Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official protest to the CYCC organizers

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Why are you and the other executives clinging to power for so long already when the most obvious things like Handbook and Website are not even on the burner? To endorse Iliumzhinov? Done already, what's next? Endorsement of Filatov in 2018?
    I've noticed that some people on the Chess Talk, including top junior Renee Preotu, questioned when the balance of the funds CFC is supposed to get from the FIDE as a result of endorsing Iliumzhinov are coming so the tournaments with norms could be organized. And he is not alone and should not be ignored. I personally think that it is a devious scheme and now when it is clear that CFC was BOUGHT for $80,000.00 of which $20,000.00 was actually paid. Therefore I've offered CFC a way to get these funds directly from the 20% of the World Championship Prize which AGON is organizing in in October in New York - these proceeds will be at least $200,000.00. Is there anything wrong with it? Our juniors are biggest benefactors of these funds. Why no executive/voting member except me is not pursuing this opportunity? I've written it to ALL executives and voting members and so far no reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
      I've noticed that some people on the Chess Talk, including top junior Renee Preotu, questioned when the balance of the funds CFC is supposed to get from the FIDE as a result of endorsing Iliumzhinov are coming so the tournaments with norms could be organized. And he is not alone and should not be ignored. I personally think that it is a devious scheme and now when it is clear that CFC was BOUGHT for $80,000.00 of which $20,000.00 was actually paid. Therefore I've offered CFC a way to get these funds directly from the 20% of the World Championship Prize which AGON is organizing in in October in New York - these proceeds will be at least $200,000.00. Is there anything wrong with it? Our juniors are biggest benefactors of these funds. Why no executive/voting member except me is not pursuing this opportunity? I've written it to ALL executives and voting members and so far no reply!
      Sasha,

You're Master of Diversion #2. Please don't hijack this thread. I'm running out of them.

Before you post something about my son please do your homework. His name is Razvan and my name is Rene

Comment

You've been using these lines since you became the CFC president. I think this should be the number 1 priority for the next president.
        I think you would make a great president.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          I think you would make a great president.
          I'm not interested. Maybe in 3 years after Razvan is done with the junior level I'll try for the junior coordinator position. I hate conflicts of interest like being the CFC president and preparing kids for CYCC/NAYCC that I'm organizing. I strongly recommend to change the official site for the CYCC/NAYCC or remove this page http://windsorchess.org/lessons.php
          Last edited by Rene Preotu; Tuesday, 10th May, 2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
            I'm not interested. Maybe in 3 years after Razvan is done with the junior level I'll try for the junior coordinator position. I hate conflicts of interest like being the CFC president and preparing kids for CYCC/NAYCC that I'm organizing. I strongly recommend to change the official site for the CYCC/NAYCC or remove this page http://windsorchess.org/lessons.php
            Now you are just being silly. That is a Windsor Chess website. There would be no Windsor chess without chess lessons and organizing tournaments and the efforts of chess instructors. I do not make money from being CFC president. I do not make money from running the three tournaments. If I don't make money I can't live. That is hardly a conflict of interest which is a very specific thing and not what some random person on chesstalk thinks it is.

Comment

Now you are just being silly. That is a Windsor Chess website. There would be no Windsor chess without chess lessons and organizing tournaments and the efforts of chess instructors. I do not make money from being CFC president. I do not make money from running the three tournaments. If I don't make money I can't live. That is hardly a conflict of interest which is a very specific thing and not what some random person on chesstalk thinks it is.
              You are the CFC president -> Links from the CFC website for CYCC and NAYCC are sending parents to the Windsor Chess website where you have posted rates for individuals chess lessons http://windsorchess.org/lessons.php
              I'm not saying you're not allowed to make money as chess instructor. This will be really silly. I was just recommending you to remove that page until these 2 tournaments are completed.
              I'm sure other random persons on chesstalk are thinking the same but they didn't bother saying it. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by my recommendation.

Comment

That is hardly a conflict of interest which is a very specific thing and not what some random person on chesstalk thinks it is.
                https://chrismacdonald.ca/resources/...c-coi-toolkit/

Comment

Sasha,

You're Master of Diversion #2. Please don't hijack this thread. I'm running out of them.

Before you post something about my son please do your homework. His name is Razvan and my name is Rene
                  Yes, I've already realized it, sorry. No more posts from me on this thread.

Comment

You are the CFC president -> Links from the CFC website for CYCC and NAYCC are sending parents to the Windsor Chess website where you have posted rates for individuals chess lessons http://windsorchess.org/lessons.php
                    I'm not saying you're not allowed to make money as chess instructor. This will be really silly. I was just recommending you to remove that page until these 2 tournaments are completed.
                    I'm sure other random persons on chesstalk are thinking the same but they didn't bother saying it. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by my recommendation.
                    One of the advantages of the new NFP act is that it clearly states what the rules are in terms of conflict of interest. The conflict of interest has to be disclosed. Everyone knows that I teach chess. It is right there on my website and I certainly make no secret of the fact that I teach chess. If I didn't teach chess I would probably not be involved in CFC politics. I do it for others and not for myself.

I can even engage in a contract with the CFC as long as the contract is reasonable and fair and disclosed. I do not engage in any contracts with the CFC and I usually don't even bother to charge expenses to the CFC when they occur. I have been told that I am not charging enough for my chess services by members of the executive, the chess playing public and parents of chess players in other chess markets. My rates are set such that if someone cancels even at the last minute I am not too upset because I always have things to do. The upset comes when I have multiple students asking for lessons on the same day or time and someone cancels after I told one or more people that I wasn't available because I had a lesson scheduled.

