Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2015

Did I miss the announcement?
    What have the CFC executive and governors decided about this year's event. It is, after all, one of the principal reasons why the CFC exists.

Re: Canadian Open 2015

I believe the Canadian Open is cancelled this year? Unless I too missed an announcement.

I don't care much about the CO, but I do care about our provincial federation pouring 8k/year into that joke of an organisation that is the CFC. But I digress.

Comment

I guess what bothers me is that this is a very serious matter, a major failing by the CFC, and yet we have not had any serious communications on the matter to my knowledge.
      The CFC has only two roles left:
      1) ratings, which have been consistently bungled and are in any case done better by FIDE, or even the FQE;
      2) major tournaments, of which the most important by far is the Canadian Open.
      Why have we heard nothing from the 50+ governors on this issue???

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
        I do care about our provincial federation pouring 8k/year into that joke of an organisation that is the CFC. But I digress.
        Please elaborate.

(seriously)

The details of the CFC-FQE deal can be read here.

http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/...cfc-2012_0.pdf

Comment

At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post

Can we start looking for organizers for future years? Ottawa did 2007 and 2013 and there is a history of holding the tournament in Ottawa.

An Ottawa effort for CYCC/Canadian Open is a 2017 or 2018 project for us.

I would like to see a hand up for 2016.

CFC President Responded:

"I have received information that there will likely be two bids for the 2016 Canadian Open. One of the bids will look at an August time frame.

With regard to the 2015 Canadian Open, Hal Bond is in contact with a potential organizer who prefers to remain anonymous and will likely be able to tell us whether he will be going ahead or not shortly after the close of this meeting."

I have nothing more on this to report.

Comment

Re: At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

Yesterday I posted on the CFC voting members forum asking for an update, and I have not seen any response.

Comment

Re: At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

A google search on the Canadian Open gave me this chesstalk forum:http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...an-Closed-2015
              Not sure if the Canadian Open is being held this year, it doesn't appear anyone has bid on it?
              Another forum on this topic:http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...dian-Open-2015
              Because the Canadian Closed is happening this year a lot of money is being spent there (as far as I can tell, but then again I know next to nothing about this). Imho (warning! This is off topic) the CFC should look into improving their website and thus most likely the number of people in the CFC. When I started playing chess I played online against the computer, and then created an account on chess.com. I discovered the CFC website, but it did nothing to attract me. If you want to get the youth you either have to have a chess club do it or do it online, however I don’t think the CFC website does a good job of the online part of it. First reason, there is a login possibility that is unexplained and not for everyone as far as I can tell. Why is that even public without an explanation? I can "create" an account and it will send me an email saying my account is getting verified (something along those lines) when in reality there is no account ever created and it is never explained what happens with that. I still don't know exactly what it's for, though I'm guessing it's for the newsletter or editing the website or something along those lines. The FAQ means nothing to someone who is used to websites like chess.com, chessgames.com, chesstempo.com, lichess.org ect where the main purpose of the website it to play chess games, and the FAQ doesn’t explain what the CFC does. Nothing attracted me to the website, in fact the reason I started playing chess was due to Patrick McDonalds OYCC website (He always does a great job with his tournaments, and the oycc website was what got me playing otb). The CFC website is somewhat useful (when the information is updated) now that I know more about the CFC, but finding that information was extremely difficult. The CFC handbook maybe gives some clarity, but seriously who would read a handbook will all sorts of rules and details about Olympiads and other such things? The section 1 general information is not too helpful if you don’t know how the CFC works (and I still know next to nothing about how it works) , and starting out with the history of chess doesn't help keep the readers interest. The upcoming tournament are rarely up to date and missing some tournament (if you ask me to have a tournament CFC rated I think it should have to be advertised on the CFC website 30 days in advance with the dates and TC, however I'm not sure if this follows the CFC rules though, i've never gotten very far in the CFC handbook) and we're using a forum on a different website that isn't easily accessed (or accessed) from the CFC website. I hope this doesn't come across as whining, I'm just trying to make a few suggestions for ways the CFC could improve membership numbers. I mean really it’s 2015, if its not on the internet very few people (next to no youth) will ever join the CFC. Something they could really improve is having a condensed handbook with FAQ type stuff about provisional ratings (something I still don’t understand how it works) and other details starting at a base of what the CFC does, how it works, where the money for membership goes, and other details. I hope this doesn’t seem like a rant, if you follow the links I posted at the beginning of this post it should make a little bit more sense where this came from!

Comment

Re : Re: At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

The CFC does not offer financial support for the Canadian Zonal or the Canadian Open, so it should not change anything that this year is a zonal year. I can't argue about the state of the CFC website.

Comment

The Canadian Open wasn't cancelled - no one applied to hold it.

The Quebec Open (or whatever it's official name is this year) will be held as usual in Montreal July 17-25. Two sections; Open and U1600.

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/sites/...h-version5.pdf

(typo corrections: the second section is U1600 (not U600). La Citadelle isn't 17 minutes from the site - it's across the street (the Delta has an entrance on Sherbrooke St.)).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

Felix wrote:

The CFC does not offer financial support for the Canadian Zonal or the Canadian Open, so it should not change anything that this year is a zonal year. I can't argue about the state of the CFC website.
                    Hasn't the CFC traditionally given (at least) $1000 to the Canadian Open, and at least the same amount to the Closed in the past? I have no quick access to the financial statements of previous events at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Felix wrote:

Hasn't the CFC traditionally given (at least) $1000 to the Canadian Open, and at least the same amount to the Closed in the past? I have no quick access to the financial statements of previous events at the moment.
                      if that were true, they owe Victoria Chess $1000.......

(and $1000 doesn't go very far for the Canadian Open)
                      Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 25th May, 2015, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: At the May 2015 Quarterly Meeting

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        Felix wrote:

Not when we organized them, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                          1) ratings, which have been consistently bungled and are in any case done better by FIDE, or even the FQE;
                          That still requires the CFC input. Seems there is some backlog with results: https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...de&country=CAN

Comment

Nonsense. In 2007, we gave $50,000 to the CFC! Which was spent on a junket for Karpov and Sutovsky.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                              Please elaborate.

(seriously)

The details of the CFC-FQE deal can be read here.

http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/...cfc-2012_0.pdf
                              OK, my initial post wasn't clear enough, I agree. I'll clarify with some handy bullet points:

1-The FQE pours money into the CFC. More precisely: 8k/y.

2-The CFC is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X