Peter Stockhausen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Stockhausen

Kevin Spraggett is reporting that Peter Stockhausen has died; August 20,1948–February 18,2016

Re: Peter Stockhausen

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Kevin Spraggett is reporting that Peter Stockhausen has died; August 20,1948–February 18,2016
    That is unfortunate. My condolences to his friends and family.

Peter still participated in CFC meetings and sent supportive emails during some trying times.

Comment

I missed this sad news the first time round. Peter was one of our most prominent organizers in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. His Bay of Quinte events were the talk of all strong players. Peter went out of his way to accommodate them. I am not sure if anyone ran more Canadian Opens than Peter did. Kevin Spraggett once described Peter as one of the best organizers in the world.

I used to butt heads with Peter on occasion but his heart was always in the right place. RIP old chum!

Comment

Peter Stockhausen was the CFC President in 1986 and again in 2002. He served as CFC Treasurer 1997-2000 and in 2007. He was a big chess guy that did a lot for organized chess in Canada over the years.

Peter ran hotels all over Canada. He also organized chess tournaments. When Canadian Opens were held at one of his hotels it was always a big deal. While Peter moved on to a different hotel in another part of Canada he often left local groups that could and did go on to hold future Canadian Opens.

I got to know Peter when I played at his Canadian Open in 1999 in Richmond. Peter and Les Bunning asked me to join the CFC Executive at that time. For the next few years I would make a point of meeting Peter every time I passed through Vancouver. We had our differences. I lost touch with Peter after my time on the CFC Executive about 10 years ago. But RIP and thanks for everything!

Comment

I believe he also organized Canadian Opens in Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Comment

Peter was always friendly to me and we had some interesting conversations. I interviewed him for Chess Canada and he shared some great insights and a to-do list to run a first class chess tournament. RIP Peter.

Comment

I helped Peter with the 1996 Cadet Ch. in Winnipeg by getting all the games into an orderly database and [other than a minor complaint for not getting credit for my efforts] I found him to be friendly, generous, and professional. I think it was around that time that I started volunteering, as well as playing, and no doubt Peter had something to do with that.

RIP, Peter.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

There is this page - you can select some of the numbered items on the left.

https://sites.google.com/site/stockhausendead/

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  There is this page - you can select some of the numbered items on the left.

More of this gong show... I suppose Spraggett will be all over this drama too.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I spoke with Peter briefly on a couple of occasions at tournaments he was organizing, but certainly didn't know him well.

He was clearly a major contributor to Canadian chess for many years, in the organizing and governance realms.

His life took turns for the worse during the past decade or so, and there are some controversial and troubling aspects to this, much of which remains unclear to most of us.

I believe in finding and honouring the good in people, wherever possible, and certainly with Peter there was a lot to respect and admire. He had a lot of friends in Canadian chess for many years, and those memories will hopefully remain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      More of this gong show... I suppose Spraggett will be all over this drama too.
                      I read through Spraggett's blog on this yesterday (you have to scroll down a fair bit now), and I agree about the "gong show" aspect of this. I personally would be happier if there were a source for this news other than what Karen Stockhausen has been relaying to Spraggett. Despite the controversy from several years ago, he still had contact with different members of the Canadian chess community. Presumably one of them will be able to confirm this in due course.

Steve

Comment

Re: Peter Stockhausen - G.F. OLIVER FUNERAL CHAPEL

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                        I read through Spraggett's blog on this yesterday (you have to scroll down a fair bit now), and I agree about the "gong show" aspect of this. I personally would be happier if there were a source for this news other than what Karen Stockhausen has been relaying to Spraggett. Despite the controversy from several years ago, he still had contact with different members of the Canadian chess community. Presumably one of them will be able to confirm this in due course.

Steve
                        PETER STOCKHAUSEN OBITUARY

The BCCF Executive regrets to announce the passing of former CFC President and once BC tournament regular Peter Stockhausen. Peter was twice elected to the CFC's top post, successfully brought the Canadian Open to Richmond in 1999, and was a CFC Life Governor. The BCCF Executive extends heartfelt condolences to Peter's wife, Karen, and daughter, Silken.

http://gfoliverfuneralchapel.com/stockhausen-peter/

G.F. OLIVER FUNERAL CHAPEL

225 - 15th Avenue North
                        P.O. Box 1171 Creston, B.C.
                        V0B 1G0
                        250-428-2611

gfofuneral@shaw.ca www.gfoliverfuneralchapel.com

http://chess.bc.ca/executive.shtmlhttp://chess.bc.ca/executive.shtml

Comment

Working...
                        X