Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton to sue CFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton to sue

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Vlad wrote "I do not see how this is negative publicity for the CFC."

So, you don't think that the CFC president spreading a rumour that a master, the winner of the Maritimes Open, is considering suing the CFC, is bad publicity??
    If it is true, it is not a rumour.

Comment

Re: Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton to sue

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
      I assumed he played very badly and the newsletter showed this game in a negative light. The fact that he won has me laughing more than usual.

What a legend
      Looked to me like a nice smooth win by Black.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        I do not see how this is negative publicity for the CFC.
        As long as we keep Kasparov out of this I am in full agreement.

Comment

I think FM Robert Hamilton has a minor point here.

And as IM Tom O'Donnell wrote, he did win a nice game.

However, I would be wondering if, when FM Hamilton served as Editor of 'Chess Canada' magazine, whether he reliably quoted the source of ALL game-oriented material he used in the magazine. I served as volunteer Copy Editor with FM Hamilton for over a year, when he was Editor, about ten years ago now, and examined all the material used in the magazine for each issue during my tenure; I certainly don't recall him worrying then about quoting sources precisely!

My practical recommendation, as a non-lawyer, would be for the CFC to apologize to FM Hamilton for the matter, promise to not repeat the practice in future, and then use the money it would likely spend on lawyers for the case to pay him to annotate the game for the online magazine, now edited by John Upper. The apology should appear there as well, along with the annotated game, for the record; this could also go into the Governors' Letter. I would think that should settle it with a minimum of time and trouble. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            If it is true, it is not a rumour.
            "IF" it is true means that as far as anyone is concerned, it is not true as of yet. It's kind of like saying Clinton or Trump has won the election before the vote has been counted.

Really surprised that this thread exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
              I think FM Robert Hamilton has a minor point here.

And as IM Tom O'Donnell wrote, he did win a nice game.

However, I would be wondering if, when FM Hamilton served as Editor of 'Chess Canada' magazine, whether he reliably quoted the source of ALL game-oriented material he used in the magazine. I served as volunteer Copy Editor with FM Hamilton for over a year, when he was Editor, about ten years ago now, and examined all the material used in the magazine for each issue during my tenure; I certainly don't recall him worrying then about quoting sources precisely!

My practical recommendation, as a non-lawyer, would be for the CFC to apologize to FM Hamilton for the matter, promise to not repeat the practice in future, and then use the money it would likely spend on lawyers for the case to pay him to annotate the game for the online magazine, now edited by John Upper. The apology should appear there as well, along with the annotated game, for the record; this could also go into the Governors' Letter. I would think that should settle it with a minimum of time and trouble. :)
              The precedent that you set by apologizing would certainly be comical.

Comment

Really surprised that this thread exists.
                I agree, and to think I actually gave Drkulec the benefit of the doubt and took him seriously.

Comment

I am the "reliable" source Vlad refers to. I have been told by Robert himself that he is suing the CFC. He has told me that he has filed a claim with the Burlington, ON (CFC address) small claims court, and has sent a copy to me (a CFC Executive member).

Those are the facts.

I would have preferred not having to discuss this entire matter on CT, but wanted to reassure people we're not starting or spreading rumours.

Robert has been working on Copyright on Chess Games for GM's for a number of years. The CFC is just the first organization he will be suing in an attempt to build precedence. All of the past historical cases have gone against copyright of chess games.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    Robert has been working on Copyright on Chess Games for GM's for a number of years. The CFC is just the first organization he will be suing in an attempt to build precedence. All of the past historical cases have gone against copyright of chess games.
                    How might a ruling go in the case of two players deliberately playing out a game that had already been published?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                      How might a ruling go in the case of two players deliberately playing out a game that had already been published?
                      Precedence has been set for that in a tournament setting (at least in the case of 1-0 or 0-1) ... or are you referring to something else ?

Comment

Robert has been working on Copyright on Chess Games for GM's for a number of years.
                        Is it an organization?

Comment

I am the "reliable" source Vlad refers to. I have been told by Robert himself that he is suing the CFC. He has told me that he has filed a claim with the Burlington, ON (CFC address) small claims court, and has sent a copy to me (a CFC Executive member).

Those are the facts.

I would have preferred not having to discuss this entire matter on CT, but wanted to reassure people we're not starting or spreading rumours.
                          Let's assume that RH is serious (as opposed to having a big laugh at the CFC's expense). Then:

1. What kind of legal precedent can you set in a provincial small claims court?

2. What if RH's opponent has no objection to publication of the game?
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Precedence has been set for that in a tournament setting (at least in the case of 1-0 or 0-1) ... or are you referring to something else ?
                            I think, Fred, I am referring to something else.

Comment

As a CFC Executive member, I don't plan to say much more about this in public. I'll let the CT audience come up with ideas :-)

Comment

Bob Armstrong -- What about if I am at a chess tournament and watch one of your games. I note the moves and then publish them on Facebook. Am I in danger of a lawsuit? What if I have a great memory (sadly I do not) and I play the game back from memory? This issue has tremendous implications for companies like Chessbase.
                                Last edited by Steve Karpik; Friday, 28th October, 2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X