The Chess Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chess Tablet

Another Canadian Chess publication I had never heard of until last week.

Offset printed and on the front page/cover, it says "The Chess Tablet published by The Members of Toronto Central YMCA Chess Club." It was dated November/December, most likely 1957 because all the news and games are from 1957.

I have a single issue, vol. 1, # 7. Does anyone remember this publication?

I received this item from Frank H. Anderson (mentioned in the bulletin) who knew the master Frank R. Anderson.

At lunch, some of the names Frank H. Anderson recalled are: Ray Orlando, Keith Kerns (if I recall = R.I.P.), Paul Hytinen, Jack Kngetsu, Don Richardson, Bernard Freedman, R. I. P. (he had a lot to do with this issue and is well known, of course), Henry Herbst, Ross Siemms (the great junior of the time who played considerable CC) and Larry Humpage (Sp?).

There are some Canadian games inside and a column mentions the Toronto Chess League with captains, Don Richardson, Denis Panovacz, Kjell Frantzen and Jim Costello.

I would welcome any reminiscers of information regarding the above.

Re: The Chess Tablet

Roy (Ray?) Orlando continued to play at the Toronto Chess Club into the 1980s and had many interesting tales of Frank Anderson, especially regarding his discouragement with the CFC after the Tel Aviv 1964 games.

Keith Kerns was an indefatigable organizer and a big force behind the 1964 Canadian Open in Scarborough.

Paul (Pavel) Hyttinen (sp?) was a Finnish emigre, a strong expert and a very talented landscape artist. He sold canvases door to door in Weston sometime in the 1950s with my Grandfather purchasing two big ones for his living room walls.
    I knew these pictures well a long time before I met the artist. As I recall he played 1.Nf3 2.b4 Deferred Polishes.

Comment

Re: The Chess Tablet

This newsletter was mentioned in the Toronto Star chess column, but I don't know exactly when. I suspect it didn't get enough subscribers and folded. As you know, Toronto news was covered in Frank Anderson's Hamilton column and later Chess Chat.

Comment

Working...
      X