Zoltan Sarosy Will Be 110 Years Old On August 23...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoltan Sarosy Will Be 110 Years Old On August 23...

He told me today that CBC had interviewed him.

If anyone sees/hears it somewhere, please let me know.

Mayor Tory is expected to attend his "party" on the 25th at The Grenadier.

Thanks!

Re: Zoltan Sarosy Will Be 110 Years Old On August 23...

That would make Zoltan Canada's oldest male. Congratulations Zoltan! I hope everything goes well.

Comment

'The Globe And Mail' features Zoltan today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle31391585/

Comment

Wonderful that Mr. Sarosy is still mentally sharp. Please give him my best and wish him a happy birthday on the 23rd!

Comment

Zoltan Sarosy Will Be 110 Years Old On August 23...

August 24, 2016

The CTV late news had shorter footage of the earlier story:

The man, who just might be the oldest person in Canada, lives in High Park. Today was his birthday.

A cake and Zoltan Sarosy’s opening chess move marking the beginning of a milestone year; but then again, when you are 110, every birthday is a milestone.

The secret of a long life? The answer may live in his love of chess. He learned to play chess at the age of 10 back in Budapest, Hungary. In 1943 Zoltan was awarded the title of chess master.

When the Internet arrived he took his game online at the age of 95.

ZS - “I bought a computer and took two lessons and started to play.”

And on this day, Zoltan was awarded another title, Canada’s Oldest Man. Birthday greetings arrived from the Mayor, the Premier and the Prime Minister.

But his family says what really drives Zoltan is simpler:

Peter Mello (Zoltan’s grandson): For him, waking up every morning and just not wanting the day to end.

As to the secret for a long life? He is keeping that close to his chest:

ZS – “I’m still working on the formula. As soon as I have it I will patent it and then you will have it.”
          ______

The celebration appeared to take place in a dining room at the residence, which held roughly three-dozen people. The tables had navy blue and white table cloths. There were clusters of blue balloons about the room.

Zoltan was in a wheelchair. His voice, though soft, was audible. The cake, wheeled in, was a Black Forest cake with black and white icing. It had a full-size chessboard, properly set up. Zoltan played 1.c4 as his opening move. The cake was big enough so that each person could get one square of the board.

Throughout the story, they showed pictures of Zoltan as a young man and some of his awards. A wooden plaque had this inscribed on the plate:

CCCA Canadian Correspondence Chess Champion
          Zoltan L. Sarosy
          1967 K23
          1972 K28 Co-winner
          1981 K 37

I don’t doubt that there will be a documentary movie about his life.

Reposted on September 23, 2016

Comment

Working...
          X