KEVIN SPRAGGETT ON CHESS ( his blog )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KEVIN SPRAGGETT ON CHESS ( his blog )

I know, Tom. So you are suggesting kevin repeat this process as required?

Comment

Sure, it's fun to watch. ;-)
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        4) They irk him in some way.
        Let's face it, the past 15-20 years of CFC presidency has resulted in a downward slide. (both from a monetary, a membership , and a general chess events perspective ) Toronto for example, once a haven for chess events in the 1970's and 80's , nowadays rarely sees an event at all. We hope that PWC will continue next year.

As members of the CFC , honourary or not, we ALL should be irked.

Sidenote: The Phillipines has recently introduced chess in the school system. Why can't Canada do the same? Or at least make an attempt? We need presidents that do things!

Final note: Kevin Spraggett cares about Canadian Chess because he is Canadian.

Comment

Hagiography.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
            The new business manager is like the captain of a ship. Yes we can wait...............

'His legendary skills of leadership seem to have left him, he was curiously indecisive and unusually cautious.'
            Captain Smith --- sinking of the Titanic
            I think that's magnanimous of you to give the new guy such a vote of confidence before even seeing if he can increase the membership and balance the books. Charitible to a fault.

Regarding the Titanic, it's not like it ran into the iceberg because of bad luck. By all accounts I have seen, the problem had to do with "full steam ahead" and inattention to details.

In any case, I'm at a loss here. Could you explain to me why a person would write first class articles in a blog and spice it up with third rate cheap shots at the CFC? It's not like people haven't noticed the plight of the CFC.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              Hagiography.
              Undue reverence? We are talking about knowledge and truth as it applies to Canadian chess. Sometimes the truth hurts. And obviously the truth seems to be hurting some people.

Kevin Spraggett's blog is filled with knowledge and truth in its many forms: puzzles, reports, comics, humour, and concerns. And each viewer is entitled to their own opinion re: the contents. Sometimes, if we want improvement to happen, we must get ANGRY.

As to why great reports are linked with sarcasms --- its a blog. That's what people do in blogs. Read more blogs.

Comment

Truth??

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Regarding the Titanic, it's not like it ran into the iceberg because of bad luck. By all accounts I have seen, the problem had to do with "full steam ahead" and inattention to details.
                  Gary,

There were many reasons why the Titanic sunk, but mostly poor management decisions were to blame. The use of poorer grade rivets to save money has been the latest of proven facts contributing to the sinking.

Also of note: a ship worker died in the building of the ship. Because of money reasons, the management did not rescue the worker. He was sealed and died by suffocation.

it was during the plating of Titanic that she claimed her first victim. A worker was accidentally sealed inside the lining of the hull when he crawled between the layers of the double bottom to check the internal riveting. As horrifying as it sounds, this was not uncommon for the period, given the pace at which new ships were constructed. Unfortunately, once the plates had been riveted, there was no way to rescue the man. The cost of removing the rivets and the damage to the hull and frame work in doing so made for a hopeless situation.

That was bad luck and a bad omen.

http://www.lostliners.com/Titanic/construction.html

Poor management leads to failure --- proven fact.

Kevin Spraggett sometimes uses harsh words re: CFC management. Time will tell if he is correct. I will put my money on an experienced GM Thank you.

Comment

Things happen. I doubt we can blame someone dying during the building of the ship for the sinking. The Titanic sank because it hit an iceberg and the side was ripped open. Too many compartments were flooded.

An icebreaker and Ferry boat, the William Carson, which held over 200 passengers and more than 50 autos, also sank when it hit an iceberg. It ferried people between the mainland and Newfoundland. I think the year was 1977 or thereabouts. I was a passenger on that ship at least once but it didn't sink while I was aboard. However, all survived the sinking.

The rivets are always a handy reason when blame is assigned. A rivet can not protest.

Having workmates die on the job is no stranger to those who do dangerous work.

The CFC is not really significant. If they fail I suspect someone will start a new organization and ask for FIDE recognition. I support the CFC indirectly. I donate money to religious organizations and feel that if necessary Gawd will help the CFC.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      if necessary Gawd will help the CFC.
                      God save the CFC. It has been hit by a phallic shaped iceberg on the Ottawa River and sends out its distress signal ... ---... ...---... ...---... ...---...

Comment

Kevin's latest "contribution".

An indepth article, sometimes humourous, sometimes satyrical, and carefully scrutinized by my personal legal counsel. A brief history of the myths, the lies and the corruption behind chess politics in Canada during the past 20 years. A sincere attempt to explain why the CFC has been turned into an empty shell. Carefully researched , based on little known facts and insider information.

The true story of the 'success' behind CMA. Of the corruption in the general Canadian Chess Community. Of the dirty war that CMA Executive Director Larry Bevands waged against the CFC and Canadian Chess Legend Kevin Spraggett.

An indepth report on Canadian Chess during the past 20 years that will have you questioning your loyalties in chess. Blending humour, satire and truth of the politics of Canadian Chess, this article will change the way you look at organized chess in Canada. Controvertial, provocative and stimulating, this report will have been screened before publication by Canadian lawyers.

This article will appear within 5 weeks time.

Comment

Interesting. Anyone taking over/unders on how many people he bashes in the article? :)
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

You and I will probably make the list, Chris. More fun would be trying to guess all of the names...

Comment

I started a list but it was getting too long. There's a character limit on posts on this board ;)
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

should be an interesting read... The problem with blogs is they end up being a place to rant about personal slights. I guess we all get to find out when he posts his article!

Comment

Working...
                                X