Official protest to the CYCC organizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official protest to the CYCC organizers

it was mentioned the rule changed in 2012, players are allowed to play up, as it should be, that is great decision of CFC if it is true. The local organizers did great job this year.
    if a player can qualify in U18 instead of U16, and represent Canada in WYCC, it is always good that Canada has better representative, who cares how young he/she is, Why not allow younger stronger player to represent Canada.
    I still hate the decision that CFC or Ottawa organizers ruled against my child playing up in 2012 despite she was 2nd highest ranked in her section at that time.
    Last edited by George Zhou; Friday, 10th July, 2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Reading this thread, I think your questions have been answered. You just don't agree with the answers. Seems to run like this:

1. How is Sam Song an exceptional player if he is rated 13th in his age group? Answer: Since 2012 the "exceptional" requirement has been dropped. Anyone can play up once they qualify for the CYCC.
      2. Why was he preregistered in the U16 and then allowed to play in the U18 without any announcement? The U18 players found out about this after the 1st round pairings were posted. Answer: There is no rule stating that such changes have to be announced.
      3. Is CFC going to pay for his WYCC trip if he comes 1st or if he comes 2nd and the winner declines to go? Yes. By coming in first or second he has shown himself to be the best qualified within that group.

It does not appear that anyone considers this to be a bad call besides yourself. I don't see anyone else agreeing with you on this thread.

Comment

I think Rene has a legitimate concern. If a competitor's objective is to earn a trip to the WYCC, then being able to switch sections becomes a strategic consideration. If some competitors are effectively denied the option to change sections because the CFC has failed to provide all competitors with a clear copy of the up to date rules, then an element of unfairness has been introduced. I see this issue as a failing of the CFC. After all, a parent shouldn't have to go sifting through the CFC handbook and online minutes trying to find out what the rules are. Neither should the organizers. The CYCC rules should be explicitly clear and readily available. I think the CFC owes Rene an apology and a promise to do a better job next year.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          I think Rene has a legitimate concern. If a competitor's objective is to earn a trip to the WYCC, then being able to switch sections becomes a strategic consideration. If some competitors are effectively denied the option to change sections because the CFC has failed to provide all competitors with a clear copy of the up to date rules, then an element of unfairness has been introduced. I see this issue as a failing of the CFC. After all, a parent shouldn't have to go sifting through the CFC handbook and online minutes trying to find out what the rules are. Neither should the organizers. The CYCC rules should be explicitly clear and readily available. I think the CFC owes Rene an apology and a promise to do a better job next year.
          Unfairness? If a parent tries to facilitate their precious one on to the world stage by playing games with the sections, some might claim this is "unfair". Equally the parent who complains about it is surely guilty of the same "crime". Seems like a level playing field to me..... Harumph, harumph!
          Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I agree that players should be allowed to play up, UNLESS they are in the event because they won a qualifier for a certain age group. That should be the rule, plain and simple. And yes, even such a simple rule can be used for gamesmanship... it just so happens, I gather, that in this specific year, the U18 section is (rating-wise) weaker than the U16 section, and so moving up is a no-brainer. (But there is a price: the player moving up may do well enough to get to go to the world event, but will also have to play up there, and probably the U18 section is stronger than the U16 section there.)

I'm wondering if Rene is upset because he simply didn't think of it himself for Razvan, who I'm assuming could also have moved up? But I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread whether or not Razvan could have also moved up, so I don't know the answer to that.

As far as Rene thinking of it as a "cheap trick", well, wasn't Rene accused of using a cheap trick just a few months ago at a Niagara Falls event... registering his son at the last moment to clean up on the prizes, or something like that? There was a lot of back-and-forth on that one, and the feeling I got was that although it's perfectly legal, it was sort of a violation of a code of ethics or something because it hurts the organizer, who would have preferred Rene to have registered his son early and thus attract more players into the event.

(This all seems very pertinent to what happened in the NFL playoffs this past season. No, not "Deflategate", that was a separate issue. I'm referring to the playoff game between New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens. In that game, New England took advantage of an obscure rule that no one had ever previously paid any attention to... that allowed players coming to the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped to tell the officials "I'm lining up as an ineligible receiver" meaning that even though he lines up on the line of scrimmage, he cannot catch a pass. But Baltimore's defense would not know this and would cover him as if he was an eligible receiver...this would pull coverage off of a different player who would be wide open. It happened throughout the game and finally Baltimore's coach went storming onto the field to protest it and the team was assessed a penalty.

So how does this pertain? Because after the game which NE won, NE quarterback Tom Brady said nothing illegal was done and "Maybe those Baltimore coaches should read up on the rulebook". It was quite fascinating, because twice in the game Baltimore went up by 2 touchdowns... and both times NE used this technique to come right back, and then they used it again to go ahead near the end... I believe it was an offensive lineman who lined up on the outside of the line and declared himself an eligible receiver for that play and caught a TD pass. Effectively the game was decided by one team knowing the rulebook better than the other team.

That obscure rule was removed from the NFL rulebook during the off-season.)
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
              Unfairness? If a parent tries to facilitate their precious one on to the world stage by playing games with the sections, some might claim this is "unfair". Equally the parent who complains about it is surely guilty of the same "crime". Seems like a level playing field to me..... Harumph, harumph!
              The sentiment of blaming parents when the CFC made an avoidable mistake doesn't rest well with me. The CFC has a history of mismanagement and politics involving youth events. Might have improved a lot because some of the more political or incompetent guys dropped out of CFC admin, but there are obviously still some issues, possibly more to do with manpower/resourcing now.

Note that the mistake is not in allowing the move. It's procedure.

