"Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Hey Duncan you can run down the escalator going the wrong way if you like. You can turn left to go the wrong way down a major street if you like to and then when cars honk at you you can cover your face like I saw yesterday.

Canada from sea to sea with no regard for safety. Good moto.

They're going to put the cop on paid leave? Where did you get that one from? If they put cops on paid leave for every complaint that came in there would quickly be no cops left, they'd all be on paid leave.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 19th May, 2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post

I think in Canada we have every right not to hold a handrail ( it's not reckless at all by any definition ) and we have a right to expect decency of behaviour from police men and women. Unfortunately, besides the indecency of the actions against Bela we the taxpayer can only end up paying for any lawsuits as the policeman in question gets a paid leave until he finds out if he keeps his job.
      The problem is if someone not holding a handrail on an excalator or stairwell falls into me and knocks me over the chances are I'll end up with broken bones. Those rules are there to protect me and my only complaint is the fines aren't high enough.

Anyhow, it appears the police are comfortable with the charges. Here's something else from the newspaper on a later date.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

I don't know if they have the incident on a survaillance camera. I don't know if the holding room was equiped with a camera and sound like so many are. This has taken on such a high profile I would imagine those things could become known.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Just for fun, here are some articles -- spinal injuries good stuff

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...n.html?ref=rss

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/...tor060105.html

http://torontoist.com/2005/11/escalator_actio.php

http://torontoist.com/2005/11/escalator_actio.php

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
          Hey Duncan you can run down the escalator going the wrong way if you like. You can turn left to go the wrong way down a major street if you like to and then when cars honk at you you can cover your face like I saw yesterday.

Canada from sea to sea with no regard for safety. Good moto.

They're going to put the cop on paid leave? Where did you get that one from? If they put cops on paid leave for every complaint that came in there would quickly be no cops left, they'd all be on paid leave.
          Are you serious ? Honestly the whole situation is absurd and I don't have time to explain.
          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 19th May, 2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of why so many ladder companies went out of business or that lady who spilled her McDonalds coffee while driving and sued them. There are always risks in life we don't need cops trying to legislate every little nitpicking rule and minimize miniscule risks in a totally arbitrary fashion. And by arbitrary I mean there are literally millions of people doing the same thing in Canada every day. You going to harrass all of them ?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              Last time I checked, there were 609 comments on the G&M website, about 99% regarding the police as heavy-handed. (Nope, I didn't read all 609, just a sample.)
              Shocker is there are chess players seriously supporting this kind of lunatic police work. God forbid our country ever embraces this kind of abuse of personal rights.

Comment

That's always a good defence. Hey officer why don't you go out & catch some real criminals. Why pull me over for speeding when thousands of Canadians are not going to get caught doing it today?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                  There are always risks in life we don't need cops trying to legislate every little nitpicking rule and minimize miniscule risks in a totally arbitrary fashion. And by arbitrary I mean there are literally millions of people doing the same thing in Canada every day. You going to harrass all of them ?
                  I saw a guy use that defence in traffic court once. He told the judge all the other cars were going the same speed as him but they didn't get a ticket. The judge said the officer didn't catch those other people. They caught him. The conviction was registered.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    I need to re-read 1984...
                    Careful Ken, they are looking for you.

Here they come Ken.

Where are you Ken? Ken?

Where did you go Ken?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                      That's always a good defence. Hey officer why don't you go out & catch some real criminals. Why pull me over for speeding when thousands of Canadians are not going to get caught doing it today?
                      Reality check. This is the way speeding works in reality. On a major highway if the "official" speed limit is 100 km/hr the real speed limit we all understand is 120 km/hr. The roads are made to easily handle 120 km/hr and the traffic flows better if everyone is close to the same speed. Cops rarely pull someone over under 120. Some locales ( say Guelph lol ) have speed traps but it's more of a cash grab then a safety play.

Speeding in a school zone is another story. It's dangerous and the public doesn't condone this behaviour.

Of course, cops rarely pull someone over for not holding onto a handrail ( I feel silly even writing this but you seem to lack perspective ). I don't think many of us give two hoots if someone holds a handrail. Taking this another step, actually throwing someone in a cell is stupid, unless the cop is assaulted for example. In fact, this kind of behaviour by the cop is very offensive to many of us.

Believe what you want you are in a very, very small minority ( some would say tiny ) that thinks any of this is ok.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 20th May, 2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Today's News

Page A8 of today's Montreal Gazette has a follow-up. Laval police stated:

"They acted only after they got three separate refusals from Kosoian to grab hold, Lt. Daniel Guerin said of the incident. "The third time, she crossed her arms".
                        Kosoian also refused, initially, to provide identification, Guerin said.
                        "The two oficers acted appropriately and within the procedures"."

Ms. Kosoian is identified as womens' coordinator for the CFC and a citizen of France.

The article states that the offence is rarely ticketed in Laval and never on the island of Montreal.

It looks like the officers might have been technically correct. Hiowever, I think this is the kind of thing they keep in their back pocket for people who tick them off. It shouldn't have been beyond their powers to avoid escalating the situation to that level.

It just shows that the only way to handle run-of-the-mill interactions with the police is the "Yes officer - No officer" approach. Don't make waves unless you want to risk fighting something foolish like this.

For the record, I have broken this rule about a million times. What's the statute of limitations on handrail offences?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Laval...303/story.html
                        Last edited by Neil Sullivan; Wednesday, 20th May, 2009, 06:55 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Anthony, you seem to be as mature as Kevin.

Comment

Re: Today's News

Sounds like someone in managament at the police department in Laval is incompetant and building an unhealthy workplace culture. Push comes to shove given recent swine flu / sars scares I think someone could very easily defend their actions based on a fear of catching viruses from public places.

If this is "appropriate" in Laval well it doesn't seem right the citizen's should put some heat on the police department on this.

Comment

Most people get reduced fines or not guilty at traffic court. I've been once my "illegal left turn" ticket got thrown out in 10 seconds. I bet a lot of people don't realize at time of incident the police have all the power but at traffic court the defendent has a better chance. Often the police don't show up or as I have heard on things like left turns on times the law is not necessarily enforceable.

Comment

@Duncan, I think you've just invoked the Michael Jackson defense.
                                If you don't want to catch anything then why be in a public place at all. Obviously you will inevitably touch a seat or a pole or strap, you will even brush against people, make contact with a turnstye. Not to mention people sneezing, coughing and just exhaling. If you don't like germs do a Howard Hughes.

Comment

Working...
                                X