Vlad Drucklec Censor's My Response's to him On The CFC Discussion Boards My Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vlad Drucklec Censor's My Response's to him On The CFC Discussion Boards My Resp

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    He is still president with no powers at the moment. If this is a stumbling block for the U.S., it will be a pity, as the U.S. has a strong team for the Olympiad as well as several players that might go far in the next world championship cycle.
    Yes, I agree that it would be a pity, it is a pity that FIDE put it's organization at risk by remaining involved with Kirsan in any way shape or form.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 27th January, 2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Re: Vlad Drucklec Censor's My Response's to him On The CFC Discussion Boards My Resp

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      ..Here is a post that Mig Greengard did on chess talk that is much more illuminating then what I can say that clearly shows why Canada would benefit from embracing Garry Kasparov.
      Why does all the great things Mig indicates require Kasparov to be FIDE president? He could start initiatives around bringing chess to schools in Canada (I'm sure the very concept shocks Larry Bevand btw). He could do whatever this mystery plan is to bring thousands of members into the system by incorporating online players. Being an essential member of FIDE commissions is relatively pointless in my view. So what's stopping him?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
        Why does all the great things Mig indicates require Kasparov to be FIDE president? He could start initiatives around bringing chess to schools in Canada (I'm sure the very concept shocks Larry Bevand btw). He could do whatever this mystery plan is to bring thousands of members into the system by incorporating online players. Being an essential member of FIDE commissions is relatively pointless in my view. So what's stopping him?
        Hi David, none of the things described require Garry to be FIDE president and they are in fact doing all these great things. As you can see Mig invited the CFC to contact him. The distinct competence they have with respect to chess in schools is offering a program that makes it possible to have chess as part of the curriculum and not an optional activity. Here is a link that gives you further info http://kasparovchessfoundation.org/
        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 27th January, 2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

So, in a sense, Kirsan is in limbo, much as Rob Ford was in the latter part of his City of Toronto mayoralty (2010-2014).

Ford was still Mayor of Toronto in name, but with greatly reduced powers. There was no possible way, using existing legislation, of formally getting rid of Ford, so Toronto City Council chose this option, which worked out well. Another Councillor, Norm Kelly, stepped in as de-facto Mayor, after election by Council to this role, assuming most of the mayor's powers, to finish the term.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
            Hi David, none of the things described require Garry to be FIDE president and they are in fact doing all these great things. As you can see Mig invited the CFC to contact him. The distinct competence they have with respect to chess in schools is offering a program that makes it possible to have chess as part of the curriculum and not an optional activity. Here is a link that gives you further info http://kasparovchessfoundation.org/
            Fair point, and if this is the case (material assistance with this is available with no strings attached), the CFC is very foolish for not doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
              Fair point, and if this is the case (material assistance with this is available with no strings attached), the CFC is very foolish for not doing so.
              I have tried giving up sleep but it doesn't seem to work so well. We have somewhat limited human resources to work with. The chess in the schools program is of interest. I have had discussions with people about this going back to my first months as CFC president. At that time our CFC office was a bit over stressed and it seemed more important to get that dealt with before trying to launch a massive new program. We recently signed a deal with Premium Chess. They have a platform for teaching called Junior Arena which will offer free membership to players aged under 14 years of age which probably conveniently encompasses grade school kids. It is also expected to play an important role in the FIDE chess in the schools program. Once those pieces are in play we will have the beginnings of something to work with. There are a few other things that we are working on that could probably coalesce into something that will contribute to preparing the ground for such a program. I cannot take on any more major tasks at least through the end of the summer until the three tournaments (CYCC, Canadian Open and NAYCC) have been completed and it would probably take the active involvement of a board member to make this work. I expect that with what is happening with these three tournaments I will be in touch with people in government who are interested in helping us in this regard.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Vlad. Working together with the Kasparov Foundation could be very interesting. If only there were more hours in the day, and/or more people (with thick enough skin) willing to jump in.

Comment

... We recently signed a deal with Premium Chess. They have a platform for teaching called Junior Arena which will offer free membership to players aged under 14 years of age which probably conveniently encompasses grade school kids. It is also expected to play an important role in the FIDE chess in the schools program. ...
                  Say Vlad, have you had the chance to check out the Junior Arena? Like could teachers use it to give their students supplementary training between lessons, etc? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                    Say Vlad, have you had the chance to check out the Junior Arena? Like could teachers use it to give their students supplementary training between lessons, etc? Thanks.
                    My understanding is that there is a whole library of lessons and videos that teachers and federation approved instructors and kids can access.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing Vlad. Working together with the Kasparov Foundation could be very interesting. If only there were more hours in the day, and/or more people (with thick enough skin) willing to jump in.
                      Willing to jump in is the key differentiator.

Comment

Does anyone know whether Ilyumzhinov is still receiving his salary for being FIDE President during his suspension? This seems like the kind of information that a Zobal President should have access to. I'd appreciate a complete answer to this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                          Does anyone know whether Ilyumzhinov is still receiving his salary for being FIDE President during his suspension? This seems like the kind of information that a Zobal President should have access to. I'd appreciate a complete answer to this question.
                          I think they have doubled his salary to zero dollars per year.

Comment

I think they have doubled his salary to zero dollars per year.
                            Of course he would not take a salary when all kinds of other clever schemes exist to siphon money out of FIDE, see link below

https://www.chess.com/news/deal-betw...-document-6252
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 30th January, 2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Vlad and Sid for their informative posts.

I take from Vlad's post that Ilyumzhinov does NOT draw a salary from FIDE.

I take from Sid's post that there very well may be a kickback type of scheme involving Andrew Paulson and Ilyumzhinov, around the staging of FIDE tournaments.

Comment

The FIDE President does not draw a salary and Andrew Paulson is no longer involved with Agon. I could not open Sid's link but in principle I would rather see the President on a published salary and prohibited from holding a proprietary stake in the WC Cycle. Campomanes was very adept at "milking, not stealing" from FIDE activities, according to a FIDE insider. Kirsan rescued FIDE from insolvency in the early days, and is possibly trying to claw back some of his investment. I really don't know either way. You won't find evidence of it in the audited accounts.

Comment

Working...
                                X