The decision to use that website instead of Windsorchess.com which I also have administrative access to is that I already had the domain up and running. The person who set up windsorchess.com one of my former Friday chess class students, You Zhou (George Zhou's son and Lily Zhou's brother) uses dreamweaver which I don't have. I can use the tools that host papa provides on windsorchess.com but I suspect that it might mess up You's interface if I do anything non-standard and it might disappear every time You does an update. I can also use the interface and admin password that You gave me to post news and new tournaments but putting up web pages might be more problematic. I estimated it would take me a few weeks to set things up on windsorchess.com with many hours of back and forth. Instead I was able to do a simple website for the three tournaments in a few hours. John Coleman doesn't like my design approach but it was the design of several canned designs provided by host papa that I liked the best. By the way the same information about lessons appears on the WindsorChess.com website and did last year during CYCC. I am also listed as a chess instructor on the CFC list of chess teachers.

Comment

This person appears to be a private consultant with an interest in broadening the definition of conflict of interest because that is how he makes a living. That seems to be a conflict of interest by your and his definition. Who died and made him an authority? I am most interested in what the government of Canada and the law which covers non profit Canadian corporations says. I am on solid ground there.

Comment

I am most interested in what the government of Canada and the law which covers non profit Canadian corporations says. I am on solid ground there.
                        If you don't agree with that definition can you please post a link to "your" definition of conflict of interest? I'm sure you have more experience in NFP organizations than I have.

Comment

One of the advantages of the new NFP act is that it clearly states what the rules are in terms of conflict of interest. The conflict of interest has to be disclosed. Everyone knows that I teach chess. It is right there on my website and I certainly make no secret of the fact that I teach chess. If I didn't teach chess I would probably not be involved in CFC politics. I do it for others and not for myself.

I can even engage in a contract with the CFC as long as the contract is reasonable and fair and disclosed. I do not engage in any contracts with the CFC and I usually don't even bother to charge expenses to the CFC when they occur. I have been told that I am not charging enough for my chess services by members of the executive, the chess playing public and parents of chess players in other chess markets. My rates are set such that if someone cancels even at the last minute I am not too upset because I always have things to do. The upset comes when I have multiple students asking for lessons on the same day or time and someone cancels after I told one or more people that I wasn't available because I had a lesson scheduled.

The decision to use that website instead of Windsorchess.com which I also have administrative access to is that I already had the domain up and running. The person who set up windsorchess.com one of my former Friday chess class students, You Zhou (George Zhou's son and Lily Zhou's brother) uses dreamweaver which I don't have. I can use the tools that host papa provides on windsorchess.com but I suspect that it might mess up You's interface if I do anything non-standard and it might disappear every time You does an update. I can also use the interface and admin password that You gave me to post news and new tournaments but putting up web pages might be more problematic. I estimated it would take me a few weeks to set things up on windsorchess.com with many hours of back and forth. Instead I was able to do a simple website for the three tournaments in a few hours. John Coleman doesn't like my design approach but it was the design of several canned designs provided by host papa that I liked the best. By the way the same information about lessons appears on the WindsorChess.com website and did last year during CYCC. I am also listed as a chess instructor on the CFC list of chess teachers.
                          Vlad,
                          You better stop posting before you dig yourself a bigger hole.
                          I saw a problem (a player can play up one year and move back to his age group next year), I've tried to suggest a fix and you answered me with sarcasm. End of story.

Comment

Vlad,
                            You better stop posting before you dig yourself a bigger hole.
                            I saw a problem (a player can play up one year and move back to his age group next year), I've tried to suggest a fix and you answered me with sarcasm. End of story.
                            Rene, you saw a problem. When the debate came up, before I was president and when I was masters representative, I argued against allowing playing up in CYCC. I was not successful in my argument. By my reading of the NFP act, we can't deal with substantially the same issue in a meeting for five years after it was previously dealt with. The perception is that you are upset with a particular player and are trying to punish that player. I am not interested in punishing someone who did nothing wrong even if I disagreed with the rule that allowed him to play up when it was proposed.

At this point I am too busy to even punish people who deserve punishment.

Comment

Rene, you saw a problem. When the debate came up, before I was president and when I was masters representative, I argued against allowing playing up in CYCC. I was not successful in my argument. By my reading of the NFP act, we can't deal with substantially the same issue in a meeting for five years after it was previously dealt with. The perception is that you are upset with a particular player and are trying to punish that player. I am not interested in punishing someone who did nothing wrong even if I disagreed with the rule that allowed him to play up when it was proposed.

At this point I am too busy to even punish people who deserve punishment.
                              OMG are you reading my post? I'm not upset with a particular player and I'm not trying to punish him. He can play up he wants but playing "down" after he already played up a year before is just not fair for the other players. Last year it was OK for him to play in the U18 and now it's not?

Comment

OMG are you reading my post? I'm not upset with a particular player and I'm not trying to punish him. He can play up he wants but playing "down" after he already played up a year before is just not fair for the other players. Last year it was OK for him to play in the U18 and now it's not?
                                If playing up is allowed then playing up one year and in your own section the next year is neither fair nor unfair. It's simply a case of a player making a decision he's allowed to make. Speaking of which, aren't both of you missing something? I thought the major point of last year's brouhaha on playing up was that the CFC hadn't bothered to make a correct and complete set of CYCC rules readily available for the players/their parents which in turn meant that there was not a level playing field for all players. Apparently there is still no complete and readily available set of rules(?).

Regarding conflict of interest, Vlad is using a national championship to promote his own business. I think it's a conflict of interest if other chess coaches don't have equal opportunities to promote their businesses via the CYCC. Just my opinion.

p.s. Should coaches be allowed free advertising?
                                Last edited by Peter McKillop; Wednesday, 11th May, 2016, 11:44 AM.
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X