Canadian Seniors Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Seniors Championship

I noticed that this event which is usually held in Kitchener will be held in Vancouver this year: http://wordpress.cvining.com/canadian-senior-2016/

It looks like they have closed entries at 50 participants...which they have reached...congrats!

Obviously the Senior market is growing as the older folks (when I was a kid I thought 40 was old..hmm maybe it still is :) don`t want to leave this planet right away :)

I went to the CFC site but the info does not seem to be up to-date (I stand to be corrected).

I did find this with regards to last year: http://www.chessfest.ca/cansenior.html

Can someone update me.

Larry

2016 Canadian Seniors Championship

Basic info on 2016 Canadian Sr

link to pre-registrants

There are two sections this year: "50 or better" and "65 or better".

As Larry noted in his [edited?] post, Registration was closed at 50 entrants (no more room, I think). Congrats are in order for the organizers.

Some Honourable Chess Players: "Hear, hear!"
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 22nd June, 2016, 04:03 PM. Reason: yup
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: 2016 Canadian Seniors Championship

Yes, we are elated with the response. Filled the playing hall to capacity 2 weeks before the tournament.
      Biggest Canadian Senior Championship ever by a mile. Good to see 3 players each from Ontario, Alberta and the U.S.A.
      Also nice to have two IMs (Cummings and Piasetski).
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: Canadian Seniors Championship

The link is conveniently located on the front page of the CFC site in the UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS section.

Comment

2016 Canadian Seniors Championship results

A brilliant event. The results are here: http://wordpress.cvining.com/wp-cont...ngs-Sheet1.pdf

In brief:

IM David Cummings was the clear winner in the "junior" section (50 plus; the amusing expression is Paul Leblanc's);

IM Leon Piasetski was the clear winner in the 65 plus section;

Duncan Haines won the 50 plus U1800 trophy; and

Victoria Jung-Doknjas won the women's title.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 27th June, 2016, 03:12 PM. Reason: typos and such

Comment

Re: 2016 Canadian Seniors Championship results

Congratulations to IM David Cummings and IM Leon Piasetski for dominating their sections! (I feel even better about my 2014 performance noting this years score.)

Comment

a few post event comments

Supplemental: the event was very well organized. Thanks to the many sponsors (including plenty of the players) as well. It's the first tourney I can remember with fresh fruit, granola bars, Belgian chocolates, as well as the usual coffee, tea, etc. for the players. All the players received a nice photographic mememto and (for $20) some also got the "deluxe" package with individual photos, etc. There were plenty of prizes - including best upset prize in every round. The hotel had a quiet lobby with plenty of space for skittles and analysis. Very collegial. Ably directed by Joe Roback, NA.

The event took place in Surrey, B.C., at the Comfort Inn overlooking the valley of the Serpentine River. On the clear days, driving back and forth to the site, the massive Koma Kulshan or White Sentinel/White Mountain [Mount Baker] could be seen, towering in the distance, dominating the sky, like a Rook guarding the back rank. Very picturesque.
              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 27th June, 2016, 03:45 PM. Reason: more detail, natch!

Comment

Re: a few post event comments

Now thats a report I like reading Nigel. Congratulations to the organizers for an awesomely planned event. (they never get enough credit)

Comment

Working...
                X