Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Round 1 ever start on time?

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Another problem is players who pre-register without paying, and then don't show up for the first round - giving out unnecessary full points.

And then there are memberships - it seems at Montreal events there are always people who haven't paid their memberships - even with stern warnings (e.g. they won't be paired the next round, but I've never seen that happen). All membership problems should be settled before the first round with the player not getting paired unless his membership is up to date (e.g.) 30 or 60 minutes before round 1 (allow the option of a full/partial refund). Such players should be notified as far in advance as possible that their entry is "incomplete".
    I personally do not like emailed entries for a pre-registered list where you do not pay up front. This happened in the last Niagara falls Open we had 48 pre-registered but only 32 finally played.
    We will be changing that format in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
      I personally do not like emailed entries for a pre-registered list where you do not pay up front. This happened in the last Niagara falls Open we had 48 pre-registered but only 32 finally played.
      We will be changing that format in 2017.
      Will these people be allowed into future events? Could publish a blacklist of no-shows. Could try a fine, but then they may never enter again. I do not like to turn away players, wanting to maximize numbers and prize fund. I didn't like the Canadian Open in Toronto not accepting out-of-town late comers. I like the idea of giving them a zero bye in round 1.

Comment

Victoria Chess runs the Grand Pacific Open, the BC Open and several smaller events. We do not accept pre-registration without payment; it leads to confusion. We do not require pre-registered players to "check in". The pre-registered list is posted near the registration desk to reassure people that we have received their entry.
        90% of our early entries come in by PayPal and the rest by cash or cheque. We accept entries on site but I must say this is where the most problems occur due to the compressed time frame.
        As Roger posted earlier, our events always start on time and the reason is that we register people and get them to update their memberships before they show up for Round One.
        Another thing I'd like to add: organizers, as opposed to TD's like to play in their tournaments; having to chase people around to collect membership fees etc. is a huge distraction when trying to focus on chess.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
          Will these people be allowed into future events? Could publish a blacklist of no-shows. Could try a fine, but then they may never enter again. I do not like to turn away players, wanting to maximize numbers and prize fund. I didn't like the Canadian Open in Toronto not accepting out-of-town late comers. I like the idea of giving them a zero bye in round 1.
          Hi Erik;
          You'll have to wait till we post the flyer on the CFC website. But we will not be taking email pre registrations for Rd 1 pairings next year that is about all I can tell you.
          Our tournament will be "you pay ahead of time you play Round 1" .

Comment

Hi Brian,

Starting round 1 on time, hard to do!
            A new idea I am considering implementing at my next tournament,
            pay your entry fee after round 1 starts!!!!

I'll give everyone a chance to absorb and criticize, then I'll explain how it works.

Comment

The time that registration has to close should vary depending on the size of a tournament AND should be well publicized.

If you have 50 players, probably 45 minutes is sufficient.

I like allowing players to pre-register even without paying and simply remove them at the close of registration, if they haven't paid.

Allow discounts to players who pre-register and an even bigger one to those who pre-register with payment.

Not everybody has paypal, but e-transfer is really easy, too and provides for a "receipt" of sorts.

Comment

Some years ago, our community had problems with late-comers at musical and theatrical shows....always the same people of course, with no apparent concern about their behaviour. Then overnight, someone decided enough was enough, started the shows spot on time, and left the late-comers stewing in the hall-way until a "suitable break" in the action! I think it cured the problem within a show or two.

I'm not sure how relevant this is, as I suspect our problem people were of a different "ilk" to the chess problem people, or how strongly organizers really want to address the problem, but it's an easy place to start. Just make sure the cut-off is clearly stated in the rules.
                Fred Harvey

Comment

Working...
                X