2016 Susan Polgar Foundation Girls' Invitational - Quebec Qualifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Susan Polgar Foundation Girls' Invitational - Quebec Qualifer

For the first time ever, Quebec will have a representative at the: 2016 Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational (SPFGI)! This is possible thanks to M. Andrei Botez who negotiated this arrangement with the SPF and the national head of qualification process. The Quebec and Ontario qualifiers for this event are being organized by the Chess'n Math Association under the auspices of Mr. Botez. Francis Rodrigues will be announcing the Ontario Qualifier shortly.

GM Susan Polgar and Webster University extended invitations for Canadians girls starting in 2016 to participate in “The 13th Annual Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational” scheduled to take place at Webster University, Saint Louis, Missouri (date will be announced later). The event will offer more than $200K in prizes and scholarships. See a little further down for all of the Championship and qualification details.

First you must qualify to this GIRLS ONLY event: Quebec Qualifier February 12-14, 2016 This is your ONLY chance to represent Quebec at this prestigious event!

Location: Chess’n Math Association, 3423 St Denis, Montreal, QC

System: 5 round swiss. Rd 1 at 6pm on Feb 12, 10am and 4 pm on Feb 13 and 10am and 4 pm on Feb 14, 2016. Time Control: 90 minutes per game + 5 sec. increment.

Entry Fee: $30. You must register no later than January 29, 2016. Registration form attached.

***Webster University will provide complimentary room and meal accommodation on campus for all qualifiers.

***There is no entry fee to participate in the 2016 SPFGI; however, players are responsible for their own travel. Chess’n Math will pay the airfare of the Quebec representative!

About the SPFGI and qualification criteria:
    The annual Susan Polgar Girls’ Invitational, is the most prestigious all-girls event in the United States. It will once again be held at Webster University (St. Louis, Missouri).
    There will be an intense training session with Susan Polgar and members of the SPICE team, followed by a 6 round (g/90+30) FIDE rated championship tournament.
    The traditional Blitz, Puzzle Solving, Bughouse events will stay the same as in previous years.
    There will be many chess prizes awarded, as well as scholarships to Webster University.
    Each Canadian province is allowed one representative. The Chess’n Math Association is responsible for the Quebec event.
    Players must have been enrolled in a school (up to 12th grade) located in the province they represent, also of the year in which the tournament is held. Home-schooled students who are 19 or under on the year in which the event is held or students who have never attended traditional college on a full time basis prior to July 1 of the year in which the tournament is held, are eligible to represent the state in which they reside.
    VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: The participants of the Susan Polgar Girl’s Invitational DO NOT have to be high school students. Any qualifier who is 19 or under (on the year in which the tournament is held) is eligible!
    Prizes: Trophies / plaques will be awarded to the winners of the Susan Polgar Foundation Girl’s Invitational Puzzle Solving, Blitz, Bughouse and the SPFGI Championship. Co-champions are recognized in the case of a tie, with each champion receiving a Champion’s Plaque or Trophy.
    The Champion (or Co-Champions) of the main event will automatically be invited to defend her/their title (must meet age requirement).
    Champion: Webster University scholarship* (approximately $24,000+ per year x 4 years) Champion’s Cup. (In case of a tie, a playoff will used to determine the level of scholarships)
    2nd place: Webster University scholarship (approximately $14,000+ per year x 4 years)
    3rd place: Webster University scholarship (approximately $12,000+ per year x 4 years)
    * The scholarships to Webster University must be exercised no later than Fall of 2018, and are not transferable. In addition, these scholarships cannot be combined with other academic scholarships, or stacked. If players won scholarships in past events, they can choose to exercise the highest one.

Re: 2016 Susan Polgar Foundation Girls' Invitational - Quebec Qualifer

Congrats to Andrei and Larry on your negotiations. Since the winners of your qualifiers are going outside of Canada to represent their provinces, I have a few questions:

o Are the qualifying tournaments CFC\FQE rated?
    o Are the provincial chess associations involved?
    o How are the young ladies in the other provinces and territories who wish to participate qualify for the Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational (SPFGI) in your negotiated arrangement? I think we should exclude any girls due to geography.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Lee View Post
      Congrats to Andrei and Larry on your negotiations. Since the winners of your qualifiers are going outside of Canada to represent their provinces, I have a few questions:

o How are the young ladies in the other provinces and territories who wish to participate qualify for the Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational (SPFGI) in your negotiated arrangement? I think we should exclude any girls due to geography.
      Not sure I understand what's behind your post, Frank. For example, why not just offer sincere congratulations on a job well done by someone who apparently took the initiative to do something positive for chess within his area of influence? Why ask whether provincial associations were involved, particularly a moribund piece of deadwood (imo) like the OCA? Instead of sounding critical about geography, why not take a positive approach and ask the individuals involved if there is anything you/the CFC could do to HELP extend this privilege to other parts of Canada?

p.s. Are you still the CFC's junior co-ordinator? I couldn't find an up-to-date list of current officers at the CFC's website.
      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Friday, 15th January, 2016, 01:43 PM.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Lee View Post

Hi Frank,

I found your questions legitimate, and I would like to thank you for asking. I was hoping for some interest when I posted the original message on August 21st, 2015, Vlad and Vadim where the only ones at that time showing interest.

