What Move Will Duncan Suttles Make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Move Will Duncan Suttles Make?

And no sooner do I post than I see than Hans Jung got in before me. My new guess will be 1.c4.

Comment

You can pick the same move that others pick.

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
      You can guess the same move that someone else guessed. If that move is made, the names go into a draw.
      I think some people have not read Paul's above remark.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: 1. a3!? is Miles ahead of the alternatives.

This makes little sense. What if everyone makes 20 guesses for each of the 20 possible opening moves? Wouldn't that mean everyone would have an equal chance of winning? And the thread may become unmanageable!

Comment

- one guess per player;
          - in the event of a tie, a winner will be drawn by lot from among the correct guesses
          http://wordpress.cvining.com/canadian-senior-2016/
          Hi Gordon. The quote above is from Paul's first post of the thread. Hope that clarifies matters for you.

Hi Paul: Since GM Duncan Suttles is making just a cerimonial first move, and not playing an actual game, I'll guess his choice will not have anything to do with his past chess repertoire. My pick is thus for 1.d4. If I've guessed correctly and won a prize, please give the amount of that prize to former Ottawa resident Roger Patterson.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Here's a summary of predictions. Let me know if I missed anyone. Contest is open until the day before the Canadian Senior Championship, 23 June 2016. You can change your prediction at any time. In the case of two people predicting the correct move, the winner will be chosen by a random draw.

Our block of hotel rooms is available until May 20th, book now. http://wordpress.cvining.com/canadian-senior-2016/

Neil Frarey 1. e4
            Tom O'Donnell 1. g3
            Bob Armstrong 1. h4
            Paul Leblanc 1. Nf3
            Nigel Hanrahan 1. a3
            Frank Dixon 1. Nc3
            Tony Li 1. f3
            Steve Douglas 1. b3
            Ian Findlay 1. Nh3
            Hans Jung 1. d3
            Gordon Taylor 1. c4
            Kevin Pacey 1. d4
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Here's a summary of predictions. Let me know if I missed anyone. Contest is open until the day before the Canadian Senior Championship, 23 June 2016. You can change your prediction at any time. In the case of two people predicting the correct move, the winner will be chosen by a random draw.

Our block of hotel rooms is available until May 20th, book now. http://wordpress.cvining.com/canadian-senior-2016/

Neil Frarey 1. e4
              Tom O'Donnell 1. g3
              Bob Armstrong 1. h4
              Paul Leblanc 1. Nf3
              Nigel Hanrahan 1. a3
              Frank Dixon 1. Nc3
              Tony Li 1. f3
              Steve Douglas 1. b3
              Ian Findlay 1. Nh3
              Hans Jung 1. d3
              Gordon Taylor 1. c4
              Kevin Pacey 1. d4
              Duncan was always original, so why would he adhere to the custom of the ceremonial first move being with the white pieces? In his early years he played 1.e4, only later switching to 1.g3. But with black................so he will play 1.......g6!

Comment

This isn't totally impossible. We had the Sports and Culture Minister of BC make the first move at the Canadian Open here in 2012. She claimed to have played chess as a child and played 1......c6
                Paul Leblanc

Comment

This isn't totally impossible. We had the Sports and Culture Minister of BC make the first move at the Canadian Open here in 2012. She claimed to have played chess as a child and played 1......c6
                  You misremember. It was 1.......b6. (Accelerated Owen's Defense I guess.....)

Comment

Record turnout. One day before the early bird cut-off and we have set a record for the largest Canadian Senior or BC Senior event in the admittedly short history of this tournament.
                    http://wordpress.cvining.com/canadia...gistered-list/
                    Paul Leblanc

Comment

I was planning to play in this tournament, but when I saw the entry fee was $50 and first prize was $130, it just seemed like something was very wrong. Not that I play chess for the money, but there are sponsors and the expenses are not paid to the World Championship, so does anyone know where the money is going?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                        I was planning to play in this tournament, but when I saw the entry fee was $50 and first prize was $130, it just seemed like something was very wrong. Not that I play chess for the money, but there are sponsors and the expenses are not paid to the World Championship, so does anyone know where the money is going?
                        some basic math (not that I have seen the actual budget):

40 players (a record number) x $50 = $2000 revenue

expenses:
                        ~$600 prizes
                        11 trophies - call it $300
                        venue ?? but 3 days in a hotel
                        TD ??
                        CFC rating fees $120 + tax
                        FIDE rating fees $90
                        BCCF dues: $120
                        other stuff I don't know much about (photos, other amenities for the players, misc. supplies, all equipment supplied)

so that's $1230 in known expenses plus venue rental and TD fees plus other as against $2000 in entry fee revenue.

So where is the money going - well, not much mystery there.

I understand that breakeven is supposed to be around 42 players but that sponsorship is indeed running ahead of projections so the event will do well. And all it took was a record turnout and the generous sponsorship of a large number of individuals.

Comment

Roger wrote:

40 players (a record number) x $50 = $2000 revenue
                          and

...the generous sponsorship of a large number of individuals.
                          Was/is the "sponsorship" in cash, or goods, or something else? If cash - that would add to the revenues.

Comment

Based on my current projection of 42 entries, our total revenue including all the sponsorship will be about $3,500. The biggest expense is the playing site at just under $1,000 followed by a modest prize fund of just under $600. Trophies were another $440. CFC Rating fees, BCCF fees, FIDE rating fees, the TD fee, coffee and snacks, souvenir photos, website, PayPal fees and equipment rental eat up most of the rest leaving a small projected surplus of about $300 that we are considering either adding to the prize fund or amenities or putting towards next year's tournament.
                            Our philosophy has been to keep entry fees as low as possible and to have a nice playing site and as many amenities as we can afford.
                            Ian, today's the last day to sign up at the early bird rate. I'll contact you once you send in your entry fee and arrange to pick you up at the airport. I think you will really enjoy this tournament and I look forward to seeing you again. It's also great that David Cummings is making the trip from Ontario.
                            Paul Leblanc

Comment

Thanks for solving the mystery. I was lucky enough to qualify for the Edmonton International, so I will not be playing. I really appreciate a good tournament. My only gripe would be spending so much money on trophies. Personally, I don't keep them, although my wife likes them now.

Comment

Re: 1. a3!? is Miles ahead of the alternatives.

I have won exactly one trophy for playing chess (winning a B prize in some Ottawa event in the 70's). Other activities have given me a couple of dozen more...but a lot less cash.

Comment

Working...
                                X