Looking to buy used Monroi device and used Chronos Chess Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy used Monroi device and used Chronos Chess Clock

If you have any would you like to sell, please let me know.

Andrei Botez

Re: Looking to buy used Monroi device and used Chronos Chess Clock

People are still wasting their time with this monroi device?

Or maybe it's a situation where you'd want to buy low?

Comment

It's been listed (on the MonRoi site) at $359 ever since it was introduced (10-15 years ago?).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        It's been listed (on the MonRoi site) at $359 ever since it was introduced (10-15 years ago?).
        That's insane.

At least, their army of keyboard warriors seems to have vanished. Back in the days, they would go after you the minute you say something honest about their lousy products.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
          That's insane.

At least, their army of keyboard warriors seems to have vanished. Back in the days, they would go after you the minute you say something honest about their lousy products.
          Hi Mathieu,

Let's agree to disagree. Ther eare many features that I really like at Monroi. Do you know any product that can give live access to your children/students games in a no-spectators tournament? Plus the choice to have it live on internet.

Andrei

Comment

Andrei wrote:

Let's agree to disagree. Ther eare many features that I really like at Monroi. Do you know any product that can give live access to your children/students games in a no-spectators tournament? Plus the choice to have it live on internet.
            Don't you need a "PTM hub" to broadcast them live on the Internet? A single MonRoi doesn't have that capability (if I'm not mistaken).

Comment

Seems I was wrong about the army of keyboard warriors... :p

Comment

Seems I was wrong about the army of keyboard warriors... :p
                ChessTalk is a microcosm of the Internet, so there will always be outrage... :)

In any case, I used to complain about some of the features (or lack of features) of the original Monroi and more specifically about the price. I would have thought the price had dropped by now but apparently not. They are useful devices to replace a paper scorebook that used to be very popular, but the price is prohibitive. "Broadcasting" a tournament (or several boards) of a tournament using Monroi is probably cheaper than DGT boards but the Monroi requires at least one player in each game using the device and as mentioned, the 'hub or server' as well. I know the DGT boards are expensive, but they broadcast the moves without much in the way of help from the players... :)
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  Andrei wrote:

Don't you need a "PTM hub" to broadcast them live on the Internet? A single MonRoi doesn't have that capability (if I'm not mistaken).
                  Yes you do, and I have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                    Yes you do, and I have one.
                    The problem with MonRoi is that they totally missed the boat. In this day and age, you don't develop a 300$ single use device. That's insane. Anybody who's bought one probably regret it. And the device stores only 50 games... What is that? 1988?

You'd be doing much better developping a 3$ app for the iPhone and/or Android. I'd be willing to pay for an official iphone/android app to record chess games.

Comment

The problem with MonRoi is that they totally missed the boat. In this day and age, you don't develop a 300$ single use device. That's insane. Anybody who's bought one probably regret it. And the device stores only 50 games... What is that? 1988?

You'd be doing much better developping a 3$ app for the iPhone and/or Android. I'd be willing to pay for an official iphone/android app to record chess games.
                      Of course a phone app would be much much better, but you cannot use the phone in the tournament hall! The only reason Monroi is allowed is because it is a single function device! There is no (normal) possibility to run Komodo or Fritz or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Of course a phone app would be much much better, but you cannot use the phone in the tournament hall! The only reason Monroi is allowed is because it is a single function device! There is no (normal) possibility to run Komodo or Fritz or whatever
                        An iphone/android app could solve that problem. Anyways, it would be pretty obvious if anyone was using his iphone for anything else than recording the moves.

Comment

An iphone/android app could solve that problem. Anyways, it would be pretty obvious if anyone was using his iphone for anything else than recording the moves.
                          I don't know anything about Iphones or androids but isn't one of the most damning pieces of evidence that they have used to catch cheaters is that they have the current position on their phone?
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Mathieu, you surely realize that smartphones are multi-tasking computers that can easily run a chess engine while 'pretending' to be running an application that lets the user enter the moves of a game. There would be chaos if FIDE ever allowed random smartphones into tournaments 'as long as they are only used to record the moves'... yeah, right.

Of course it is possible to write an app that would DO that but it would be impossible to prove that only that scenario is actually in use. I presume the Monroi used proprietary software that Monroi has been able to convince FIDE that it cannot be circumvented (again, in general, I don't see how that can be proven). Nevertheless, FIDE seems to have allowed the use of that one device.

I cannot think of any way to prove a specific device has NOT been hacked to do something it was likely not intended to do - especially stock smart phones. A very specific device with some sort of tamper-proof firmware that was factory certified perhaps but even then I can imagine hacks.

Comment

Just have the app approved by the authorities. When it runs, everthing else is shutted down on the phone.

I know, it would be easy to bypass and all. But that's basically the same as having these official monroi devices. Anyone can hack a monroi so that it gives you moves in a coded way.

Comment

Working...
                              X