Celebration of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebration of Life

I and my sisters have been in Victoria this past week saying goodbye to my 95-year old father. He knew his body was giving up and planned the exit he wanted. It was more like a celebration than a tragedy. Content and remarkably fearless, he passed on Thursday evening.

Long ago, in his first year at University of Toronto, he spent so much time playing chess and bridge in Hart House that it was interfering with his academic performance. So he quit chess, not because he disliked it, but because he liked it too much. Eventually he taught me instead and was satisfied with vicarious competition. He was sort of my biggest fan but always silent and in the background.

By his wishes, a "Celebration of Life" reception will be held 2-5 Sunday afternoon in the Grand Pacific Ballroom. The room "where all the chess gets played". Instead of flowers, he wanted any donations to be sent to the Olympic Fund at www.chess.ca/node/921

Re: Celebration of Life

Dear Lawrence, thank you for a wonderful post. My best wishes to you and your family.

Comment

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for sharing that with us,we in Canada are grateful he got you into chess! Have an enjoyable reception this Sunday.
      Last edited by Eric Hansen; Friday, 26th February, 2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Lawrence, very moving.

I too had, and in a way still have, such a figure of strength and dignity in my life.

Please accept my condolences.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
          I and my sisters have been in Victoria this past week saying goodbye to my 95-year old father. He knew his body was giving up and planned the exit he wanted. It was more like a celebration than a tragedy. Content and remarkably fearless, he passed on Thursday evening.

Long ago, in his first year at University of Toronto, he spent so much time playing chess and bridge in Hart House that it was interfering with his academic performance. So he quit chess, not because he disliked it, but because he liked it too much. Eventually he taught me instead and was satisfied with vicarious competition. He was sort of my biggest fan but always silent and in the background.

By his wishes, a "Celebration of Life" reception will be held 2-5 Sunday afternoon in the Grand Pacific Ballroom. The room "where all the chess gets played". Instead of flowers, he wanted any donations to be sent to the Olympic Fund at www.chess.ca/node/921
          Our sincere condolences on the loss of your father. I remember meeting him a couple of times when you played at the Grand Pacific Open and we went to visit your Dad. He was always enthusiastic and supportive and had fascinating stories.

Mark and Christine Dutton
          Victoria, BC

Comment

My condolences to you and your family. Your father had a full life. A reception where the chess gets played seems like the ideal send off and thank you for thinking about the Olympiad team which you played on so many times with such distinction. I recall growing up reading your contributions to the CFC magazine and always eagerly devouring whatever you wrote.

Comment

Hi Lawrence,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I remember at one of the Wentworth Invitationals you gave us a not so brief history of your dad, it sounds like he had an interesting life. All the best to you in the future.

Regards,

Tony

Comment

Condolences to you and your family from us at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa.

Comment

My Condolences to you and your family.

Comment

Hey Lefty, I wish I could be there for the Celebration.

I never had the pleasure of meeting your Dad. You were his gift to all of us! Please keep writing.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that with us Lawrence. I wish you all the best.
                      Jean

Comment

My condolences Lawrence. I did not have the pleasure of meeting your father but he sounds like a man who would have been a delight to meet.
                        It is great to hear that he was able to control the circumstances related to his final days.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Dear Lawrence
                          My deepest sympathy. I remember your Dad from those days back in the old neighbourhood. I recall him coming with a very young Lawrence (13?) and asking me, as the next youngest at the RA Club, if I would keep an eye on the kid. (By the end of that season, the kid was playing level with me and soon was much stronger.) If that is any indication of the guiding role he played in your life, I can understand your sense of loss. Warmest regards to you and the family.
                          Gordon Ritchie

Comment

Hi Lawrence,

Our deepest sympathy for your loss from the Nickoloff Family. I often watched your Facebook wall and saw him singing with your beautiful sisters. May he rest in paradise.

Comment

Lawrence, my condolences. I enjoyed our time together at the 2006 Chess Olympiad and regret that I am not in Victoria for your wonderful chess celebration.

Comment

Working...
                              X