Canadian Open 2016 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2016 ?

We are all disappointed with the absence of the Canadian Open this year. So, what about next year? Are we going to let it slip away as well? There is an interesting discussion taking place at the CFC annual meeting currently underway. I am particularly delighted to see this post from Aris Marghetis.

I might be offbase here, but one of my suspicions is that the CO has in recent years morphed into trying to be something bigger than it is. I'm not sure how many COs and QOs I've played in, maybe a dozen? and I can say that Sackville was one of my favourites! In my humble opinion, once you start aiming for the big foreign names, it starts to jig the whole financial structure, quickly leading to a daunting challenge to accommodate 300 players, etc. I suspect the vast majority of 1500-2000 players just want a chesscation where they can regularly meet up with old friends, maybe golf during the day, grab beers after their round, etc. At the same time, we keep pressuring different people to run the event the same way, 9 rounds over 8 days, right after the CYCC (which is right after the World Open), before the Quebec Open, etc. I think we could see more interest if we let potential Organizers figure out winning formulas FOR THEIR SITUATION. That's what the Quebec Open has done for decades. That's what North Bay did for years. I think we might be pleasantly surprised at some fresh new ideas, and not jump all over them on ChessTalk. But this is going to take time and genuine effort. I am quite disappointed at what appears to be complaining towards the CFC that we didn't have a CO. The CFC is just a bunch of volunteers. More people need to step up more, drive rather than complain.

Great post Aris. I completely agree. So, what can we do to encourage bids from organizers willing to host such a Canadian Open? I suggest we start a players pledge list.

Canadian Open 2016 - Pre registered list

1. Bob Gillanders - anywhere in Canada

Post on this thread and I'll add your name.
    If you can only pledge for your city or province, that’s okay, just specify.
    For me, anywhere in Canada. A great opportunity to meet many great people I only now meet by email.

Let’s encourage those organizers who maybe sitting on the fence.

Re: Canadian Open 2016 ?

I think as long as the organizers have accommodations connected to a university or hotel they get better results. My favourite places were Sackville and Montrreal. I live near Toronto so that is not a problem for me getting there from home. I saw Ottawa but never played there.
    My choice would be Sackville NB

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
      I think as long as the organizers have accommodations connected to a university or hotel they get better results. My favourite places were Sackville and Montrreal. I live near Toronto so that is not a problem for me getting there from home. I saw Ottawa but never played there.
      My choice would be Sackville NB
      John, would you like to preregister?

Comment

1. Gillanders
        2 Leblanc
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Bob ;
          I thought I did by choosing Sackville, NB
          John Brown

Comment

Hi Bob ;
            I thought I did by choosing Sackville, NB
            John Brown
            You misunderstand. It is not a vote for where you want it, instead tell us where you are willing to travel to.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              1. Gillanders
              2 Leblanc
              Paul, what locations are you willing to travel to?

Comment

I'm willing to travel to Sackville NB

Comment

Re : Canadian Open 2016 ?

Why don't you organize the tournament yourself? I can be your Arbiter. I am FIDE arbiter.
                  And why on CFC web site I am not on the list of FIDE arbiter? You sent me the certificate last week.
                  Last edited by J.-R. Boutin; Saturday, 15th August, 2015, 10:50 PM.
                  ----------______/
                  ------(__|_____|__)
                  ----------( Q Q )
                  ------o00o-(_)-o00o-------
                  THE GALACTIC COWBOY (J.-R. Boutin, AF)

Comment

Re: Re : Canadian Open 2016 ?

I can be the arbiter too, with 2 Canadian Open successfully completed. The last one has been hard for reasons unrelated to the players.

Comment

I'm willing to travel to Sackville NB
                      I think that was my favourite Canadian Open.
                      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

So... it seems like we could have more FIDE arbiters willing to supervise the event than we have players willing to participate.

Comment

I agree with the general idea of this thread. The Canadian Open has become more prestigious with each new instalment. The next bidder wants to do better then the Queen Elizabeth hotel event.

Many Canadian Open have been organised "bingo style". This means that entry fees did cover all the expenses without any sponsor or municipal grant. Off course, "bingo style" tournament cannot attract foreign GM and offer norms.
                          Maybe we cannot have a marvellous Canadian Open each year, which does not mean that we should not have a Canadian Open each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
                            Maybe we cannot have a marvellous Canadian Open each year, which does not mean that we should not have a Canadian Open each year.
                            Once I got through the double negatives, I agree with this statement

Comment

I don't not disagree with this. Wait a minute...

Comment

Working...
                              X