HIARCS 10 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIARCS 10 problem

Hi, I have about a 3 year old copy of Hiarcs 10 that I recently installed on my new labtop using VISTA. I have a problem with seeing figures in both set up & when I set noation to figure notation. I think it has something to do with Vista not loading the required fonts, only when I use the old board settings do I get figures instead of letters.

Anyone know a fix? I've tried reinstalling but that didn't work.

Re: HIARCS 10 problem

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    Anyone know a fix?
    I suggest to visit Hiarcs forum (http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/)

Comment

Re : HIARCS 10 problem

I had the same problem with Hiarcs 10... So I bought Fritz 11 :D

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        Hi, I have about a 3 year old copy of Hiarcs 10 that I recently installed on my new labtop using VISTA. I have a problem with seeing figures in both set up & when I set noation to figure notation. I think it has something to do with Vista not loading the required fonts, only when I use the old board settings do I get figures instead of letters.

Anyone know a fix? I've tried reinstalling but that didn't work.
        Zeljko,

HIARCS is a ChessBase product, right? If the figurine fonts don't install properly from the disk during setup, perhaps copying the expanded files into the FONTS directory manually (assuming VISTA has such a directory) and then restarting your system will do the trick. I can send you the fonts via email if you like. You paid for them and so did I, so I don't see a problem with that.

Dan

Comment

Hi, thanks to everyone for the help, chessbase sent me an email back & I had to do exactly what Dan said, to manually install the fonts from the font folder on the DVD.

Comment

Vista and old programs just don't seem to work together. I tried to install Chessbase 6.01 (really old!) onto Vista and it would not install at all. I ended up having to create a Virtual PC using XP and install it on that.

Comment

Re: Chessbase 8

Originally posted by Kirk Gornall View Post
              Vista and old programs just don't seem to work together. I tried to install Chessbase 6.01 (really old!) onto Vista and it would not install at all. I ended up having to create a Virtual PC using XP and install it on that.
              has anyone got Chessbase 8 to work on Vista? I'm perfectly happy with it and not looking forward to shelling out $200 for a new version...if it doesn't work I'll wait for Windows 7 and cross my fingers that their XP emulator works :)

Comment

Vista and a lot of programs don't work properly.

I couldn't get convekta's 'encyclopedia of opening blunders' to work.
                For a fairly modern program, Autocad lite 2006 won't work and it took several hours on tech support to get Autocad lite 2007 to work.

Then there comes performance :) I have Fritz 10 installed on a new laptop (amd athlon x2 64, 3gb ram) and it benchmarked at 3.4. After applying every tweak I could find, I got the benchmark up to 3.9. Running Ubuntu 9,04 (linux) on the same laptop, I ran the benchmark through the windows emulator (wine) and scored 4.7. I then ran the benchmark on my 2 yr old desktop computer (amd 64, 2gb ram) and scored a 7.9 under Windows XP!

moral of the story, avoid Vista if you need performance :)

Comment

Re: Chessbase 8

I seem to have no problems as of yet with chessbase 9 - not 8 - mega on vista, even though it wasn't listed that xp had to be a pre-requisite on the box.

Only thing I had to do was add the fonts in manually afterwards.

The v9 licence says I can still run (if necessary - I confirmed it with the chessbase support staff themselves) chessbase 9 back on the old xp box if necessary, & made sure that a personal database of 5000+ games was properly porting in cbh format (it has been from xp to vista so far) - as I was suspecting games data loss or corruption by occasionally using the check integrity command on the xp with lower memory, etc (& now have many back-ups - wish I could set a database history like they have with their built-in games history option - a major reason that I won't yet upgrade to 10 is to see what post-vista versions do with the options).

One difference that I did notice in vista from xp is that when I sort via a pivot-column button, vista automatically takes me up to the first entry sorted by that column again, but xp is friendlier - by recollecting that I can recall that I wish to pivot about the hilighted game selected in the list.

Cheers,
                  Kai

Comment

Working...
                  X