• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
    Not when we organized them, at least.
    Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Felix wrote:

Hasn't the CFC traditionally given (at least) $1000 to the Canadian Open, and at least the same amount to the Closed in the past? I have no quick access to the financial statements of previous events at the moment.
    We didn't get it for the Canadian Opens in Edmonton in 2005 and 2009. They did offer free advertising in the magazine on the other hand there was also a requirement to have a bookstore with money going back to CFC so it probably balanced. at best.

Comment

Re: Canadian Open 2015

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      OK, my initial post wasn't clear enough, I agree. I'll clarify with some handy bullet points:

1-The FQE pours money into the CFC. More precisely: 8k/y.

2-The CFC is a joke.
      I understood that from your first post.
      [I wrote "seriously" because I hoped for a serious and informative response, not a sarcastic repetition of your previous claim.]

Let me make my question more clear:

1) Where do you get the $8,000 figure from?

Is it from this line in the CFC-FQE deal:
      "The FQE will pay a 9$ fee per adult membership and 4$ for junior and cadet membership. The payment will occur in the following fashion: On the anniversary date of the agreement, FQE will report its membership per category and pay an annual fee according to those numbers."

If so,

2) how has that money been spent?
      Again, acc to the CFC-FQE deal, the money should go to a fund which is managed 50% by the FQE and 50% by the CFC and used for "FIDE-related expenses... Including, but not limited to, Olympiads, World Cups, FIDE Congresses, World Junior and World Youth events."

I don't know how it has been spent. Maybe you can tell me. [or maybe someone else on this board can tell us all!?]

If, as you say, it has been "poured into" the CFC and wasted, then the blame would have to be shared by the CFC and FQE Trustees who are supposed to manage it.

Also, since the CFC-FQE deal expires August 1, 2015, maybe someone can offer suggestions about how the money could be better spent in the event that the deal is renewed... ?

Comment

From the 1997-98 fiscal year (as an example) - it's very time-consuming searching through them for figures.

The Closed received funding from the CFC of $1000 in 1995 and $6500 in 1996.

GL #4 from 1997-98 mentions that the CFC "gave money to the 1994 and 1997 [Canadian Open] events". The 1999 organizers had requested $4000 from the CFC.
        GL #5 from 1997-98 mentions that the CFC would grant $500 to the organizers of the 1998 Open (Ottawa). (that was the year that $4000 was spent on the Yanofsky book).

It's hard to find detailed budgets (CFC or Open) to confirm other grant figures. Often it was the Executive that approved Open bids, and the detailed info doesn't appear in the Governor's letters.

Comment

Thanks for the research, Hugh. I guess that was back in the days when the CFC actually tried to promote chess by encouraging major tournaments. Certainly the Ottawa Canadian Opens in 2007 and 2013 did not receive anything from the CFC and none from any level of government. (In 2007 we raised $100k in private sponsorships.)

Comment

We have been talking to a number of organizers over the course of the last year or two and we still await final word from our latest hope but the prognosis is not good at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
              If so,

2) how has that money been spent?
              Again, acc to the CFC-FQE deal, the money should go to a fund which is managed 50% by the FQE and 50% by the CFC and used for "FIDE-related expenses... Including, but not limited to, Olympiads, World Cups, FIDE Congresses, World Junior and World Youth events."
              Yes, I know about the agreement. My point was more about the fact that the FQE sends thousands of dollars to an organization that, let's be honest, doesn't look to be in good shape lately. And I'm pondering my words here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                From the 1997-98 fiscal year (as an example) - it's very time-consuming searching through them for figures.

The Closed received funding from the CFC of $1000 in 1995 and $6500 in 1996.

GL #4 from 1997-98 mentions that the CFC "gave money to the 1994 and 1997 [Canadian Open] events". The 1999 organizers had requested $4000 from the CFC.
                GL #5 from 1997-98 mentions that the CFC would grant $500 to the organizers of the 1998 Open (Ottawa). (that was the year that $4000 was spent on the Yanofsky book).

It's hard to find detailed budgets (CFC or Open) to confirm other grant figures. Often it was the Executive that approved Open bids, and the detailed info doesn't appear in the Governor's letters.
                well it is common for organizers who run in the red to after the fact ask for some help. The most recent such cases I recall is two Canadian Opens in Toronto (the first [2010] asked for free rating and the second [2011] asked something similar [but memory is fuzzy, might have asked for coverage for fees relating to an arbiter seminar]). I can also recall way back the London Canadian Open asking the CFC to "buy" their Canadian Open advertising banner to mitigate their costs.

Doesn't mean it is the norm for CFC to provide funding. But some organizers run in the red and in those situations the CFC governors tend to be a soft touch.

And Hugh, it would make understanding the thread much easier if you posted under the post you are commenting on.

Comment

Working...
                X