

Going back to the main topic of the thread, I for one would much prefer to see an MP falling down drunk than having a porcine Senator like Mike Duffy snouting in the public trough sucking up the public's tax money for his own bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
        Only Americans would invade another country, be surprised that people living there fight back tragically killing one of their soldiers, arrest a 15 year old child, take him across the world, stick him in a jail for 10 years, torture him, put him on trial when he tells them what they want so they will stop torturing him and then stick him in jail for it. And only the Harper government would want to keep him there when the Americans have said they don't care. Classic.
        Well said, Brian! Vlad's comments are just as offensive as Elizabeth May's.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          Well said, Brian! Vlad's comments are just as offensive as Elizabeth May's.
          Which Vlad are you referring to? You don't explain what you find offensive. If your comment was directed at me, then you must object to my placing corruption as more offensive than drunkeness.
          Please try to be clear in what you post.
          I call a spade a spade - a swine is a pig in my book.

Comment

By murdering a U.S. soldier, Omar Khadr took up arms against his own country, Canada which was part of the international coalition to fight the repugnant Taliban regime. In my mind that makes him a traitor.
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I don't understand how, on the one hand, Canada tries to help child soldiers in places like Sierra Leone while at the same time being okay with Khadr spending years in jail. To me it is irrelevant what he is fighting against. He was a child at the time. He may have been brainwashed. He certainly should not be treated the same as an adult in his situation, imo.

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              By murdering a U.S. soldier, Omar Khadr took up arms against his own country, Canada which was part of the international coalition to fight the repugnant Taliban regime. In my mind that makes him a traitor.
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

The SCC just rejected the feds case, minutes after the hearing, that Khadr should be treated as an adult offender. Good on the SCC. Welcome back Khadr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  The SCC just rejected the feds case, minutes after the hearing, that Khadr should be treated as an adult offender. Good on the SCC. Welcome back Khadr.
                  For my money, even with Harper appointments to the bench, our top court is one of the best in any country in the world. They are not afraid to make unpopular decisions (sometimes with government; sometimes with the masses), which are legally correct.

Bob A (Canadian litigation/administrative lawyer - non-practicing at the moment - declaring my conflict of interest! :) )

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to Vlad Drkulec.
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Your reply lacks nuance and an inability to see the other side. My post had nothing to do with who was fighting who or which side was wrong and which was right. It was about how a child soldier is being treated - not by the country which you say should consider him a traitor, but by another country. If Canada had wanted to put him in jail for what he did, that would be one thing. He would still be a child soldier, however. Finally, you are using a rule of law argument, completely overlooking the fact that the rule of law has been totally absent in his treatment from the beginning.

Comment

Are you saying that a 14 year old cannot be held responsible for murder? He admitted to the killing.
                        Paul Leblanc
                        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I appreciate Paul's argument. But mrecollection is that: Khadr was 15 years old at the time, under the influence and control of his jihadist parents and others; in the midst of a firefight, he tossed a grenade that killed a US army medic and wounded another soldier; he was tried in a military tribunal reserved for foreign "enemy combatants" (not applied to American jihadis) and generally regarded as failing to meet basic legal principles; he served years of a harsh sentence in US detention while nationals of other countries (e.g. Australia) were repatriated and long since released; and it took judicial intervention to require him to be brought back to Canada and now released on bail. Khadr is no hero but his treatment has been in clear violation of a handful of UN treaties.

Comment

He admitted to the killing after being tortured. Again, your inability to understand that he was a child is still confusing me. And if he did commit murder, he deserves a fair trial, what any other Canadian or American would expect to receive in his position. He got none of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              Going back to the main topic of the thread, I for one would much prefer to see an MP falling down drunk than having a porcine Senator like Mike Duffy snouting in the public trough sucking up the public's tax money for his own bank account.
                              Well I would like to see the leader of a party that thinks it is ready to govern avoid being falling down drunk. A certain lack of judgement is expected from those on the left. Most would like to see the Senate abolished.

Comment

Working...
                              X