Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official protest to the CYCC organizers

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    ... The issue for me about reopening playing up in CYCC for discussion is the rule in the NFP act that states that we cannot revisit something that has been decided for a period of five years. ...
    Vlad, it seems highly improbable that the federal government would constrict an NFP corp., in such a heavy-handed way, from dealing with what is essentially an operating issue. Surely your view must result from a misunderstanding of the NFP Act. Please provide the section and sub-section of the Act that has led you to your five-year interpretation so that others may have a look for themselves. This isn't the first time you've raised this matter and I think it needs to be clarified once and for all (I'm surprised that other executive members haven't requested clarification; c'est la CFC, I guess :().
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Song View Post
      I like your thoughts :) I'm to for a competitiveness and not exploiting holes in rules. (I don't think that a player who played once in "upper" section can not return to his own.)

Comment

Why are you allowing a Jump up in a National event in the First Place?
        Hey if you are a certain age.PLAY in your section.
        Really what is this all for to make a debate?
        Why does the CFC have loop holes that allow playing up anyway.
        Do not allow playing up . Close the files on this thread.
        Plan and simple.

Comment

The sections are not for a certain age ie. 14 and 15 for example. The sections are under a certain age. The important issue is a deadline for registration in a specific. It might also be important for registration to be blind. ie. players do not know who else has registered for a specific section. I think the former is probably more important than the latter.

Comment

How about setting a pre-registration deadline? You must decide if you want to play up or not before that date. Anyone who registers later would have to play in their "regular" age group..

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
              I remember one case in which this 5-year rule was not followed or ignored.
              As far as I know the five year rule is something new that came in with the NFP act. It is something to prevent voting members from riding the same hobby horses over and over again. Contrary to my recollection it doesn't seem to prevent the directors of the corporation from doing the same thing (riding the same hobby horses over and over).

On Jan 2013 governors discussed the motion to increase the number of required games for Olympiad Team from 10 to 20. The motion was defeated that time, but was accepted 2 years later, after 2014-Olympiad.

Providing this case doesn't mean that I would like to change the current rules. It's really unclear to me.
              From my point of view I still tend to my original view which is that playing up in age should be discouraged in CYCC but do not see this as an important issue that trumps the other 20 things we should be dealing with which are probably a higher priority.

Comment

And some of us do not see this as playing up. Theoretically, a 10 year old can play in any age group s/he chooses.

Comment

As far as I know the five year rule is something new that came in with the NFP act. It is something to prevent voting members from riding the same hobby horses over and over again. Contrary to my recollection it doesn't seem to prevent the directors of the corporation from doing the same thing (riding the same hobby horses over and over)....
                  I'm assuming that you're referring to the 'Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act'. I just used my word search function to search the Act for the word 'five'. It doesn't appear anywhere in the Act. Where are you getting this five-year business from?
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    I'm assuming that you're referring to the 'Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act'. I just used my word search function to search the Act for the word 'five'. It doesn't appear anywhere in the Act. Where are you getting this five-year business from?
                    You should really include government websites explaining the act in your search.

Member Proposals

Generally, the directors are responsible for setting the agenda of members meetings. However, members have a right to add items to the agenda by submitting a notice – known as a “proposal” – to the corporation 90 to 150 days before the anniversary of the previous annual meeting of members. In this regard, any member entitled to vote at an annual meeting of members may submit a proposal to the corporation about any matter that the member wishes to raise at the meeting of members. Footnote 4 This includes the right of a voting member to submit a proposal to make, amend or repeal by-laws.

If a proposal includes nominations for the election of directors, the NFP Act states that the proposal must be signed by at least 5% of the members entitled to vote at the annual meeting. However, the Act also permits the corporation to use its by-laws to lower this percentage (for example “at least 2%”), but not to raise it.

With few exceptions, the corporation is required to include the proposal in the notice of meeting that is sent to the members.Footnote 5 If requested by the member who submits a proposal, the corporation is required to include in the notice of meeting a statement by the member in support of the proposal and the name and address of the member. The regulations provide that the statement and proposal shall not exceed 500 words in total.

The member who submitted the proposal is required to pay any cost of including the proposal and statement in the notice of meeting unless it is otherwise provided in the by-laws or in an ordinary resolution of the members present at the meeting.

