Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 CYCC Pairing Manipulation

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    If so, he failed miserably. Lily Zhou and Rahma Gillan are both from Windsor. :)
    The only reason I assumed this is because I remember seeing pairing restrictions for the first round at one CYCC few years ago. This was done to avoid kids from the same town to play each other in the first round. Based on Vlad's last post this didn't happened in Windsor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      While it is sufficient to have Paul Bonham's input it is not a necessary condition.
      Plenty of illogical arguments appear in threads that Paul doesn't even bother with...
      What he provides goes well beyond "illogical".
      His endless preacher-like arguments succeed in being altogether disdainful, pretentious, and insulting.
      Truly a unique talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        Sarah is my student. Her 1406 rating was established (briefly) after playing one game where she beat a 1000 player. She seemed to go up a piece or an exchange in almost every game at CYCC but then often returned the material to her opponent. She lost her first ten active games or so mostly on time before finally starting to win. She'll be much better next year.
        She sure will. Sarah seems to follow a development curve of many bright girls who first approach chess as an intellectual exercise trying to find an "absolutely best" move in every position, and have time troubles because of that. As they get older and get more experience, their hard-worked-for fundamentals stay with them while time management skills arrive, so the results improve dramatically. I'll be cheering up for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Sarah is my student. Her 1406 rating was established (briefly) after playing one game where she beat a 1000 player. She seemed to go up a piece or an exchange in almost every game at CYCC but then often returned the material to her opponent. She lost her first ten active games or so mostly on time before finally starting to win. She'll be much better next year.

Aside from looking people up on the CFC webpage neither Alexandre nor Aris had any idea who the Windsor kids were. Any allegations, speculations or conspiracy theories around CYCC pairings should be taken with a grain of salt.
          Vlad I learned as a young school boy that when one believes he has done nothing wrong they will actually respond to criticism, and when one is embarrassed and hiding something, they ignore it and try to change the subject. Sarah might be a good player, but this tread is not about Sarah or any of your students, it is about the pairing manipulation in round 2 of the U14 girls section (which can be seen on Page two of this thread).

There should be an explanation on your behalf for why the round 2 pairings were so off, instead of claiming "stupid conspiratorial theories" or using the "computer guy" as a scapegoat who was just "following instructions." I have provided clear factual evidence of pairing manipulation in round two. Any of the organisers who were quick to jump in claiming "innocent mistakes" and "conspiracy theories" (for the first round pairings) are now M.I.A all of a sudden. If you all so strongly believe I'm wrong about the round 2 pairings then why not provide actual factual evidence as I have? Your only defence now is to resort to talking about your students and using the conspiracy theory tagline.

You've also been quiet on the "Official CYCC Protest" thread ever since people started to question the flimsy excuses you were making, as you are here when I provided evidence that the round 2 pairings were manipulated. Vlad your creditability as the president of the CFC should be taken with a grain of salt based off your current actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
            The Tournament Report to FIDE is not prepared by [...]
            Oh, Francis, but my understanding is that there will be no report at all. The 2013 NAYCC you so successfully organized in Toronto was rated with FIDE. The NAJ-U20's in Kitchener organized by Hal are FIDE-rated, of course. However, none of the CYCCs in recent memory was. :(

Come to think about it: why? Don't Canada's best juniors who qualified for the CYCCs, and many of whom have either participated or will participate in the WYCCs, deserve to have their efforts in the biggest national tournament to be rated internationally?

Two questions then:
            • What is a per capita cost for FIDE ratings in a tournament such as a CYCC, with 200+ players? With entry fees set at $225/$250, it would hardly eat into the profits of the organizers / youth fund, right?
            • Does any Voting Member reading this discussion agree that the CYCC needs to be FIDE-rated? Will you be willing to bring forward a Motion to add the requirement to have the CYCC rated with FIDE to Article 702 of the Handbook as soon as the quarterly meeting rules allow (probably, for the winter one)?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
              Oh, Francis, but my understanding is that there will be no report at all. The 2013 NAYCC you so successfully organized in Toronto was rated with FIDE. The NAJ-U20's in Kitchener organized by Hal are FIDE-rated, of course. However, none of the CYCCs in recent memory was. :(
              Your memory is faulty. Certainly the 2015 CYCC was FIDE rated, http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_l...iod=2015-08-01 and I believe CYCCs in previous years were FIDE rated too. I'm too lazy to look them up.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                Your memory is faulty. Certainly the 2015 CYCC was FIDE rated, http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_l...iod=2015-08-01 and I believe CYCCs in previous years were FIDE rated too. I'm too lazy to look them up.
                Unfortunately, John, it is my memory that is correct and your assertion that is false.

