Chess Rating Statistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Rating Statistic

I wondered if one of our bean counters (Paul??) might help me with a statistic I'm interested in:

Of all current (so not a longitudinal stat; just a one-off snapshot of today...or whenever it may last have been done) CFC members (regardless of type), what percentage are Class B and Under?

I'm afraid I don't know of any easy way to find this out. I did google:

Canadian - Chess - Ratings - CFC Membership - Percentage Class B & Under

But the only hits were the CFC website and general sites on FIDE and rating system explanation.

Thanks.

Bob

Re: Chess Rating Statistic

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I wondered if one of our bean counters (Paul??) might help me with a statistic I'm interested in:

Of all current (so not a longitudinal stat; just a one-off snapshot of today...or whenever it may last have been done) CFC members (regardless of type), what percentage are Class B and Under?

I'm afraid I don't know of any easy way to find this out. I did google:

Canadian - Chess - Ratings - CFC Membership - Percentage Class B & Under

But the only hits were the CFC website and general sites on FIDE and rating system explanation.

Thanks.

Bob
    You could download the tdlist.txt file and shove it into Excel and do some analysis with that...
    (the tdlist.txt file is not prominently advertised on the chess.ca website - there is an unnamed reference to it
    on this page: http://chess.ca/td-resources-cfc-bid-forms ...

Rating List
    Tournament directors can download a complete rating list of all members both current and past. This is a delimited text file so it can be imported to any database, spreadsheet or word processor you want. The file contains CFC Numbers, Names, Expiry Dates, Ratings (both active and regular) and Rating Indicators.
    that link leads to the file, here: http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/tdlist.txt - best to right click that link and then 'save as'
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      You could download the tdlist.txt file and shove it into Excel and do some analysis with that...
      (the tdlist.txt file is not prominently advertised on the chess.ca website - there is an unnamed reference to it

that link leads to the file, here: http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/tdlist.txt - best to right click that link and then 'save as'
      Hi Kerry:

Thanks.......but you are dealing with an almost techie Neanderthal. For me to do this, I'd have to say it will be a long project. I have not used Excel for at least 100 years.

I'm hoping someone may be positioned already to do this stat quickly. I am an optimist! :D

Bob

P.S. I'm hoping that I am not an anomaly in wanting to know this......since I believe at least 60% of us are below 1800 (Class B and under) - my intuitive guess - other class players may be interested?
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 23rd June, 2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Hi Kerry:

I took a quick stab at that when I saw Bob's message. In theory it shouldn't be too hard (import it into Excel, sort by expiry date, remove the expired members, then sort by rating, etc.). Unfortunately the list isn't formatted as cleanly as it should be and it imports poorly into Excel, requiring a bit of hands-on cleanup before you can really use it. When I have a bit more time I'll take another stab at it, assuming somebody else doesn't do it first.

Steve

P.S. There is a link to it on the main CFC website under the Ratings menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
          Hi Kerry:

I took a quick stab at that when I saw Bob's message. In theory it shouldn't be too hard (import it into Excel, sort by expiry date, remove the expired members, then sort by rating, etc.). Unfortunately the list isn't formatted as cleanly as it should be and it imports poorly into Excel, requiring a bit of hands-on cleanup before you can really use it. When I have a bit more time I'll take another stab at it, assuming somebody else doesn't do it first.

Steve

Hi Steve,

None of that surprises me (I did not try to import it into Excel recently, but I recall having a lot of tidying up to do in the past).
          I didn't see the link in the Ratings menu - thanks!
          At least it can be found (and it seems like the link is more or less permanent).

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Steve

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the initial try for me......as I say, I think likely this is a stat that class players might be interested in (For my purposes, I am considering B Class and Under as "class" players, though usually it includes the A Class - but I always have felt A class players were somewhat "good" players - that there is a difference between a B and A Class Player......that the B class player has not yet quite got it).

Maybe this is a stat that would be useful to the CFC? Who are its main membership?

I hope your second try will be successful, without, hopefully, requiring a wheelbarrow-load of time and effort.

Bob

P.S. Of course my position on A Class players......has nothing to do with......the fact that I hold a CFC Class A Certificate! :D

Comment

What is a Class B rating range?

