CFC Newsletter (maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Newsletter (maybe)

I just received an e-mail from "CFC Newsletter <m.gagne@rogers.com>" that has a link. My computer is telling me it is spam. Is it?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Re: CFC Newsletter (maybe)

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I just received an e-mail from "CFC Newsletter <m.gagne@rogers.com>" that has a link. My computer is telling me it is spam. Is it?
    Seems very likely to me. What is the link? You can Private Message me the link but If you post the link here, be careful
    and deliberately make the link non-functional by leaving out the final ".com" or similar part and putting that a few spaces later in English eg: [dot.com]
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Here is the full text. I have removed the last 3 letters and the http part at the beginning

Hello!

New message, please read //xn--33-bmcdo.xn--p1ai/wanted[/url]

CFC Newsletter
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        Here is the full text. I have removed the last 3 letters and the http part at the beginning

Hello!

New message, please read //xn--33-bmcdo.xn--p1ai/wanted[/url]

CFC Newsletter
        Thanks. Without the last 3 letters I cannot go there myself (I was just curious) but it most definitely looks like spam or worse.

Edit: I went to the website. Seems to be a Russian web page advertising Mattresses and similar bedroom furniture... but no CFC newsletter!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Thanks. Without the last 3 letters I cannot go there myself (I was just curious) but it most definitely looks like spam or worse.

Edit: I went to the website. Seems to be a Russian web page advertising Mattresses and similar bedroom furniture... but no CFC newsletter!
          Did you check to see if they had Kevin Spraggett's long-awaited report on the CFC/Canadian chess?

Steve

Comment

What's the status of the Newsletter? The last issue I got was dated May, 2015. Have there been any issues since?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
              Did you check to see if they had Kevin Spraggett's long-awaited report on the CFC/Canadian chess?

Steve
              LMAO - thanks Steve, that made my day, week, month, year... Great shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                LMAO - thanks Steve, that made my day, week, month, year... Great shot.
                Decade? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  What's the status of the Newsletter? The last issue I got was dated May, 2015. Have there been any issues since?
                  The latest email with the subject "Chess Canada News 2015.05" received on Nov 24.
                  In May I received "... 2014.12" and 2015.01.
                  Got 02, 03, 04 in between too.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    The latest email with the subject "Chess Canada News 2015.05" received on Nov 24.
                    In May I received "... 2014.12" and 2015.01.
                    Got 02, 03, 04 in between too.
                    The next issue 2015.06 is ready to go. I received it from John today.
                    I will start sending it out this evening. But go about your New Year's festivities, it will take a few days to reach everyone. There are bulk email limitations on our accounts, and with some concerns about the CFC newsletter account mentioned above, we will avoid using that account until we know what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      The next issue 2015.06 is ready to go. I received it from John today.
                      I will start sending it out this evening. But go about your New Year's festivities, it will take a few days to reach everyone. There are bulk email limitations on our accounts, and with some concerns about the CFC newsletter account mentioned above, we will avoid using that account until we know what's going on.
                      Will this issue have news only up until June, or will it have news from over the summer? If the latter - why not just date it December (or January) and start afresh?

Comment

Will this issue have news only up until June, or will it have news from over the summer?

Only events through June: Jeff Sarwer interview and annotated games, GPO, Ontario Open, and three games from other events.

I have contributions from most of the people who said they'd annotate games from later events -- CYCC, Zonal, Francophone Ch, Montreal Open, Calgary International, Calgary Invitational, BC Senior, as well as collections of annotated games from Terry Song and Jason Cao played over the summer.
                        The annotator for the Edmonton International has not delivered what he promised, so I have to make a decision about that.

I could packaged that all into one super-jumbo issue of 300+ pages...

If the latter - why not just date it December (or January) and start afresh?
                        What would be the point of doing that?

Comment

Nitpick from the 2015.06 issue I just received - the rapid tournament in Poland in which Jeff Sarwer played was in 2007 (not in 2009 as mentioned in the article). Sources include http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1477090

And...we are missing rating lists! There should always be a list of at least the top-rated players, so we can see how they move up and down the rankings. I thought that was one of the purposes of an online magazine - that there was no limit to "space", so that complete rating lists could be published in each issue. Of course - for an issue that's dated last June - do you publish the June ratings, or the current ones? (one of my reasons for changing the issue date to December or January).

Comment

By the way John, very impressed with the Sarwer articles, well done!

Comment

Working...
                            X