It should be noted that directors are not obliged to include the proposal if:

the submission of the proposal does not meet the requirements above; or
                    the proposal is improper, in that:
                    it is intended to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the corporation, or its directors, officers, members or debt obligation holders;
                    it does not relate in a significant way to the activities or affairs of the corporation;
                    not more than 2 years before the receipt of the proposal, the member failed to raise the matter covered by the proposal at a meeting of members;
                    it is substantially the same as a proposal previously submitted to members less than 5 years ago and it did not receive the minimum required support at that meeting Footnote 6; or
                    the rights to submit proposals are being abused to secure publicity.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc...g/cs05006.html

The proposal could be submitted by the directors. My reading is that it could not be submitted by a voting member because substantially the same issue was dealt with within the last five years. Time is short with regard to bringing it up at the upcoming AGM. I recall arguing that playing up should not be allowed less than five years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec May 13,2016 View Post
                      That was a totally constructive post that shouldn't upset anyone. The issue for me about reopening playing up in CYCC for discussion is the rule in the NFP act that states that we cannot revisit something that has been decided for a period of five years. ...
                      Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec May 16, 2016 View Post
                      As far as I know the five year rule is something new that came in with the NFP act. It is something to prevent voting members from riding the same hobby horses over and over again. Contrary to my recollection it doesn't seem to prevent the directors of the corporation from doing the same thing (riding the same hobby horses over and over). ...
                      You should really include government websites explaining the act in your search. ...
                      Alright!! Now we're making headway. Thank you for (finally ) clarifying that the five-year rule to which you have referred more than twice (i.e. not just the first two quotes above) does not come directly from the NFP Act at all.

Comment

You should really include government websites explaining the act in your search.

Member Proposals

It should be noted that directors are not obliged to include the proposal if:

the submission of the proposal does not meet the requirements above; or
                        the proposal is improper, in that:
                        it is intended to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the corporation, or its directors, officers, members or debt obligation holders;
                        it does not relate in a significant way to the activities or affairs of the corporation;
                        not more than 2 years before the receipt of the proposal, the member failed to raise the matter covered by the proposal at a meeting of members;
                        it is substantially the same as a proposal previously submitted to members less than 5 years ago and it did not receive the minimum required support at that meeting Footnote 6; or
                        the rights to submit proposals are being abused to secure publicity.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc...g/cs05006.html

The proposal could be submitted by the directors. My reading is that it could not be submitted by a voting member because substantially the same issue was dealt with within the last five years. Time is short with regard to bringing it up at the upcoming AGM. I recall arguing that playing up should not be allowed less than five years ago.
                        Something that jumps to one's attention on a first reading of your blue text is that the Directors are not **OBLIGED** to accept a proposal from a member if one of the given scenarios applies. It doesn't say they CAN'T accept the proposal; rather, it seems to be a matter of choice. And if the Directors are perceived as being unreasonable *ssholes (Heaven forbid that should ever happen!!), the NFP Act contains a provision for the removal of the Directors by the voting members.

p.s. Sorry. Now I'm forgetting to include section numbers: going from memory - section 170 (5)
                        Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 16th May, 2016, 07:40 PM. Reason: section number in nfp act

Comment

• NFP act versus NFP website.

Ok, now I'm completely buffaloed. I looked both the NFP act, which does not mention any explicit time limits for passing motions and the GoC website about operating a not for profit act, which does give the 5 year term limit.

How is it that the GoC website can define terms that are not covered by the NFP act without modifying the act?

Any lawyers out there?

Comment

• Re: NFP act versus NFP website.

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                            Ok, now I'm completely buffaloed. I looked both the NFP act, which does not mention any explicit time limits for passing motions and the GoC website about operating a not for profit act, which does give the 5 year term limit.

How is it that the GoC website can define terms that are not covered by the NFP act without modifying the act?

Any lawyers out there?

Not from a lawyer: the NFP act comes with Regulations. http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regula...223/index.html

Look in the ACT ( http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-7.75/FullText.html ) 163(6)e
                            (e) substantially the same proposal was submitted to members in a notice of a meeting of members held not more than the prescribed period before the receipt of the proposal and did not receive the prescribed minimum amount of support at the meeting; or
                            and Regulations:
                            68 (1) For the purpose of paragraph 163(6)(e) of the Act, the prescribed minimum amount of support is

(a) three per cent of the total number of memberships voted, if the proposal was introduced at one annual meeting of members;

(b) six per cent of the total number of memberships voted at its last submission to members, if the proposal was introduced at two annual meetings of members; and

(c) 10 per cent of the total number of memberships voted at its last submission to members, if the proposal was introduced at three or more annual meetings of members.

(2) For the purpose of paragraph 163(6)(e) of the Act, the prescribed period is five years.

You can see that FIVE years is not an absolute criteria, the previous proposal must have been totally worthless at the time of discussion.

Why those numbers are in separate documents >> that for lawyers :) Maybe it's written somewhere in those documents (act and regulations).

Comment

I was wondering the same thing, Garland. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                                I was wondering the same thing, Garland. :)
                                look one post up - my answer came at the same time as your post.

Comment

Working...
                                X