Martha Samadashvili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martha Samadashvili

" So you do your homework for 2 hours a day, chess for 3 and piano for 1 hour? " :)

An 11-year-old Martha Samadashvili from Albany, NY, is a familiar face to Canadian junior players. The 2013 NAYCC Girls U-10 champion (Toronto) and the 2014 NAYCC Girls U-12 champion (Tarrytown, NY), Martha recently drew against a 2700 GM.

This interview link is courtesy of her mother Nino.

Re: Martha Samadashvili

I enjoyed the interview. Chockful of good advice (amazing coming from an 11 yr old!). Her description of why chess is better than video games is far better than anything I could say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      I enjoyed the interview. Chockful of good advice (amazing coming from an 11 yr old!). Her description of why chess is better than video games is far better than anything I could say about it.
      I love chess but nevertheless find this a bit disturbing. Where is the time for healthy physical sports? Spending so much time sitting in front of a schoolbook, chessboard or piano can't be healthy! And having a little bit of time to just 'chill out', hang out with friends is important too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
        I love chess but nevertheless find this a bit disturbing. Where is the time for healthy physical sports? Spending so much time sitting in front of a schoolbook, chessboard or piano can't be healthy! And having a little bit of time to just 'chill out', hang out with friends is important too.
        I worry about that too, but the interviewer didn't ask her about hanging with friends etc so perhaps that aspect was not on topic for the interview... There was the same concern for the Polgar sisters and they turned out ok (unless you ask Nigel Short <grin>) If you observe and talk to the kids at the chess club you will find that there can be a lot of emphasis on schoolwork, chess, piano, judo, hockey, baseball etc. I am glad all our children grew up before this era: I don't think I could have the energy required now to be a parent... :)
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Far better than 5 hours of video games and half an hour of sloppy homework which my son averaged. Fortunately he eventually broke the habit and became an excellent young man and parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
            It's not healthy and it seems to be more common for families of recent immigrants who tend to compete with each other on raising their children and treat their childhood as a career path. In Toronto, the tendency can also be to insist on private schools and they try to get their kids to go to American universities. A good deal of the excesses are pointless long term. There are enough stresses and responsibilities in regular life then to add to them needlessly.

Comment

Susan Polgar just tweeted this link:

https://chessdailynews.com/raising-b...ewing-them-up/

with the title "Raising brilliant children without screwing them up" (of course, I doubt it is directly related to the topic of this thread, but seems interesting all the same.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
              X