What is the dollar value of some chess websites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the dollar value of some chess websites?

Neil Frarey sent me a link to a website that tries to evaluate the value of websites. The site is www.siteprice.org. I assume these are in U.S. dollars.

chesstalk.com (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
    estimated website price is
    $ 9,723

echecs.org (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
    $ 7,018

chess.ca
    $ 3,565

fqechecs.qc.ca
    $ 2,431

chess-math.org (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
    $ 5,992

uschess.org
    $ 89,003

fide.com
    $ 229,102

chess.bc.ca
    $ 313

strategygames.ca (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
    $ 12,963

Larry

Re: What is the dollar value of some chess websites?

This is pretty cool Larry. Relative values seem reasonable.

Maritime ChessCentre (mcc.cdevastation.com)
    $164

Comment

I think they take the number of hits on a site and convert it to a $ value. Depending on the accuracy of the hit counter these numbers could vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Neil Frarey sent me a link to a website that tries to evaluate the value of websites. The site is www.siteprice.org. I assume these are in U.S. dollars.

chesstalk.com (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
        $ 9,723

echecs.org (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
        $ 7,018

chess.ca
        $ 3,565

fqechecs.qc.ca
        $ 2,431

chess-math.org (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
        $ 5,992

uschess.org
        $ 89,003

fide.com
        $ 229,102

chess.bc.ca
        $ 313

strategygames.ca (belongs to Chess`n Math...www.chess-math.org)
        $ 12,963

Larry

I saw in another thread Kerry Liles suggested making an archive of all the current threads before the sale.

A potential buyer might demand that no such archive be existing, i.e. that they are buying not just the domain name, but ownership of its entire historical data. If the buyer were Canadian and cared about Canadian chess, I would expect that to be the case. That same buyer might (after the purchase) permanently delete all non-chess-related threads and posts from the past.

On the other hand, someone from anywhere in the world could want to buy the name and use it for a global chess discussion board (in many languages) and might not care about the past use of the domain and whether an archive is kept or not.

So with respect to Kerry's suggestion, the question to you, Larry, is: are you willing to sell not just the domain name, but ownership of all its current data? To avoid regrets / lawsuits, you should address your right to keep the current data (and to use or sell the data at some future time) in the terms of the sale.

Interesting note: the value of chessvariants.com, the site that Kevin Pacey refers to in the Heterodox Chess thread, is estimated to be worth about $10,200, slightly more than chesstalk.com.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          the question to you, Larry, is: are you willing to sell not just the domain name, but ownership of all its current data?
          Paul, I think Larry was clear that he was only selling the domain name.
          Surely, the content is priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Only some of the content is priceless... some of it is worth exactly zero... ;)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Let's say 10 years from now someone is writing a book chronicling how the world viewed climate change in the first 15 years of this century, and somehow they knew about the infamous chesstalk thread and wanted to use material from it in the book. And at that future time, ChessTalk is still what it is right now, the buyer just kept the site going as it was.

Who do they buy the rights to that data from (if anyone)? The data was gathered when Larry owned ChessTalk. But it's still available on the site owned by someone else. Does either party actually own the rights to republish those posts?

I'm not sure if there is a law already in place for this... that is, sale of an existing forum domain name, where nothing is specified in the sale documents about who owns the data. If anyone has insight into that, please chime in.

I'm just suggesting to Larry that if he wants to own the data up until the date of the sale, make sure it's documented.

Another possible scenario, maybe more likely, is that 5 years from now ChessTalk is something else entirely and no trace of the current forum postings exist on that site, and Larry suddenly wants to resurrect ChessTalk but under a different domain name. If he launches the new forum and includes this data, the owner of ChessTalk may take Larry to court to make Larry pay to use the data that the buyer thought was included in the purchase of ChessTalk.
              Last edited by Paul Bonham; Friday, 12th August, 2016, 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Larry has posted the "value" of the website on another thread. The domain name itself would only be worth a fraction of this amount.

Comment

I heard a lot of people would like that chesstalk has not existed. They have now a good chance to make dreams come true LOL

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Neil Frarey sent me a link to a website that tries to evaluate the value of websites.
                  You really need to take that with a pound and a little bit of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Only some of the content is priceless... some of it is worth exactly zero... ;)
                    Much of it is worth less than zero if the buyer picks up the liability associated with past content in the archive. In Canada people have two years after they learn of the content to sue for defamation. A new buyer will surely scrub the archive.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      You really need to take that with a pound and a little bit of salt.
                      If it says so on the internet it must be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                        Who do they buy the rights to that data from (if anyone)? The data was gathered when Larry owned ChessTalk. But it's still available on the site owned by someone else. Does either party actually own the rights to republish those posts?
                        I would like to point out two things.

1) Let's compare the (sadly) standard Terms of Use of modern social media sites with the Forum Rules each of us agreed to abide by when registering for ChessTalk.