The link you provided is for the three "older" sections of the CYCC. I was emphasing that "none of the CYCCs in recent memory" was FIDE-rated in its entirety.

For your reference, here's the definition of the whole:
                "700. Canadian Youth Chess Championship:

The holding of the Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) which consists of the following twelve events:

Canadian Under 18 Championship {Open and Girls}
                Canadian Under 16 Championship {Open and Girls}
                Canadian Under 14 Championship {Open and Girls}
                Canadian Under 12 Championship {Open and Girls}
                Canadian Under 10 Championship {Open and Girls}
                Canadian Under 8 Championship {Open and Girls}

{Motion 2009-05 GL5 Zeromkis/Barron}
                "

Comment

Sorry, Vadim, I missed the phrase "in its entirety" in your first post. Probably because it isn't there; I am not sure it is even implied.

I'm also not sure that the entire CYCC should be FIDE-rated, I'll have to think about it.

Then again, I'm retired from organising, I'll leave the thinking to younger men.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    The only reason I assumed this is because I remember seeing pairing restrictions for the first round at one CYCC few years ago. This was done to avoid kids from the same town to play each other in the first round. Based on Vlad's last post this didn't happened in Windsor.
                    Rene Windsor players playing each other was not on my radar, my focus was on paring manipulation that affected/benefited some U14 girls (as I have shown on page 1/2 of this thread).

The top rated Windsor player, was well in contention after round 1 (she ended up finishing second).

The top rated player of the U14-Girls field was Maili-Jade Ouellet (1931) from Quebec. In round 2 without any forced pairs (just the normal Swiss pairings) she should have played Jenny Jiang (735), however due to forced pairing, she ended up playing Varshini Paraparan (1541), which is clearly a significant difference.

The top rated Windsor player ended playing who she was supposed to play according the normal Swiss Pairing logic.

But Rahma Gillian from Windsor got impacted in a negative way in the second round playing a 1274 instead of a 929 rated player due to the forced pairings. Though not as significant as the first example, it is still unacceptable that the normal Swiss Pairing was overridden.

Another Windsor player named Namitha Elsa John (911) was due a second round 1 point bye in normal Swiss Pairings, however in the actual pairings she had to play a 1583 due to forced pairings.

Hence as you can see this is about pairings being overridden to negatively affect some, which includes some Windsor players as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
                      Vlad I learned as a young school boy that when one believes he has done nothing wrong they will actually respond to criticism, and when one is embarrassed and hiding something, they ignore it and try to change the subject. Sarah might be a good player, but this tread is not about Sarah or any of your students, it is about the pairing manipulation in round 2 of the U14 girls section (which can be seen on Page two of this thread).
                      I responded to a question from Vadim Tsypin who I have great respect for because he has proven himself to be a very nice person and a leader at the UAE WYCC and elsewhere. Seeing Vadim or reading one of his posts fills me with warm fuzzy feelings because he is the type of person I got involved in chess to help.

Two aphorisms come to mind with respect to my interest in responding to this thread. "Do nothing which is of no use." - Miyamoto Musashi. The other would be quite inflammatory.

We had two of the best arbiters in Canada working at CYCC. Some ratings were out of date by a week. When noticed this was fixed. You are evolving some kind of conspiracy theory where there was no interest on the part of the arbiters to change the natural pairings. After establishing the procedures for the sections I had nothing to do with the pairings so don't know what exactly happened but lots of people posted and explained what happened and you don't seem to want to accept it. End of story. Anything beyond that reminds me of interactions with a crazy person on a corner shouting and yelling. Its best simply to move away and ignore the rants. Getting involved at best will be a waste of time and at worst someone could get killed.

There should be an explanation on your behalf for why the round 2 pairings were so off, instead of claiming "stupid conspiratorial theories" or using the "computer guy" as a scapegoat who was just "following instructions." I have provided clear factual evidence of pairing manipulation in round two.
                      Careful. Down that path is madness. I have never scapegoated the computer guy. As far as I can tell he did a great job under the circumstances. As for the need for me personally to answer for round 2 pairings, I don't feel any need to do so given your responses to the people who tried to help you cope with your pain. I'm a busy guy. As Miyamoto Musashi says, "Do nothing which is of no use." Of course he also says "pay attention to trifles." though that is probably more of a admonition to pay attention to everything.