A 15 or 16 year old young man made the decision to move sections. His parents likely had nothing to do with it. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with inquiring about opportunities and taking a somewhat easier section. For the contenders, CYCC/WYCC has more of an element of rewarding good work and trying to win a medal then trying to maximize strength of opposition for some altruistic or idealistic notion of improving one's game ( that can be done elsewhere ).

Rene may have a point but blaming the player isn't right. Not many years from now, chess will mean nothing to most of these players. Nobody has a right to demand other people's kids follow their own chess ideals. If the young man wanted to maximize his chances for top 3, I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't know why the CFC wants to set a precedent for players to change sections as late as the day before events, but given this news they better have a firm procedure in place next year where players can confirm these changes and see the registration list. Or it might disintegrate into people gaming the system, with ridiculous situations possible where two players want to avoid each other. This is not a rare outlier event, in fact, in past years there were far more obvious skill disparities but no flexibility to move.
              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 10th July, 2015, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                Please, don't insult my intelligence. I'm sure that he realized he has better chances to qualify to WYCC in the U18 where he has only 1 higher rated opponent to play against. It was a bad call to allow him this cheap trick. Now the next question is if CFC is going to pay for his WYCC trip if the 1st place declines to go?
                It's not a "cheap trick" to consider two opportunities you have to play and choose one. If you are mad about the procedure, that the other players weren't given the same opportunity, I can buy that 100% as a legit complaint. If what is important to the young man is to try to get top 3 ( the motivation which could be any one of a number of things e.g. college applications ), that's his right. Perhaps he's done with chess next year, who knows. Too many people in chess are constantly looking at youth chess as a development cycle; sometimes it's truly just an event in someone's life and the chess "futures" just aren't important; this isn't hockey, there is not much future in chess beyond recreation for all but a small number worldwide.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 10th July, 2015, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Just had a look at the results and, in my humble opinion, the problem might not be the possible section switching, but rather... why the hell is the U18 so weak? The U12 was arguably much stronger and much harder to win.

We have a huge youth program that leads to absolutely nothing beyond 16-17 yo...

I've got my own idea on why it ends up being like that, but I'd be interested in hearing about other, more informed opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                    Just had a look at the results and, in my humble opinion, the problem might not be the possible section switching, but rather... why the hell is the U18 so weak? The U12 was arguably much stronger and much harder to win.

We have a huge youth program that leads to absolutely nothing beyond 16-17 yo...

I've got my own idea on why it ends up being like that, but I'd be interested in hearing about other, more informed opinions.
                    Because 16 is probably the right time to focus on academics, parents/kids know that. Grade 11/12 marks determine the options for University, good Universities & useful degrees usually mean better job opportunities.

Not very complicated really.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                      Reading this thread, I think your questions have been answered. You just don't agree with the answers. Seems to run like this:

1. How is Sam Song an exceptional player if he is rated 13th in his age group? Answer: Since 2012 the "exceptional" requirement has been dropped. Anyone can play up once they qualify for the CYCC.
                      2. Why was he preregistered in the U16 and then allowed to play in the U18 without any announcement? The U18 players found out about this after the 1st round pairings were posted. Answer: There is no rule stating that such changes have to be announced.
                      3. Is CFC going to pay for his WYCC trip if he comes 1st or if he comes 2nd and the winner declines to go? Yes. By coming in first or second he has shown himself to be the best qualified within that group.

It does not appear that anyone considers this to be a bad call besides yourself. I don't see anyone else agreeing with you on this thread.
                      The answers are great. I always support the decision that players should allow playing up.

Comment

they should if they are 50+. Not sure why CFC made such rules conflicting with the name of the section group (i.e. 50+, U18 etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          Don't forget players finishing in 1-3 places become official representatives for different tournaments - WYCC, Pan-Am, NA.

The Playing-up issue pops almost every year:
                          http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...licy-Statement
                          http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ctions-at-CYCC

I did not proceed with a motion - mainly it was (and still is) not clear how a new CFC legal status and paper work effect the Handbook and all its chapters.
                          wow, I didn't see another discussing in 2012, Bob already supported the playing up. But CFC or Ottawa organizers of CYCC2013 did not follow the rule(new rule since 2012 as mentioned by CFC president in this post),shame on them (bad organizing, missing clocks, pairing mixed up, small/no trophies).
                          This year's CYCC organizers made great decision to allow playing up. and very well organized. Big trophies for top players, participating trophies for everyone, cheap parking, nice playing hall, a lot of volunteers, onsite food court, lunch delivery, large parents waiting room, friendly volunteers, paring and results on time, score sheet online, playing hall pictures updated online etc. great job Windsor organizers and volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

I think the posted rules in the CFC handbook should be followed. Some obscure change from years ago which was never posted for participants to see should not supersede the rules in the CFC handbook.

I didn't notice any disclaimer that the rules might be out of date and parts may have changed.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I think the posted rules in the CFC handbook should be followed.
                              With the passage of the NFP act, the CFC handbook is no longer official, and should be regarded as advisory only. We desperately need a new handbook. Perhaps the incoming president should make that a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
                                Because 16 is probably the right time to focus on academics, parents/kids know that. Grade 11/12 marks determine the options for University, good Universities & useful degrees usually mean better job opportunities.

Not very complicated really.
                                I totally understand that. It is certainly a factor.

But there's probably more to it. With all that talent in the U12, U14 and U16, we should be able to come up with a much stronger, or at least, more 'populated' U18. Is it a lack of proper training? Weak competition? Kids play until they reach a very good level, but then there's nothing more to do or learn, so they quit?

I don't know. Anyways, maybe all these kids will make me eat my words and we'll have a very strong U18 in a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X