Dina Kagramanov: Disney villain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dina Kagramanov: Disney villain?

Just got back from preview screening of "Queen of Katwe" -- the Disney film about the Ugandan girl who goes from selling maize in a slum in Kampala to playing in the Chess Olympiad in Russia....

... where our heroine runs into an unconquerable foe: Canadian Dina Kagramanov!

Fact: the heroine did play Dina in the 2010 Khanty-Mansiysk Olympiad.
    non-fact: they played in the first round, not the last (as in the film)
    Fact: their actual game ended exactly as the screen version shows.
    semi-fact: the actress playing Dina in the movie is (at most) 75% as good-looking as the real Dina.**

Question: what's it like to see yourself on screen as a Disney (demi)villain?

Can Dina -- maybe via anyone who has a way of getting in contact with her -- let us know what it's like to see "yourself" on screen playing the foil to the hero?

**good-lookingness as measured by the Trumpometer-2000 -- America's most trusted source of classy classy babe-ometry.

Re: Dina Kagramanov: Disney villain?

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
    Question: what's it like to see yourself on screen as a Disney (demi)villain?

Can Dina -- maybe via anyone who has a way of getting in contact with her -- let us know what it's like to see "yourself" on screen playing the foil to the hero?
    I think she was amazed that she was on the movie. Need to search exact things on Facebook.

Comment

Very entertaining. Bravo Dina, in addition to well-deserved respect you enjoy in chess circles, this movie and the accompanying hoopla make you a pop culture phenomenon, too! :) Carry the "villain" mantle proudly... if they demonize you, they recognize how good you are!:p

Here's how ESPN beats up your drum:
      Her first opponent is Dina Kagramanov, the Canadian national champion. Kagramanov, born in Baku, Azerbaijan, the hometown of former men's world champion Garry Kasparov, learned the game at age 6. She is competing in her third Olympiad and, at 24, has been playing elite chess longer than Phiona has been alive.

Kagramanov preys on Phiona's inexperience, setting a trap early and gaining a pawn advantage that Phiona stubbornly tries and fails to reverse. After her win, Kagramanov is shocked to learn that this is Phiona's first international match against an adult. "She's a sponge," Kagramanov says. "She picks up on whatever information you give her, and she uses it against you. Anybody can be taught moves and how to react to those moves, but to reason like she does at her age is a gift that gives her the potential for greatness."

Comment

Excellent movie. I enjoyed it along with 24 members of Mississauga chess club courtesy of free tickets from Disney.

Everyone should see it. Inspirational. :)

Comment

Just watched this movie with my wife. Not bad. It is very much a human interest story, light on the chess. I am not clear how the heroine buys her mother a new home on the strength of winning a minor tournament. I would note that her FIDE rating is under 1700 which is surprisingly low for a WCM. She ranks just inside the top 100 female players in Africa (5,333 in the world). The player herself was featured in a piece on the CBS news the other night---and as per usual, the board at which she was seated was set up wrong. I guess any publicity for the game is good publicity.

Comment

How many persons watched the boards during the movie and (a) instantly recognised the coming smothered mate, and (b) watched the last game and recognized the opening?

What other chess easter-eggs did people catch?

PS: Did you notice all the wooden boards? The school clubs are rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              Just watched this movie with my wife. Not bad. It is very much a human interest story, light on the chess. I am not clear how the heroine buys her mother a new home on the strength of winning a minor tournament. I would note that her FIDE rating is under 1700 which is surprisingly low for a WCM. She ranks just inside the top 100 female players in Africa (5,333 in the world). The player herself was featured in a piece on the CBS news the other night---and as per usual, the board at which she was seated was set up wrong. I guess any publicity for the game is good publicity.
              I believe that they mentioned that the house was bought from the proceeds of the Queen of Katwe book.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                How many persons watched the boards during the movie and (a) instantly recognised the coming smothered mate, and (b) watched the last game and recognized the opening?

I was especially impressed with the office of the federation head and the secretary! I am thinking of getting that as I am the AB Chess Association president:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

I was especially impressed with the office of the federation head and the secretary! I am thinking of getting that as I am the AB Chess Association president:-)

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                    I asked her but she only responded to your post: "Lol hilarious post" :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      I asked her but she only responded to your post: "Lol hilarious post" :)
                      That's what I was going for.

Thanks!

Comment

The other day I read the book by Tim Crothers that gave rise to the movie. The basic plot is naturally the same but there are a couple of interesting differences. First, the emphasis is more on the role of Katende, the inspirational teacher who gave hope and purpose to the kids from the slum of Katwe. Second, it is more realistic about the objective chess abilities of Phiona which underscores the incredible story of achieving anything from that appallingly bleak background. Worth a read.

Comment

FIDE Congratulates Robert Katende on receiving the 2017 Otis Social Justice Award

Wheaton College will present the 2017 Otis Social Justice Award to an East African social entrepreneur whose work is highlighted in the critically acclaimed 2016 film, Queen of Katwe.

Robert Katende introduced and developed chess programs in the slums of Kampala, Uganda, and in the refugee camps in Gulu, northern Uganda, an area severely affected by Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army. Today, his non-profit organization, Som Chess Academy, helps youngsters in the slums realize their full potential through chess, by integrating principles of the game with management of daily challenges in life, enhancing abstract thinking, creativity and innovation.

The Walt Disney-produced movie tells the story of how his chess ministry program affected the life of Phiona Mutesi, who rose from the slums to become the Ugandan chess champion, thus earning the affectionate title of the “Queen of Katwe” (the area where she lived).

Katende will speak at during the award ceremony, and he and Phiona Mutesi will participate in a panel discussion moderated by Wheaton alumnus Ted Nesi ’07, a reporter and anchor at WPRI TV-12 in Providence, RI. A reception will be held in the chapel immediately after the award presentation and discussion. (The event will be live streamed on the Wheaton Facebook page.)

The Otis Social Justice lecture series was established in 1959 through the generosity of Henry Witte Otis, whose children included two Wheaton graduates. Eleanor Roosevelt was among the earliest Otis lecturers (1962). Today, the purpose of the Otis Fund has broadened to support a colloquium in social justice–a forum through which the Wheaton community addresses key contemporary social issues.

The first Otis Social Justice Award was presented in 1990 to former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop. Other recipients include Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children’s Defense Fund; author Barbara Ehrenreich; Sister Helen Prejean, whose first book formed the basis for the film Dead Man Walking, and activist and journalist Gloria Steinem.

Comment

Working...
                          X