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Steve

UGH! I see what you mean, Steve. The data is even more dirty than I thought. There are a LOT of errors in the file that cause Excel to mangle some rows...
                Oh well, I guess it is a start and maybe it is close enough for Bob's requirements, but I have some real work to do... :)

Comment

Hi Bob. I'm off to the Canadian Senior Championship in Surrey today.
                  I think Roger Patterson should be able to get you what you want from the rating database he uses to support me.
                  I'm travelling with him and will ask. You might have to wait until Monday.
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Class B and under are those who have 1799 and under.

Taking stats from the file mentioned in this thread, after deleting those with 0 rating (active players), deleting "FO" and "US" members/players:

Total count: 36647
                    Rating 2199 starts at 470
                    Rating 1999 starts at 1495
                    Rating 1799 starts at 3526 (36647-3526)/36647 ~ 90% are under Class A (or Class B and under)
                    Rating 1499 starts at 9151
                    Rating 1199 starts at 14745
                    Rating 399 starts at 33940

Membership expiry is not taken into account!!!

Comment

Only with those who had expiry >=2015 + Life (2099)

1 2708
                      8 2607
                      19 2501
                      47 2400
                      104 2300
                      197 2200
                      312 2100
                      465 2000
                      649 1900
                      866 1800 (3838-866)/3838 = 77% below Class A
                      1125 1700
                      1385 1600
                      1634 1501
                      1886 1400
                      2097 1300
                      2289 1200
                      2518 1100
                      2721 1000
                      2961 900
                      3193 800
                      3400 700
                      3567 600
                      3838 bottom

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        What is a Class B rating range?
                        Hi Egis:

1600 - 1799

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                          Hi Bob. I'm off to the Canadian Senior Championship in Surrey today.
                          I think Roger Patterson should be able to get you what you want from the rating database he uses to support me.
                          I'm travelling with him and will ask. You might have to wait until Monday.
                          Hi Paul:

In my life, "wait" there is not; all time stands still when retired you are! Tell Roger any forward increment of time is fine with me......they are all the same!

Bob A (Holding not only a CFC Class A Certificate, but a Yoda Life Understanding Philosophical Diploma)

Comment

Class B and under are those who have 1799 and under.

Taking stats from the file mentioned in this thread, after deleting those with 0 rating (active players), deleting "FO" and "US" members/players:

Total count: 36647
                            Rating 2199 starts at 470
                            Rating 1999 starts at 1495
                            Rating 1799 starts at 3526 (36647-3526)/36647 ~ 90% are under Class A (or Class B and under)
                            Rating 1499 starts at 9151
                            Rating 1199 starts at 14745
                            Rating 399 starts at 33940

Membership expiry is not taken into account!!!
                            Hi again Egis:

That is great - exactly what I was looking for, and more, since I can now do percentile ranges for the other Classes. Thanks for taking the time. I hope others are able to also make use of this stat now.

I am shocked though.....I would never have expected that only 10% of the CFC membership is 1800 & above. We are 90% patzers???!!!

Is this the focus of the CFC...the 90%??

Or is it the case that the CFC's mission is really to focus mainly on the elite players, supported by the 90%??

I'd still like to hear Roger Patterson's comments, since he has done so much work over the years on CFC stats generally. Will he agree with Egis' result?

Bob A (Still Shocked that I was likely at one time in the top 10% of CFC members, ratings-wise)

Comment

Only with those who had expiry >=2015 + Life (2099)

1 2708
                              8 2607
                              19 2501
                              47 2400
                              104 2300
                              197 2200
                              312 2100
                              465 2000
                              649 1900
                              866 1800 (3838-866)/3838 = 77% below Class A
                              1125 1700
                              1385 1600
                              1634 1501
                              1886 1400
                              2097 1300
                              2289 1200
                              2518 1100
                              2721 1000
                              2961 900
                              3193 800
                              3400 700
                              3567 600
                              3838 bottom
                              Hi Egis:

Thanks again......I've made note of these stats as well.

I am still pretty surprised that on these criteria, still over 75% of CFC Members are "patzers".

I really did think my intuitive guess of around 60% patzers was likely close. But there are many more like me than I realized....not sure how good that is for any of us B Class & Unders.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X