Any News on Cdn Amateur or Cdn Seniors events yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any News on Cdn Amateur or Cdn Seniors events yet?

Just wondering if a flyer has been made for the event yet? I'll have to book time off next month and wondered if any details have been made yet.

Re: Any News on Cdn Amateur or Cdn Seniors events yet?

Of course, or at least for his sibling tournament, the NA 2015 Junior held during the chessfest week. http://chessfest.ca/najunior.html is a navigation point there, with the current dates, and clicking on the relevant link on which you which to register for would get you an email for Patrick.

He does his own flyer, his own scheduling, and didn't quite mention there whether those dates were relevant for 2015 for the other sections - but I would imagine that if he updated one section, he updated it all.

Current club vp Ralph Deline had been working up north all year, and probably hadn't sent in the tournament submissions to the CFC office, or to check and see whether some of this year's tournaments had been double-booked. However, I did mention back in about April an approximate spring/summer schedule of events to their relevant columnists/editors. I'm not sure what information they (Bob Armstrong, John Upper) were able to use that I got forwarded from our club's organizers, but it appears that it might be currently harder to access TCN news archives now than in April, as it is no longer in business.

Hope that helps!!

Comment

The ad for the Seniors' event says:

"Veterans 50+ Senior 65+ Players must play in their appropriate section"

So if say someone 70 wanted to play in the 50+ section they couldn't?
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

The Cdn Amateur has conflicting dates we are to register on site Friday July 31 yet we are not to play Rd 1 till Aug 1. Is this a typo?
        In previous years the starting round was Friday to Monday.
        This new flyer says Sat to Tuesday.
        Please confirm dates.

I just saw the flyer now was there ever an announcement that the early cutoff for lowest entry was May 24th?

Comment

I believe thats correct Tom.

Comment

So if Duncan Suttles, for example, wanted to play in the 50+ division he wouldn't be allowed? I wonder what is the logic behind this rule.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

For such a small tournament it doesn't seem logical to have two sections, especially by age.
              I am forced to play in the 65+ section, probably against 6 or 7 other old geezers.
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Well, there's an obvious reason for the age-based restrictions. The boards for the 65+ section are just closer to the toilets. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                  For such a small tournament it doesn't seem logical to have two sections, especially by age.
                  I am forced to play in the 65+ section, probably against 6 or 7 other old geezers.
                  I suspect the idea is to line up with FIDE's championships and they are a qualifier for that competition.

https://www.fide.com/component/handb...4&view=article

They don't specifically say someone +65 is not qualified to play in the +50 veterans championship.

If someone can win the Canadian Seniors and play in the World Seniors with some of the good old timers, I can't see why it wouldn't be a good deal.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                    So if Duncan Suttles, for example, wanted to play in the 50+ division he wouldn't be allowed? I wonder what is the logic behind this rule.
                    Surely that is not the case. Duncan is, after all, 50+. In golf, the seniors (euphemistically called "champions") are also eligible to play with the young guns if they have the firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                      I wonder what is the logic behind this rule.
                      I'm sure somewhere there is a thread on ChessTalk that hashes over the issue of allowing juniors to play up an age group or two at the CYCC. Basically, it's the same issue except in reverse. Some people believe in a rigid interpretation of the age groups to the exclusion of practical issues (section size, desires of the participants), some don't.

Comment

It didn't occur to me to play up (down?) to the 50+ group when I registered online but I suppose I could have. I had to give my date of birth but there was nothing blocking me from selecting 50+ instead of 65+ for my shopping cart.
                        Paul Leblanc
                        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                          I'm sure somewhere there is a thread on ChessTalk that hashes over the issue of allowing juniors to play up an age group or two at the CYCC. Basically, it's the same issue except in reverse. Some people believe in a rigid interpretation of the age groups to the exclusion of practical issues (section size, desires of the participants), some don't.
                          Good point. I always cringe when I see a talented young player losing his/her time in a weak age group at the CYCC, playing against kids the same age, but with a 200+ rating advantage on each. It's certainly not helping progression but hey! He/she gets to be champion for U-something. And I'm not blaming the kids or their parents. Seems like it's the rule.

As you said, the same should be done for seniors. A 67 yo. guy is also 50+.

Comment

The Original Seniors event was limited to players 60+ to play in the FIDE Seniors World.
                            I'm not sure why 50+ was created maybe someone who knows about FIDE would know why.

Comment

Working...
                            X