Interest in a one day active on sat and a team active on Sun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in a one day active on sat and a team active on Sun?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone would be intersted in a weekend of active chess. i was thinking on the saturday have a team tourney active and on the sunday a normal one day active. That is a lot of chess, 10 games or so I reckon, probably decided by how many teams sign up. You can pay for 5 games reg rating chess and win once or 10 games of active chess for the same price and possibly be in the running to win twice. Just a thought. I usually run an active in Aug/early September. What do you think? Let me know. I might run one sooner than that if there is interest.
    Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Tuesday, 17th November, 2015, 12:25 AM.

Re: Interest in a one day active on sat and a team active on Sun?

What country, province, city? Internet?

Comment

There is currently no available rapid tournament on Saturdays in Toronto.
      Vlad Dobrich no longer host one.
      The closest is outside Toronto.
      The remedy for me is to go to Buffalo, NY once a month= combining chess and possibly shopping for things not sold in local Wal Mart stores.
      Saturday is ideal for me, especially after 12 noon.
      Ideal entry fee is $ 20.
      Great savings on travel time and gasoline.
      Looking forward to it.

By the way Tyler, I might play this coming Monday at the Annex Chess Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
        Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone would be intersted in a weekend of active chess. i was thinking on the saturday have a team tourney active and on the sunday a normal one day active. That is a lot of chess, 10 games or so I reckon, probably decided by how many teams sign up. You can pay for 5 games reg rating chess and win once or 10 games of active chess for the same price and possibly be in the running to win twice. Just a thought. I usually run an active in Aug/early September. What do you think? Let me know. I might run one sooner than that if there is interest.
        I am interested. I will send a team from Waterdown and will play for on Sunday as well. Thanks for organizing the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
          Hi all,

I am interested. I will send a team from Waterdown and will play for on Sunday as well. Thanks for organizing the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
            Ideal entry fee is $ 20.
            Gord, if you recall our recent conversation about doing a tournament with no cash prizes, trophies only, here is evidence that it is feasible. I'm assuming here that Erwin does realize there would be no budget for prizes with only a $20 entry fee!! Actually, at that price, it may be BYOT (bring your own trophy.) :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Gord, if you recall our recent conversation about doing a tournament with no cash prizes, trophies only, here is evidence that it is feasible. I'm assuming here that Erwin does realize there would be no budget for prizes with only a $20 entry fee!! Actually, at that price, it may be BYOT (bring your own trophy.) :)
              Cut those fees back any further and it'll be BYOT (bring your own tournament). : l
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                I admire your enthusiasm but Im still at the feasibility stage. Heck, I wouldnt only want to set it up, I would want to play in it. The Backward Pawns, that is the active team i play in Kitchener tourney, has a history of fighting chess and would love to cross swords, so that is team number two. Hey, If you guys want to do a la Bob, no cash prizes, just trophies, I'm for that too. Let me know guys, maybe something in March 2016 this way comes if there is enough interest. :p

Comment

There's a game club on danforth / main which charges 6$ entry fee and no food / drink is mandatory. They have perfect tables for chess for aprox. 30 people. They do serve some food and drinks if someone wants. You can have your tournament organized for 20$ a person and cover your expenses along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav Stefanovic View Post
                    There's a game club on danforth / main which charges 6$ entry fee and no food / drink is mandatory. They have perfect tables for chess for aprox. 30 people. They do serve some food and drinks if someone wants. You can have your tournament organized for 20$ a person and cover your expenses along the way.
                    Can u reserve the tables/room for the entire day without disturbance? Is there adequate noise control? Do we have to set up and tear down the tables/chairs? Is there adequate parking? Is it free parking? If these answers come back favorably plus my future questions, who knows, maybe we have something.

Comment

they have perfect chess setup. nice wooden tables seating 24 plus several higher tables which could be used for chess if you dont mind high chair, plus some cozy sofas and leather chairs. I counted easily 36 chess seats. They say capacity is 100 ( the fire code capacity ) Parking on danforth isn't free, but nearby residential streets have free parking. There's green P as well and few supermarkets with large parkings around.
                      It's actually just 2 blocks east of woodbine, 2183 danforth. http://www.timecapsulecafe.ca/ is the website. I guess you can call and see if they will allow reservation for the whole day and at what cost.
                      owners are Igor and Dimitri.

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav Stefanovic View Post
                        they have perfect chess setup. nice wooden tables seating 24 plus several higher tables which could be used for chess if you dont mind high chair, plus some cozy sofas and leather chairs. I counted easily 36 chess seats. They say capacity is 100 ( the fire code capacity ) Parking on danforth isn't free, but nearby residential streets have free parking. There's green P as well and few supermarkets with large parkings around.
                        It's actually just 2 blocks east of woodbine, 2183 danforth. http://www.timecapsulecafe.ca/ is the website. I guess you can call and see if they will allow reservation for the whole day and at what cost.
                        owners are Igor and Dimitri.
                        Thanks for the info. I'll take a peek.

Comment

Working...
                        X