Anything Further Regarding A Possible Sambuev-Hansen Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything Further Regarding A Possible Sambuev-Hansen Match?

Or, is it dead?

Re: Anything Further Regarding A Possible Sambuev-Hansen Match?

probably dead- like most things chess-related in Canada. not a big deal though since it would probably be detrimental to my chess.

on the bright side I'll be trying to qualify for Tata Steel B next month :)
    Last edited by Eric Hansen; Sunday, 25th October, 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Eric,
      You can hardly say chess is dead in Canada if someone offers to reach into their pocket for $10,000 to sponsor a match for you to play! Can someone in Europe offer you a better deal?
      But good luck in joining Tata Steel B tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        Eric,
        You can hardly say chess is dead in Canada if someone offers to reach into their pocket for $10,000 to sponsor a match for you to play! Can someone in Europe offer you a better deal?
        Hi Vlad,

Europe has offered me many good deals- totaling well over $10,000 out of pocket. I've yet to see a single email about this match so you are saying I should already be giving praise? If you have some insider info please feel free to share with all of us.

Besides- a match for two players has little to do with the status of chess here.
        Last edited by Eric Hansen; Sunday, 25th October, 2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
          Hi Vlad,

Europe has offered me many good deals- totaling well over $10,000 out of pocket. I've yet to see a single email about this match so you are saying I should already be giving praise? If you have some insider info please feel free to share with all of us.

Besides- a match for two players has little to do with the status of chess here.
          Hi Eric,
          Clearly, there is some misunderstanding. I only know what I've read on ChessTalk pertaining to the proposed match. And I seem to recall you responded favorably while there was no response from Bator.
          My post was pertaining to your comment - "probably dead- like most things chess-related in Canada" - and I took that to mean that there was insufficient incentive for top-level players in Canada, hence my post.
          I hope you don't take my comments as a personal attack, else this could spiral into something which would bring out some hefty sponsorship for you to play a match against me LOL. I would only agree if it was limited to 3 pawn chess :D

Comment

I would only agree if it was limited to 3 pawn chess :D
            Vlad at his best LOL

Comment

Eric,
              One offer that never came to fruition does not a "non-dead" chess scene make.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                One offer that never came to fruition does not a "non-dead" chess scene make.

Awesome use of a triple-negative! Cheers.

Imagine if there were NO offers that never came to fruition! :D
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  Awesome use of a triple-negative! Cheers.

Imagine if there were NO offers that never came to fruition! :D
                  You mean like every other year?

Comment

I've yet to see a single email about this match so you are saying I should already be giving praise? If you have some insider info please feel free to share with all of us.
                    Eric, have you checked your spam filters? I have no insider information. I know nothing more than what is posted here on chesstalk. But I would like to know what happened. If someone offered to sponsor a match with me for $10,000, I would send THEM an email.

Let me repeat that:

If anyone would like to sponsor $10,000 a match against me. :)
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 26th October, 2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      If anyone would like to sponsor $10,000 a match against me. :)
                      I can't do it in Canadian dollars, Bob, how about North Korean won? I might even stretch to 100,000 Iranian rials.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                        I can't do it in Canadian dollars, Bob, how about North Korean won? I might even stretch to 100,000 Iranian rials.
                        Excellent. Let the negotiations begin.

Hmm….10,000 North Korean Won = $15 Cdn
                        Hmm….100,000 Iranian Rials = $4.40 Cdn

Hmm…..let’s go with the Won. After all, that is 10 Tim Horton small coffees.
                        John, how about adding some TimBits?

Comment

probably dead- like most things chess-related in Canada. not a big deal though since it would probably be detrimental to my chess.
                          You have not seen the bridge-playing community. I recently received an email from them saying that they recruited several hundred new members, but the overall member count stayed roughly the same because roughly the same amount of members have died. They were also sending frantic emails that the average age of bridge players in the NABC was rapidly approaching 75. It is dead, literally.

If you were looking for a "livelier" Canadian games community, why not follow the footsteps of GM Ian Nepomiachtchi? There are several Canadian players who are considered the "world elite" in that game...
                          Last edited by Jesse Wang; Saturday, 31st October, 2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X