CFC Annual Member Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Annual Member Stats

I guess I didn't do a very good job explaining myself.

At the time I was living in the Interior of BC. We had a small but regular group attend local interior tournaments. When the fee was increased, the locals that played 1-2 tournaments disappeared. The attendance of these tournaments dropped to approximately half. It wasn't long until the tournament director decided that enough was enough with such poor turnouts. The increase destroyed the chess scene in the interior. Now because there was no tournaments, those people who had a membership let their CFC membership lapse. In larger centers, such as Toronto, this wouldn't be noticed, but in the smaller locations, this devastated the CFC presence. Many of those people moved on to playing chess in other venues, such as online or just playing at local clubs.

Comment

create your own success even if it is only one player at a time

Real chess is chess under tournament conditions, OTB, with slower time controls. For adults in Canada that is the CFC. I've never seen any other Canadian sport whose participants complain so much about the modest fees they are expected to pay as with competitive chess. The only thing more annoying than that is the tiresome attempts to infect chess with unrelated political issues, cold war fantasies, and the like. Perhaps a generation just needs to die off for all that nonsense to end.

I've started my own club, practically with my bare hands (lol), and brought along a few tournament players one at a time to nearby events. That's just how it is for Canadian chess in smaller rural centers.

Create your own success, even if it is only one player at a time.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        In addition to the regular members we have quite a few tournament members. Based on what I've seen in BC, perhaps 20% of our tournament players pay $20 to $40 each per year in TMs to play in CFC rated tournaments. These "members" are not included in the totals.
        Bob's table shows 2065 total members. My rating database shows we had 2493 different players participate in CFC rated events for the year ending 31 March 2016. This does not include foreign players.
        your number also includes junior players in all junior events (who neither are CFC members or pay TMs) so is not in anyway comparable to the membership numbers here.

Comment

Yes, exactly my point. There are a lot more players than there are members.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: create your own success even if it is only one player at a time

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            Real chess is chess under tournament conditions, OTB, with slower time controls.
            I have had people become upset with me because I said this same thing. There is nothing wrong with fun chess (that is chess under non-tournament conditions) but don't try to pass it off as real chess and don't be surprised when there is no progress when all you do is engage in fun chess.

For adults in Canada that is the CFC. I've never seen any other Canadian sport whose participants complain so much about the modest fees they are expected to pay as with competitive chess. The only thing more annoying than that is the tiresome attempts to infect chess with unrelated political issues, cold war fantasies, and the like. Perhaps a generation just needs to die off for all that nonsense to end.

I've started my own club, practically with my bare hands (lol), and brought along a few tournament players one at a time to nearby events. That's just how it is for Canadian chess in smaller rural centers.

Create your own success, even if it is only one player at a time.
            Well said.

Comment

This could be taken as an argument in favour of the tournament fee (and keeping it at a reasonable level); i.e. why deliberately close off a means of participation?
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

you have clearly forgotten graphs like this one (a few years out of date but whatever)

These numbers are larger than present mostly because most of the scholastic events are now active rated but still the current numbers include some number of scholastic events which is a category the CFC has decided memberships are not required. So, claiming the difference in active players and number of members is due to TMs is clearly wrong.

Comment

I don't think I've clearly forgotten. I think you are clearly missing the big picture.

The difference between players and members is due to more than one factor. Junior non-member tournaments are one factor. Tournament memberships are another factor.
                  I simply want to remind people that the numbers are not as grim as they look.
                  And Peter, yes I agree that if TMs allow us to keep some players involved, it's great.
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    The member stats for May 1, 2016 are now available here
                    http://www.chess.ca/membership-stats

Good news. We are thru the 2000 barrier!

ps. If you get the 2015 stats, try refreshing your browser.
                    CFC Membership continues to climb.

May 1, 2016 - 2065
                    June 1, 2016 - 2078

Comment

Working...
                    X