Facebook: "you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License)"

ChessTalk, full text of Rules: "Forum Rules
                        Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Complete Registration' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.
                        "

The comparison makes it clear that ChessTalk members retain full rights to their contributions and do not agree to have them republished in any shape or form.

2) Quebec laws regarding protection of private information are the most stringent in Canada. According to them, such data as "where you live" (part of ChessTalk user profile), "your favourite activities and life habits" (e.g., info you post about the chess tournaments you played in), "your image (photos or videos)" etc. are considered your personal information. You have a right to limit public access to it. Anyone who wants to publish it is required to obtain your permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
                          I would like to point out two things.

1) Let's compare the (sadly) standard Terms of Use of modern social media sites with the Forum Rules each of us agreed to abide by when registering for ChessTalk.

Facebook: "you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License)"

ChessTalk, full text of Rules: "Forum Rules
                          Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Complete Registration' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.
                          "

The comparison makes it clear that ChessTalk members retain full rights to their contributions and do not agree to have them republished in any shape or form.

2) Quebec laws regarding protection of private information are the most stringent in Canada. According to them, such data as "where you live" (part of ChessTalk user profile), "your favourite activities and life habits" (e.g., info you post about the chess tournaments you played in), "your image (photos or videos)" etc. are considered your personal information. You have a right to limit public access to it. Anyone who wants to publish it is required to obtain your permission.

I am of course not a lawyer, but I think your post has cleared up a few things. First of all, the clause that reads:

"The owners of ChessTalk / Parlons Échecs reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason."

This appears to state without ambiguity that the owners of ChessTalk, WHOMEVER THAT MAY BE, owns the rights to all posted data. The key word in that clause is (imo) the word "edit". If the owner(s) of ChessTalk can edit your post, it is no longer your post. You may write a post that says "I think Donald Trump is an idiot" and the ChessTalk owner(s) could literally edit that to say "I think Donald Trump is a genius".

Of course, that is a hypothetical case, and we all like to think that that kind of editing would never occur. But according to the clause, that type of editing MAY occur.

Therefore the owner(s) of ChessTalk may do what they like with the data. You as the OP could never even claim it is your post. The owner(s) could come back and say, "No, we edited that." They don't even have to provide proof of such editing, because the clause doesn't say that edits must be documented. Yes, edits by moderators or anyone at ChessTalk usually ARE documented, but there's no obligation for ChessTalk owner(s) to do that.

Therefore if Larry wishes to sell the domain but not give the new owner(s) rights to publishing the data up until the date of the sale, he may have to make that explicit in the terms of the sale, signed off by the buyer(s). The original posters would have no say in this, according to that clause.

The one ambiguous word in that clause is the word "move". In any legal proceedings, lawyers could argue that "move" includes the act of republishing the data on another site. The word "move" also could imply rights to transfer ownership of the data. But I could also see other lawyers arguing against both of those points. Therefore again, I would recommend the terms of the sale be very explicit about publishing rights.

The missing word in the clause is the word "exclusive". Does that mean anyone may republish the postings? That is the second point....

And on that point, I don't think original posters nor owner(s) of ChessTalk have any rights regarding prevention of republishing the data they post on ChessTalk. I am basing this on the above, but also on this: it is known to all posters that ChessTalk permits anyone, including guests, to view the posts. Since there are no restrictions, the OP cannot suddenly decide that (s)he is going to apply some new restrictions.... (to a post that may not even be what they originally posted).

Again, this would seem to indicate that if Larry wants exclusive rights to publish the data up until the date of the sale, he may only prevent the new owner(s) from republishing it if that is explicitly included in terms of the sale. Similarly, the new owner(s) would have to put in terms preventing Larry from republishing the data, if that is what THEY want.

Aside from that, it would appear that anyone else may republish the data without restriction. Larry could have prevented that by replacing the words "reserve the right" with "reserve exclusive rights" (and should have explicitly included the word "republish" as well, but again, "move" may suffice in a court of law). But he also would have needed to advise all guests to and members of ChessTalk that copying of posts is strictly prohibited.

Vadim, what you wrote about users' private information ON THEIR PROFILE may apply, depending on whether the clause mentioned above clashes with Quebec law.... but the ChessTalk clause does spell out it applies to "any content item" which would include profile information. But because that perhaps could be seen as private information, Quebec law may supersede the clause in that instance.

"The old "Void where prohibited by law" trick..... second time this week!" -- Maxwell Smart

"Words are important!" -- Big Bird

"It all depends on what the meaning of 'is' is." -- Bill Clinton
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

All of the wanna be lawyer talk aside, I am pretty sure Larry was talking about selling the *domain name*
                            and NOT the contents of the site. Larry can jump in and correct my impression if that is wrong...

My initial reaction was an idea to preserve the threads as historical archive, not necessarily
                            to make them available on an ongoing basis for additional back and forth.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

What is the dollar value of some chess websites?

August 14, 2016

Is any one else but me worried that, as early as a month from now, ChessTalk could go off-line forever?

Am I reading Larry’s statements wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X