Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    @Duncan, I think you've just invoked the Michael Jackson defense.
    If you don't want to catch anything then why be in a public place at all. Obviously you will inevitably touch a seat or a pole or strap, you will even brush against people, make contact with a turnstye. Not to mention people sneezing, coughing and just exhaling. If you don't like germs do a Howard Hughes.
    The irony of your post is not lost on me. It was you and/or Gary that brought up ridiculous premises like someone could fall on me etc etc. I have no extraordinary fear of viruses I don't even believe in flu shots. We've come full circle. The whole point is "holding a handrail" as a punishable crime is ridiculous. The fact that a cop would deliberately escalate this to obstruction etc and throw someone in a jail cell is also ridiculous but it's not funny because it's a severe disregard for basic human rights.

The fact that the virus thing is a defence however is undeniable. The chances you could catch a virus are ballpark as strong as some person falling on you on the same escalator. Neither is likely, but we should all be free to make our own choices in these regards provided we are not recklessly endangering other people.

If you have something concrete to say on this topic please do but so far you haven't offered much that is logical, pertinent, or interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      ... provided we are not recklessly endangering other people.
      Exactly!

---------------------------
      Microsoft Internet Explorer
      The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
      OK
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

@Duncan, I didn't come up with a ridiculous premise, I posted a link to a situation where that may exactly have happened, sending 8 people to hospital on the TTC, hold the handrail - its the better way, 94% of escalator accidents are caused by misuse not mechanical malfunction

you for some reason veered off into a critique of my driving, although I don't remember ever driving anywhere with you?

Comment

Re: Today's News

"escalating the situation", eh? Very amusing.

Now I suppose I have to say something else to avoid Mallon's idiotic 10-word constraint.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

George, have you got that $5 you owe me?

10-words 10-words 10-words lakndlhy0rqn;bgl agnl;nj dohiweqonglnb

Comment

Duncan Smith posts ten words, Chris demands quantity not quality :D:D:D

Comment

10 Words or 10 Characters??

characters

Comment

We have way more than 10 characters on here.

Comment

Bela Kosoian & Her Troubles

There seems to be many "bleeding heart" liberals weighing in on this topic, both liberal and anti-police. (As you will soon see, I am a right wing person.)

Let's review. A Police Officer (no doubt politely) asks a Citizen to perform a simple action to obey a law. The C refuses. The PO asks again and gets a "smart" response. Depending on which newspaper you believe (or should that be whether you believe the C or the PO), C gets asked a 3rd time to obey the law. Obviously another refusal. Ticket issued. I am not sure where the obstruction comes from, but it seems to imply that something more than not obeying the law was done (or maybe the PO simply piled it on?).

There are a few bad POs, but for the most part, they are polite and courteous and take a lot of abuse.

And many are defending the C?

If the C really feels the law is bad, then try to have it changed. After all, it was her law-makers that passed it in the 1st place, albeit, maybe long ago.

This sickness fear could be real if one suffers from OCD, but I would bet it is just a cop-out (pun intended!). C went too far and probably has authority issues (Dr. MacDonald weighing in! ;) ).

To quickly mention another "germ fear" situation, have you ever seen how the restaurants "clean" a table for the next patron? They wipe it until it looks clean, but use a cloth that has wiped many other gross tables. How would a person suffering from OCD feel about that?

May I suggest that this C will behave differently next time?

OK, guys, flame away!

Comment

As a left-winger, I'll suggest the law is an ass in this case, and it's a perfect example of the dark side of the state's coercive arm.

Flamey enough, Ken?:D

Comment

the news is getting "hot".

http://news.google.ca/news?ned=ca&hl...p2IwYgM&cf=all

the last edition in the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...etro-fine.html

Comment

The state shouldn't be wasting resources on these sorts of issues. However, if someone gets injured while not exercising reasonable judgement they should have to pay for their own medical care. Further, if they should cause injury to someone else (e.g. they trip, crash into someone else, and that person is injured), they should have to not only pay the other person's medical bills, but face a civil lawsuit as well.

On the other hand the state MUST meddle in these sorts of things IF they are footing the bill. That's why seatbelts and helmets must be mandatory, for example. It is fine to allow people the right to choose (badly) with regard to safety, but on the other hand the state cannot afford to waste its resources helping people who will not help themselves.

In summary either:

1) Agree to pay for people's medical care but intrude in their daily lives.

Or

2) Tell citizens that they can do whatever they want, but will find that they must literally pay for the consequences of their actions (i.e. they get maximum personal freedom but have maximum personal responsibility).

Personally I like option 2 better.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Option 2 will never work,people will holler when they have to do it & won't be able to afford it in any case. Also money does not make everything allright if someone has an injury, especially the more serious ones. Sure there may be my medical bills but what about the inconvenience, the life altering - I was on my way to a job interview for a job I was likely to get when you caused my accident, are you going to replace my salary because I couldn't get to the interview due to your actions?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                              The state shouldn't be wasting resources on these sorts of issues. However, if someone gets injured while not exercising reasonable judgement they should have to pay for their own medical care. Further, if they should cause injury to someone else (e.g. they trip, crash into someone else, and that person is injured), they should have to not only pay the other person's medical bills, but face a civil lawsuit as well.

On the other hand the state MUST meddle in these sorts of things IF they are footing the bill. That's why seatbelts and helmets must be mandatory, for example. It is fine to allow people the right to choose (badly) with regard to safety, but on the other hand the state cannot afford to waste its resources helping people who will not help themselves.

In summary either:

1) Agree to pay for people's medical care but intrude in their daily lives.

Or

2) Tell citizens that they can do whatever they want, but will find that they must literally pay for the consequences of their actions (i.e. they get maximum personal freedom but have maximum personal responsibility).

Personally I like option 2 better.
                              The Montreal Metro has signs up on this issue. I am sure that is because they have been sued sometime in the past when someone got hurt and the city insurance company made the signage a requirement. So, the signs are now up. The Insurance company is happy. Now all the city has to do is sit back and relax. If people get hurt because they think they know better then that becomes their problem. I agree with Bela that the Metro Police should be doing more constructive things with their time.

Comment

Larry:

"If people get hurt because they think they know better then that becomes their problem. "

Really? I think it also becomes MY problem, because I have to pay taxes to aid people who aren't careful and end up in hospital.

It's like these goofs who go skiing in dangerous locales then end up getting caught in an avalanche. If society just said "ski in location X and we are going to leave you to die there" people might decide that hey, that's probably a pretty dopey idea. Some might even not do it.

Zeljko:

Yes, if X gets hurt going to a job interview and that would cost him his job then sure Y should have to pay even if that meant they would be poor the rest of their lives. So they can weigh the .0001% chance that their actions could cause an accident against the huge cost of that tiny chance happening.

There is a big difference between accidents that "just happen" and accidents that are someone's fault. Let's try to eliminate the latter.
                                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X