"Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

Proven fact that crime rates going down will do nothing to prevent paranoid people from overreacting to every crime event they read about. There is not more crime now we just have more news about it.

Sorry we don't need a police state. There are plenty of choices elsewhere in the world where you can get these conditions; you can always move. China seems interesting in this regard; big brother ( the government ) will take care of you there no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      Sorry we don't need a police state. There are plenty of choices elsewhere in the world where you can get these conditions; you can always move. China seems interesting in this regard; big brother ( the government ) will take care of you there no problem.
      Did you miss the part where Harper and his government made Quebec a nation within a united Canada?

That along with the notwithstanding clause of the constitution pretty much allows Quebec to operate the way they want.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
        There is not more crime now we just have more news about it.
        Not wise to blame the media on this one. Agreed that the media is very powerful. But a gunshot wound is just that, a gunshot wound. No matter how much you reduce or blow it out of proportion , the fact remains the same.

I am for public involvement in reducing crime. This summer , TAVIS, the Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy will get underway with an excellent program.

Perhaps the public can be 'monitoring' public transit handrail infractions as well. Not with fines, but with words. Makes society a better place to live when the public gets involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Anyhow, it appears the police are comfortable with the charges. Here's something else from the newspaper on a later date.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/
          That link is now dead. Here is a current link:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1140981/

The most obvious difference between the dead article and the new article is that the old one, which I accessed soon after its publication, promised 232 comments. The new one doesn't say how many comments it has, but if I click "Comments" or "New Comments", nothing happens.

Comment

I hope the newspapers cover the outcome of this event.

The problem with fighting tickets is it costs money, takes your time and takes a lot of energy. I used to fight my traffic tickets because I needed my license for my job and didn't want to lose points. However, I never argued with the cop who stopped me and always showed the identification and papers asked for.

I remember one time a chess player you and I both know came into the club. We were young back then and he probably didn't have his drivers license very long. He'd gotten a ticket for his driving.

Appearantly he was weaving in and out of traffic. The cop, who didn't know him, told him he drove like a chess player and this really amused him. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

She is on radio news today. Today she will have the case in Supreme Court of Canada.
              https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/supreme-...ling-1.4179001

Comment

I wonder how much this has cost her in legal fees so far - possibly more than the $45k she's asking for. I hope that - even if she wins her case - that the Supreme Court award her the sum of $1 - simply for wasting the times of the various courts long after her original case was settled.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  I wonder how much this has cost her in legal fees so far - possibly more than the $45k she's asking for. I hope that - even if she wins her case - that the Supreme Court award her the sum of $1 - simply for wasting the times of the various courts long after her original case was settled.
                  Standing up to officials who think they can create laws on the fly is not wasting the court's time. Officials need to be held to account when they breach charter rights and should be expected to understand the laws that they are trying to enforce.

Comment

"Our" Bela Kosoian in the news, unfortunately

January 3, 2019

For those, like myself, who are new to the case, there is an excellent summary in the Toronto Star online today:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...l-battles.html

The last few paragraphs of that article:

“Kosoian and her lawyer again appealed, this time to the Supreme Court. They asked four questions: Does the pictogram legally oblige people to hold the escalator handrail? Can a police officer be sued if his actions against a citizen, including use of force and arrest, are not supported by an existing law? Is the STM responsible for Camacho’s actions? Did Kosoian contribute to the damages against her by refusing to identify herself when Camacho acted on a non-existent regulation?

In the last decade, the Supreme Court has only granted about 10 per cent of the 500 or so requests for appeals it receives each year. So Thomas Slade, a lawyer who is not involved in the case, says he was initially surprised when the court agreed to hear Kosoian.

“Almost every year the Supreme Court grants at least one case that’s sometimes a little bit of a head-scratcher at first,” says Slade, a partner at Supreme Advocacy, an Ottawa-based firm that specializes in appeals to the highest court.

In hindsight, Slade believes the ruling will determine the validity of pictograms across the country, and decide whether police officers can be held responsible for acting on the fictitious belief that a law or regulation exists.

“If you’re punishing someone for an offence that doesn’t exist, that seems pretty far beyond what you can actually call reasonable,” Slade says in a phone interview.

If she is successful, the money Kosoian might win will not begin to cover the costs of the multiple court battles and the Supreme Court appeal. Missakila, her lawyer, is considering how he might raise funds to help cover the costs.

For Kosoian, a Supreme Court ruling can’t come soon enough.”

Comment

The case was heard by the Supreme Court yesterday (April 16, 2019). Other news reports say it could take "months" before they render a decision.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suprem...rail-1.4382902

Comment

Latest update: Bela is awarded $20,000 by the supreme court

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rail-1.5377772

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                          Latest update: Bela is awarded $20,000 by the supreme court

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rail-1.5377772
                          Congratulations to Bela !!!
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Congratulations, Bela!! Perseverance and principle has paid off. This case is one of the most ridiculous I have ever heard of in Canada. Think of how those resources could have been better used on so many other worthwhile cases.

Comment

Working...
                            X