What is the dollar value of some chess websites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the dollar value of some chess websites?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    All of the wanna be lawyer talk aside, I am pretty sure Larry was talking about selling the *domain name*
    and NOT the contents of the site. Larry can jump in and correct my impression if that is wrong...

My initial reaction was an idea to preserve the threads as historical archive, not necessarily
    to make them available on an ongoing basis for additional back and forth.

If you are referring to me, Kerry, it's not a case of wanting to be a lawyer. But I do own and operate a private business (known in the U.S. as a Limited Liability Company) and so I do strive to keep tabs on these kinds of things in general. I'm not running a forum, so I don't know exact legalities about the data on forums in general, but everything I've seen indicates that rights are determined by a forum's Terms of Service which anyone wanting to post must agree to.

The clause that Vadim posted made it very clear that owner(s) of "ChessTalk / Parlons Echecs" have all rights to the data but not exclusively.

That does raise one question: what exactly is "ChessTalk / Parlons Echecs"? Is it the domain name chesstalk.com ? Or did Larry et al set up a company separate from or a subsidiary of Chess N Math and call that company ChessTalk / Parlons Echecs? If it is the latter, then the domain name can be sold separately from the data. Although I do believe that anyone who is capable of doing it may copy the data and republish it.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

August 14, 2016

Is any one else but me worried that, as early as a month from now, ChessTalk could go off-line forever?

Am I reading Larry’s statements wrong?

Wayne, perhaps you and a few (or several) others could form a business and use that business to purchase (using joint funds) what Larry is offering for sale. You appear to be someone who has the time and the inclination to keep ChessTalk going as it is.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        If you are referring to me, Kerry, it's not a case of wanting to be a lawyer. But I do own and operate a private business (known in the U.S. as a Limited Liability Company) and so I do strive to keep tabs on these kinds of things in general. I'm not running a forum, so I don't know exact legalities about the data on forums in general, but everything I've seen indicates that rights are determined by a forum's Terms of Service which anyone wanting to post must agree to.

The clause that Vadim posted made it very clear that owner(s) of "ChessTalk / Parlons Echecs" have all rights to the data but not exclusively.

That does raise one question: what exactly is "ChessTalk / Parlons Echecs"? Is it the domain name chesstalk.com ? Or did Larry et al set up a company separate from or a subsidiary of Chess N Math and call that company ChessTalk / Parlons Echecs? If it is the latter, then the domain name can be sold separately from the data. Although I do believe that anyone who is capable of doing it may copy the data and republish it.
        I wasn't referring to you specifically Paul, but if the shoe fits... :)
        I only wanted to make a distinction between the domain name and the contents.
        I am not a lawyer either, but I am not sure the two items are automatically conflated.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

August 14, 2016

Is any one else but me worried that, as early as a month from now, ChessTalk could go off-line forever?

Am I reading Larry’s statements wrong?
          The thought of Chesstalk posts being preserved for eternity is about as terrifying as the thought of Trump winning! For reasons that are strangely similar.... Nothing to see here, lets move it along!
          Fred Harvey

Comment

Working...
          X