[grumble] CFC newsletter timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [grumble] CFC newsletter timing

Seeing how many long sentences the CFC president dedicates to the OYCC thread, I wonder why he did not spend the same amount of energy on the CFC newsletter that it would match numbering with a date (the latest newsletter received on March 2, 2016 was named as 2015.07), and deliver the missing ones.

Yesterday I was quite surprised finding the USCF magazine #4 (April 2016) in a famous post box (yeah, Aurora was the last town where a home post delivery was canceled and moved to boxes.) Usually it came one week later. Now it was before the month started.
    When it was later than 3 weeks, after a kind notice the office sent once more a new one.

Can I expect the same from the CFC?

Re: [grumble] CFC newsletter timing

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Seeing how many long sentences the CFC president dedicates to the OYCC thread, I wonder why he did not spend the same amount of energy on the CFC newsletter that it would match numbering with a date (the latest newsletter received on March 2, 2016 was named as 2015.07), and deliver the missing ones.

Yesterday I was quite surprised finding the USCF magazine #4 (April 2016) in a famous post box (yeah, Aurora was the last town where a home post delivery was canceled and moved to boxes.) Usually it came one week later. Now it was before the month started.
    When it was later than 3 weeks, after a kind notice the office sent once more a new one.

Do you think the USCF pays a professional salary to the editor? That would help. Before you suggest that the current editor should do better, find someone else who will do it for a pittance. I would bet John would give it up in a minute (is it still John?).

VOLUNTEERs anyone?

I thought so!

It should be every 2 months at best and we should catch the dates by a multi-numbered issue or issues.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      Do you think the USCF pays a professional salary to the editor?
      I think it's not my business how the organization handles its finances. I pay my dues on time and I expect what the organization promises to their members.

http://chess.ca/membership-rates#Benefits
      "Other benefits of membership include:
      A national CFC chess rating, and a subscription to the monthly Canadian Chess News, an electronic newsletter,"

Comment

I personally do not read Canadian Chess News, which has value only as a historical record. I have enough trouble keeping up with the news, without bothering about events held several months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

You should not voice out your complaint through Chesstalk as it will not end in the desired result. Please voice through the " Official channel ". Is there an official channel ?

The guy I know in the CFC, Bob Gillanders is the one who listen and did what it needs to be done ( if it is within him ). He took a lot of his own initiative to get things done and make things better. If CFC has more people like him and who is willing to listen to constructive criticism, CFC will improve and become much better.

A friend of mine just wrote to me and make a comparison CFC to USCF. Well, I said if CFC is willing to listen and make necessary changes, that will be a step forward. I just wish things can get much better for CFC from the view point of a Chess player / member and also as a Parent. Others may not agree with me though....
          Last edited by Gary Hua; Wednesday, 30th March, 2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            I personally do not read Canadian Chess News, which has value only as a historical record. I have enough trouble keeping up with the news, without bothering about events held several months ago.
            I doubt any will be interested to read old news. They are good materials and analysis ( no doubt about that ) but the point is they are " OLD NEWS ". I don't read them anymore too. 1-3 months late is still ok but almost a year news !!!. Thanks but no thanks

Comment

In what format is the CFC mag?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                In what format is the CFC mag?
                Portable document format: xxxx.pdf
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I have a few comments:

Yes, John Upper is still the newsletter editor.

I received an email complaint about this lateness issue just yesterday. I will get around to answering it tomorrow and pass it along as feedback for John.

I have encouraged John to catch up on the issues. The issues are now coming more or less on a monthly basis, but catching up, well, don’t hold your breathe.

To be fair to John, the quality of the newsletter is fantastic. So maybe we take that into account?
                  Anyway, I am not John’s boss, just a colleague and friend.

If you don’t read the newsletter, well……..do you have a right to complain?

A lot of members are still not getting the newsletter because the database is still missing lots of email addresses. Send me your email if this is you.

Comment

I think John does a fantastic job!

I also think we should get real. Producing this quality every month is difficult to say the least.

In the shoes of the CFC, I would revisit the contract.

At the end of the day, it is important to deliver what you promise....always better to promise less and deliver more :)

Larry

Comment

I don't think there is much historical value to the newsletter. There was a 5 way tie for \first in the \u1600 at the Ontario open 2015. That did not even make the newsletter although every other section did make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        If you don’t read the newsletter, well……..do you have a right to complain?
                        Absolutely yes. The CFC promises members a service; CCN is so much out of date it is of historical interest only . When CCN arrives, I search for my name, and my city. If I find neither, I don't bother looking at the rest of the publication. Why would I be interested in events that occured several months ago.

If CCN was timely, I might be interested in glancing thru it. Maybe the CFC should rename the publication Canadian Chess Olds.

Comment

Absolutely yes. The CFC promises members a service; CCN is so much out of date it is of historical interest only . When CCN arrives, I search for my name, and my city. If I find neither, I don't bother looking at the rest of the publication. Why would I be interested in events that occured several months ago.

If CCN was timely, I might be interested in glancing thru it. Maybe the CFC should rename the publication Canadian Chess Olds.
                          I share John's concerns about timeliness. It does change the nature of it. Timely news however, can be obtained from the plethora of chess websites. But the problem there is that many have insufficient time in their busy non-chess lives, to do the weekly searching.....they may hope that the webzine will give them a current one-stop shop.

I actually consider the webzine a chess study document, not a "news" newsletter........the games seem well-annotated, and so if someone is a heavy chess studier, then I suppose it is nice to go over games/multiple annotations that are more recent, and generally Canadian.

Bob A

Comment

Why can't the magazine just report Cdn News. Local.regional. National . I can read about the Candidates anywhere. We used to have organizers post about local tournaments
                            but when the Magazine did not think them important enough to post we lost that local input. Bring back local and Cdn stuff and you might get people reading it they may even stay members of the CFC.

I have a challenge for all organizers and TD's .

Send all your local stuff to John UPPER at the CFC and John can post that before he posts stuff we can find in other places.
                            Make the Magazine truly Canadian. Who cares if the magazine is 84 pages. 30-40 pages is more than enough if its all local stuff from ALL the provinces and territories.
                            At least post it in my next issue not 3 months later. have a deadline for submissions to make next issue.
                            Last edited by John Brown; Thursday, 31st March, 2016, 06:51 AM. Reason: additions,spelling

Comment

Working...
                            X