X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. I. P. Gary Ruben b.09.23.1942 - d.08.23.2015

R. I. P. Gary Ruben b.09.23.1942 - d.08.23.2015

Re: R. I. P. Gary Ruben b.09.23.1942 - d.08.23.2015

Sorry to hear that. My sympathies to the family.

Comment

R. I. P. Gary Ruben

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      Sorry to hear that. My sympathies to the family.
      Ditto. I hope, wherever he is, he gets home delivery of his mail. It seemed to be something that mattered to him.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

RIP Gary Ruben I was a member of his postal chess club before 1976.
        He told me about the Canadian Chess Federation.Before computers,
        postal chess was great.

Comment

RIP Gary. His last (of his frequent posts) posting on Chesstalk was on July 28.

"Paul [Leblanc], I think I got the positions of the Liberals wrong in the last reply to you.
          The NDP is the party which promises to restore delivery to those who were cut off keep it going.
          The Liberal policy, the way I understand it, is to halt further conversions to community boxes and study the situation. I consider that to be nothing to get excited about.
          It's not all bad. If the NDP wins we can live off the fat of the land. Probably the stock market and dollar will suffer."

We will miss your frequent (and informative) posts.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
            R. I. P. Gary Ruben b.09.23.1942 - d.08.23.2015

I had a bad feeling about Gary for the past few months as his posts seemed fewer and further between. I was hoping I was wrong.

Despite never having met him or even having heard of him before joining this forum, and despite having one or two clashes with his famous temperament, I grew to like him a lot and to read almost all of his posts. Like me, he was not involved in organized OTB chess play for many years (decades in his case) and seemed like an outsider here. But imo his vast experience in organizing gave him a legitimacy here that very few can approach. He also had lots of interesting things to say about politics and economics.

This forum will never be as good without him. I know that on the other side, he'll have plenty of time to try out an infinite variety of chess variants, and to his great surprise, he will enjoy them all!
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

A major contributor to this site, Gary will be sorely missed. I only met him once in person but got to know him well through his posts on ChessTalk. R.I.P. Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                A major contributor to this site, Gary will be sorely missed. I only met him once in person but got to know him well through his posts on ChessTalk. R.I.P. Gary
                Rest in Peace Gary.

I met when Gary at the Scarborough Chess Club in the 60's when the club was located on Macey Street. Gary was very welcoming to a number of us teen-age players joining a club for the first time. He always had time to carefully explain the expectations 'real' players had of newcomers. He was a great ambassador of The Game and I am very sad to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Sad news.
                  Gary's postings will be missed.

Comment

RIP Gary. My condolences to the family.

Comment

Gary was easily one of my favorite contributors on ChessTalk.

I never met him in person, but will nonetheless miss him.

Comment

Sad news indeed. Gary was someone with which it was fun to disagree with on this forum and thus one that will be missed.
                        He also has played an important role in the History of postal chess in Canada. Hopefully this will not pass unnoticed.

Comment

Sad news. Gary was the most prolific poster on chesstalk, first as Just Wondering and then under his own name. He added much colour, chess knowledge, and general knowledge and new some interesting things about Canadian chess history. I was surprised that he knew some chess characters from my deep past. He really enjoyed his discussions. I met him first at Zoltan Sarosy's 100th birthday gettogether at Bayview Games and that added depth to his chesstalk persona. His only fault was that he didnt like the French Defence. We've lost one of the chesstalk pillars. Rest in Peace Gary. Condolences to the family.

Comment

Rest In Peace, Gary Ruben.

My sincere condolences, to his family and friends, at this very difficult time.

Gary may have posted more often to chesstalk than anyone else in the existence of this site. I found that I would sometimes disagree with his opinions, but learned to respect these, nonetheless.

He was an International Master of Correspondence Chess, and a lifetime aficionado of the Royal Game. By offering some deep analysis, he set me straight on a couple of variations which I posted here for discussion.

I never met him in person, but somehow felt that I did know him, through his strong efforts here.

Gary, you will be missed. Now, he can carry on his chess activities among the great Masters of chess history, who have all passed into the next world. :)

Comment

This is sad news - Gary is an old friend from almost 50 years ago at the Scarborough Chess Club.

Here is Gary's obit - http://mountlawncemetery.sharingmemo...tein.html?s=40

Comment

Working...
                              X