Here are the answers:
        1) Qualifying tournaments can be rated or not. Organizer can decide if and where to rate those tournaments.
        2) It will be ideal if the provincial chess association would like to be involved in organizing qualifiers.
        3) The goal is to have one girl representative from each province. As a junior coordinator, I was wondering if you can help me contacting any organizers from Canadian provinces with the exception of Alberta, BC, Quebec and Ontario?

Thank you

Andrei Botez

Comment

A very good initiative by A.Botez to make it more organized.

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          GM Susan Polgar and Webster University extended invitations for Canadians girls starting in 2016 to participate in “The 13th Annual Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational” scheduled to take place at Webster University, Saint Louis, Missouri (date will be announced later)..
          I don't understand this statement, as several Canadian girls have already played and even won:
          http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/116
          http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/534

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            I don't understand this statement, as several Canadian girls have already played and even won:
            Egis, I believe Larry intentionally made the wording identical to that of the official CFC newsfeed.

It means that prior to 2016, participants from Canada could be invited to the SPFI on the same conditions as those from Central America (Mexico, Cuba, Costa Rica), i.e. paying their own way. Kudos to Jackie, Andrea and their parents who achieved remarkable success on these terms.

Now, due to the agreement reached by Andrei, participants from ten Canadian provinces are invited on the same terms as those from fifty American states. Andrei valiantly tried to obtain three more slots for the territories but Susan drew a line in the sand. :)

Comment

Here is the latest update of a list of preregistered players for the tournament that will be held in Montreal on February 12-14. The three top female players under 19 years old in Quebec (and five out of seven highest rated) will take part.

Code:
              Rank	Title	Last name	First name	Residence	FQE ID	FQE rtg	CFC ID	CFC rtg	FIDE ID	FIDE rg	CMA ID	CMA rtg
              1	WCM	Ouellet		Maili-Jade	St-Lambert	103293	2023	151330	2169	2620472	1929	959679	2172
              2 	 	Li		Yi Lin		LaSalle		104322	1949	156858	1911	8610410	1844	1077219	1948
              3		Shi 		Ling Yun	Montreal	101549	1803	148247	1762	261733	1893	796083	1751
              4	WCM	Kuleshova	Julia		Montreal	103770	1534	156150	1349	2621649	1498	1107516	1287
              5	 	Tsypin		Allison		Pointe-Claire	102998	1475	156155	1568	2620260	1277	1000967	1566

Comment

The Chess`n Math Association (CMA) and the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) have joined forces and we are proud to announce that the 2016 event is being recognized as the official Quebec Junior Girl's Championship, with the winner qualifying to the 13th Annual Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational.

The airfare of the winner of the Quebec Championship will be paid for by the CMA. The Quebec event is rated by the CMA and the FQE.

We are now working on putting the Ontario qualifier together and we will update everyone when we have the details.

Thank you to Andrei Botez and Vadim Tyspin for being the driving forces behind this exciting initiative!

Larry Bevand
                Executive Director
                Chess'n Math Association

Comment

Here is the latest update of a list of preregistered players for the Quebec Junior Girls Championship that will be held in Montreal on February 12-14. Six out of seven highest rated female players under 19 years old in Quebec, including the three top ones, have already confirmed their participation.

Code:
                  Rank	Title	Last name	First name	Residence	FQE ID	FQE rtg	CFC ID	CFC rtg	FIDE ID	FIDE rg	CMA ID	CMA rtg
                  1	WCM	Ouellet		Maili-Jade	St-Lambert	103293	2023	151330	2169	2620472	1929	959679	2172
                  2 	 	Li		Yi Lin		LaSalle		104322	1949	156858	1911	8610410	1844	1077219	1948
                  3		Shi 		Ling Yun	Montreal	101549	1803	148247	1762	261733	1893	796083	1751
                  4	WCM	Kuleshova	Julia		Montreal	103770	1534	156150	1349	2621649	1498	1107516	1287
                  5		Yu		Cindy		Montreal	103951	1500	156211	1338	2619482	N/A	887782	1336
                  6	 	Tsypin		Allison		Pointe-Claire	102998	1475	156155	1568	2620260	1277	1000967	1566
                  To harmonize with the Championnat jeunesse du Quebec successfully organized each year by the FQE and the Susan Polgar Foundation Inivitational in St-Louis, time control has been changed to "game/90min + 30sec increment".
                  Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Monday, 1st February, 2016, 04:41 PM. Reason: Orthography.

Comment

Working...
                  X