This SPAM address just arrived in my mail-box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This SPAM address just arrived in my mail-box...

CFC Newsletter <m.gagne@rogers.com>

SPAM here as well

Yeah, I got that as well. I will post an image for the CFC to see. I've been getting them for a while ... every time JUST BEFORE Canadian Chess News arrives, I get this spam that looks like it could be CCN. But it's not.

It looks like all the names beginning with "N" (including mine) got this particular e mail.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 8th August, 2016, 06:26 PM.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: SPAM here as well

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      Yeah, I got that as well. I will post an image for the CFC to see. I've been getting them for a while ... every time JUST BEFORE Canadian Chess News arrives, I get this spam that looks like it could be CCN. But it's not.

It looks like all the names beginning with "N" (including mine) got this particular e mail.
      I don't get the CFC newsletter nor any emails from them anymore (no longer a member) BUT if the CFC sends emails with all the addressees in the clear in the TO: or CC: headers (much better to send them in BCC:) -- this creates a situation where anyone who received such an email and might be infected with some spamware could then be the vector where such spam is sent out to large distribution lists the spamware finds in the user's email...

I suggest the CFC send such bulk emails with all the addressees in the BCC field or, even better, use a proper emailing service like Mailchimp etc. to manage the distribution. If I recall correctly, recently Bob Gillanders (I think) mentioned that they can only send 500 a day or some such silly ISP-imposed constraint... even more reason to use a real distribution facility.

Any of the former recipients of emails with huge distribution lists could be the culprit - of course the sending info is usually heavily disguised to avoid tracking back to the source of the infection...

I find GMAIL is very good at spam detection - I get relatively little spam or bulk mail anymore and the odd one that I do get is almost always flagged by gmail. Other mail services are not quite as on the ball it seems.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

good advice: use BCC not CC

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I suggest the CFC send such bulk emails with all the addressees in the BCC field or, even better, use a proper emailing service like Mailchimp etc. to manage the distribution.
        Yeah, this is a no brainer ... although it surprises me how often people who should know better get this wrong.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: SPAM here as well

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          I suggest the CFC send such bulk emails with all the addressees in the BCC field
          The last several emails were using BCC. (can not check older emails now)

Comment

Working...
          X