Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Election NEWS - Post Discussion Here

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    CFC is not interested in doing anything to increase membership. They just want current members to bleed so they can pay the PUGI Funds that cannot be touched. I got no support from CFC on this venture.
    Hi John. I'm not sure how many people will read this post, and of course I'm not going to try and comment on your opinion of the CFC, however I will clarify the Pugi Fund.

The Pugi Fund was started maybe 40 years ago by former President Kalev Pugi with a sizable donation. Interest is used every year to give relatively small grants to Junior players to attend significant International events. Additional funding to the Fund only comes by donation, NEVER from the CFC itself. There is a 3 person committee that oversees the grants, elected every year at the AGM. The actual Fund is being "cared for" by the Chess Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      As I'm paying, I would like to be not robbed halve of the magazine issues. Thus, would be good to hear a plan how that will be addressed by former/future execs.
      I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. Can you elaborate ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. Can you elaborate ?
        Hopefully you can do math: 2015.10 is received on 2016.07.09.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Hopefully you can do math: 2015.10 is received on 2016.07.09.
          It wasn't clear from your post, what your issue was. Yes, we can all agree that the news in each magazine issue is dated. I will raise that with the rest of the Executive.

Comment

It wasn't clear from your post, what your issue was. Yes, we can all agree that the news in each magazine issue is dated. I will raise that with the rest of the Executive.
            Fred (who I believe is a volunteer), I tip my hat to you for being polite in the face of impoliteness.

Comment

Please use this thread to post any discussion you may have concerning the CFC elections.

Note: As the elections are held on the CFC Forum some candidates may choose to make comments or answer questions there. But feel free to copy posts from there into this thread.

Comment

Web Officer? Committee?

I'll also bring forward the idea of a Web Officer.
                There's been no further discussion here, or elsewhere, about this. Does this relate to moderation/management of the Discussion Board, the CFC site itself, other duties, ... what? My thinking is that this sounds like a lot of work ... that might be better served by several volunteers. Of course, maybe no one has stepped forward so far. So, ...

I'd be willing to volunteer for something like this ... but not without some more clarity about the responsibilities, etc. An ever-expanding list of duties does not appeal to me. Maybe a few people could lighten the load here, e.g., I see the following names - probably out of date - listed as

CFC Disc. Board Mods: Bob Gillanders, Michael von Keitz, Michael Zaghi, Rob Clark,

with Admins: Christopher Mallon, Lyle Craver, and Vlad Drkulec.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Web Officer? Committee?

At the moment we could use volunteers who update the website and moderate the forums (mostly me lately). We also have people who post things (mostly pictures) to facebook (Victoria Doknjas, John Upper, Vlad Drkulec, Liza Orlova). We also need admins for the CFC Premium Chess webserver which is going nowhere fast if we can't get a few more people involved. This is supposed to be the platform to deliver chess in the schools programming to Canada. I simply couldn't do one more thing while the tournaments (CYCC, CO and NAYCC) were in full swing though there are just under three weeks before NAYCC will also be in the books.

Comment

At the moment we have a problem communicating to our members. The communications through the website, forum and email are not firing on all cylinders. Using facebook sometimes can fill in the gaps but we are desperately in need of some help in all areas. Tell us what you are willing to do and we can define a role for you.

Comment

CFC Discussion

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      At the moment we have a problem communicating to our members. The communications through the website, forum and email are not firing on all cylinders. Using facebook sometimes can fill in the gaps but we are desperately in need of some help in all areas. Tell us what you are willing to do and we can define a role for you.
                      OK, well updating the website, maybe a little moderation and posting stuff I can do. I think I'd rather do something like that instead of working on the Premium Chess thing.

Sidebar: There is a current glitch which, AFAIK, still isn't resolved. I get e-mails from the CFC that are spam (or worse) around the same time that the Cdn Chess News arrives (which is confusing). I can't be the only one getting these.

Comment

Re: CFC Discussion

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                        OK, well updating the website, maybe a little moderation and posting stuff I can do. I think I'd rather do something like that instead of working on the Premium Chess thing.

Sidebar: There is a current glitch which, AFAIK, still isn't resolved. I get e-mails from the CFC that are spam (or worse) around the same time that the Cdn Chess News arrives (which is confusing). I can't be the only one getting these.
                        I think we could use a Web Officer, whose main volunteer duties would be assisting the ExD in keeping the web site updated. A rudimentary knowledge (beginner's level) of HTML would be required. Bob would feed them information to keep updated - new features could be added as this person became more experienced. I can see this being a Special Officer (ie Class A Voting Member)

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                          I think Bob sends out several different mailings of the newsletters even using different e-mail addresses to send from. I don't get the spam you do. You should let Bob know which e-mail account it's coming from and we can see if there is anyone else in that same mailout.

Comment

I think Bob sends out several different mailings of the newsletters even using different e-mail addresses to send from. I don't get the spam you do. You should let Bob know which e-mail account it's coming from and we can see if there is anyone else in that same mailout.
                            OK, next time I will have a closer look. I usually delete them pretty quickly.

Comment

Nigel. Bob is going to take you up on your offer and will be in touch with you very shortly (if he hasn't been already). I think we give this a chance to see what it develops into, and possibly make it an Officer position for 2017/18 depending on how much is offloaded from the ExD.

Comment

Working...
                              X