Any of the organisers who were quick to jump in claiming "innocent mistakes" and "conspiracy theories" (for the first round pairings) are now M.I.A all of a sudden.
                      Do you stand on corners and argue with crazy people?

If you all so strongly believe I'm wrong about the round 2 pairings then why not provide actual factual evidence as I have?
                      The fact that you believe you have provided actual factual evidence speaks volumes as to the futility of trying to reason with you.

Your only defence now is to resort to talking about your students and using the conspiracy theory tagline.
                      I talk about my students because I was asked about my student. Its a good reminder of why I am doing what I am doing.

You've also been quiet on the "Official CYCC Protest" thread ever since people started to question the flimsy excuses you were making, as you are here when I provided evidence that the round 2 pairings were manipulated. Vlad your creditability as the president of the CFC should be taken with a grain of salt based off your current actions.
                      As Scott Adams the author of the comic strip Dilbert said in one lucid moment by the pointy haired boss, "If you see a big pot of crazy boiling on the stove do you run away or do you try to stir it?"

Players gotta play, play, play, play.
                      Fakers gotta fake, fake, fake, fake.
                      Haters gotta hate, hate, hate, hate.
                      I'm just gonna shake it off. - Taylor Swift

Comment

John wrote:

Certainly the 2015 CYCC was FIDE rated, http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_l...iod=2015-08-01 and I believe CYCCs in previous years were FIDE rated too. I'm too lazy to look them up.
                        These are the sections that have been rated by FIDE during recent years.

2015: U18, U16, U16w were rated.
                        2014: U18, U18w, U16 were rated.
                        2013: none were rated.
                        2012: U18, U16, U14, U12, U16w, and one player from U14w were rated.
                        2011: U18, U16, U14, U12, U16w, and some other female players from other sections were rated.
                        2010: U18, U16, U14, and several female players from various sections.
                        2009: U18, U16, U14, U16/18w.

I'll assume none were rated before 2009.

Comment

Assuming, that (as was written earlier) June 24th ratings were used in round 1, and then the error was noticed and July 1 ratings were used for subsequent pairings, does not that explain the pairings?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            These are the sections that have been rated by FIDE during recent years.

2015: U18, U16, U16w were rated.
                            2014: U18, U18w, U16 were rated.
                            2013: none were rated.
                            2012: U18, U16, U14, U12, U16w, and one player from U14w were rated.
                            2011: U18, U16, U14, U12, U16w, and some other female players from other sections were rated.
                            2010: U18, U16, U14, and several female players from various sections.
                            2009: U18, U16, U14, U16/18w.

I'll assume none were rated before 2009.
                            Thank you Hugh!

Do you personally believe it is important to have every CYCC FIDE-rated in its entirety, consistently, year in, year out? Would you consider sponsoring a corresponding Motion?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post

Come to think about it: why? Don't Canada's best juniors who qualified for the CYCCs, and many of whom have either participated or will participate in the WYCCs, deserve to have their efforts in the biggest national tournament to be rated internationally?

Two questions then:
                              • What is a per capita cost for FIDE ratings in a tournament such as a CYCC, with 200+ players? With entry fees set at $225/$250, it would hardly eat into the profits of the organizers / youth fund, right?
                              • Does any Voting Member reading this discussion agree that the CYCC needs to be FIDE-rated? Will you be willing to bring forward a Motion to add the requirement to have the CYCC rated with FIDE to Article 702 of the Handbook as soon as the quarterly meeting rules allow (probably, for the winter one)?

Thanks in advance.
                              The problem with rating the younger sections is that there are often not enough players that are FIDE rated for the event to count as you have to play at least three FIDE rated players and win one of the games to start your path down the road to FIDE rating. NAYCC is FIDE rated because it is a FIDE event. Despite that many NAYCC kids don't get a FIDE rating in the younger sections because they didn't play enough FIDE rated players.

Pricing for FIDE events goes from reasonable to absurd. Round robins tend to be pricey. The cost of qualified arbiters is also a factor. There are only a few individuals qualified to hold such an event in Canada. If we weren't FIDE rating the CYCC, I might have been the TD as we were discussing at one point when we were having trouble finding arbiters.
                              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 4th August, 2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I believe that one cannot FIDE rate a tournament without sufficient players who are already FIDE rated participating. Is my understanding correct? If it is, it explains why sections with younger players are not FIDE rated. Not enough FIDE rated participants.

Comment

Working...
                                X