FIDE's website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE's website

Graham Cluley doesn't think much of the security at FIDE's website.

https://grahamcluley.com/2015/08/che...site-password/

Re : FIDE's website

Wow, this is quite ridiculous. It wouldn't have hurt them to hire professionals for the website, although it's hard to trust an organization based in Russia anyway...

Comment

Re: Re : FIDE's website

Thanks for posting this Jack - I have passed on the feedback. This is quite topical since FIDE is trying to get a better handle on player IDs et al.

Comment

Re: FIDE's website

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        Graham Cluley doesn't think much of the security at FIDE's website.

https://grahamcluley.com/2015/08/che...site-password/
        Interesting read (thanks for posting this Jack). Graham is absolutely right that they exhibit an almost complete lack of understanding of security... sadly, they (FIDE) are not alone - many corporations that should know better do not. Most laughable is the emergence of "new" encryption software that is often written by newbies who make similar errors from lack of understanding and even when confronted with proof that their techniques are flawed, they insist that "you just don't understand..."
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          Wow, this is quite ridiculous. It wouldn't have hurt them to hire professionals for the website, although it's hard to trust an organization based in Russia anyway...
          Which does not prevent some people to promote FIDE and FIDE ratings across the country, at the expense of our national ratings. If you can't trust them, join them ?

Comment

I am not quite sure what you are referring to. I have always been a strong critic of the current FIDE administration and was against the CFC taking any bribe from them.

I would not either support organizing FIDE events, unless there is a clear benefit for Canadians (as in a Zonal).

I do support having the first section of major tournaments FIDE rated and am really glad it is getting more common in Quebec. Thanks to that, many of our young players have been able to get a high FIDE rating and one even achieved the FM title. Not FIDE rating our tournaments because of politics would only hurt our promising players.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              I am not quite sure what you are referring to. I have always been a strong critic of the current FIDE administration and was against the CFC taking any bribe from them.
              Please do not start that nonsense again. There was no bribe taken. If people continue to make Chesstalk a poisonous environment you are just going to drive off everyone decent. If you are trying to ensure that there are no sponsors in chess it seems to me that posts like this are a good start.

Comment

I'm sorry Vlad, but it is what it is.
                According to Wikipedia : "Bribery is the act of giving money, goods or other forms of recompense to a recipient in exchange for an alteration of their behavior (to the benefit/interest of the giver) that the recipient would otherwise not alter."

In this case Ilyumzhinov gave the CFC money in exchange for a vote. It's as simple as that. The CFC knew by accepting it that it would scare sponsors away.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  Please do not start that nonsense again. There was no bribe taken. If people continue to make Chesstalk a poisonous environment you are just going to drive off everyone decent. If you are trying to ensure that there are no sponsors in chess it seems to me that posts like this are a good start.
                  Surely one way to put the kibosh on talk of vote-buying bribes is to list all of the national federations who did not support what's-his-name but still received promises of money.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Sorry Felix - you are wrong again and again.
                    We were offered incentives from both sides of the fence during the FIDE election. So "bribes" did not change our behaviour. You knew that, yet you prattle on. I doubt very seriously that sponsorship has been affected in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      We were offered incentives from both sides of the fence during the FIDE election. So "bribes" did not change our behaviour. You knew that, yet you prattle on. I doubt very seriously that sponsorship has been affected in any way.
                      That the other side also offered a bribe does not make it any less of a bribe nor does it change the morality of accepting a bribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                        The only honourable thing to do was to abstain, and this you could not do in the face of temptation. And thus you became part of "the system". Felix is absolutely correct.

And what a faux pas! Of course sponsorship has not been affected in any way. There was virtually no sponsorship before, and there is virtually no sponsorship now. YOu voted for the status quo, and you got it.
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Well put Paul. I completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                          X