Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton to sue CFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton t

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
    Bob Armstrong -- What about if I am at a chess tournament and watch one of your games. I note the moves and then publish them on Facebook. Am I in danger of a lawsuit? What if I have a great memory (sadly I do not) and I play the game back from memory? This issue has tremendous implications for companies like Chessbase.
    Accoirding to Wikipedia, Emanuel Lasker "argued that players should own the copyright in their games rather than let publishers get all the profits. These demands initially angered editors and other players, but helped to pave the way for the rise of full-time chess professionals who earn most of their living from playing, writing and teaching. Copyright in chess games had been contentious at least as far back as the mid-1840s, and Steinitz and Lasker vigorously asserted that players should own the copyright and wrote copyright clauses into their match contracts."

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilt

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
      Accoirding to Wikipedia, Emanuel Lasker "argued that players should own the copyright in their games rather than let publishers get all the profits. These demands initially angered editors and other players, but helped to pave the way for the rise of full-time chess professionals who earn most of their living from playing, writing and teaching. Copyright in chess games had been contentious at least as far back as the mid-1840s, and Steinitz and Lasker vigorously asserted that players should own the copyright and wrote copyright clauses into their match contracts."
      Which no one was willing to accept and which matches did not take place as a result of the demands.

Comment

Re: Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton to sue

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
        Bob Armstrong -- What about if I am at a chess tournament and watch one of your games. I note the moves and then publish them on Facebook. Am I in danger of a lawsuit? What if I have a great memory (sadly I do not) and I play the game back from memory? This issue has tremendous implications for companies like Chessbase.
        Steve Karpik - Get a life! You want to watch one of my games???

Bob A

Comment

Re: Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014 Robert Hamilton to sue

Why must Vlad try to insult/slander Kasparov at every possible moment? If this lawsuit does occur it would be between Robert Hamilton and the CFC, Kasparov is not involved, and bringing him up is a red herring.
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
            Why must Vlad try to insult/slander Kasparov at every possible moment? If this lawsuit does occur it would be between Robert Hamilton and the CFC, Kasparov is not involved, and bringing him up is a red herring.
            Agreed - the implication (Whether intended or not) is that somehow Kasparov is involved with Hamilton in this actual Ontario Small Claims Court action (Do I understand correctly that Hamilton has in fact filed his claim with the court, but CFC has not yet been formally served? - please clarify). It does nothing for CFC's reputation if there is no public evidence of this.

Bob A

P.S. I would suggest that at the very least, Vlad revise the thread title to remove this ambiguity.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
              Why must Vlad try to insult/slander Kasparov at every possible moment?
              It seems to me that this is neither insult nor slander. It is simply fact. There was a complaint that we did not acknowledge Kasparov's official representative when we stopped dealing with him in 2014 when he had been briefly (perhaps in error) disavowed by the Kasparov campaign.

If this lawsuit does occur it would be between Robert Hamilton and the CFC, Kasparov is not involved, and bringing him up is a red herring.
              Except this is something which is happening elsewhere as well (lawsuits by Kasparov associates the most notable being Danialov and Karpov). Many of these actions have been taken in the European Sport court or whatever it is called but the fact is that they have lost every one and the key feature of the cases is that FIDE or the local federation was burdened by legal costs. I do not blame Kasparov for everything his people do but they are his people and their behaviour has been somewhat consistent around the world.
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 31st October, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Kasparov's former Cdn rep Robert Hamilton to sue CFC

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Agreed - the implication (Whether intended or not) is that somehow Kasparov is involved with Hamilton in this actual Ontario Small Claims Court action (Do I understand correctly that Hamilton has in fact filed his claim with the court, but CFC has not yet been formally served? - please clarify). It does nothing for CFC's reputation if there is no public evidence of this.

Bob A

P.S. I would suggest that at the very least, Vlad revise the thread title to remove this ambiguity.
                According to Robert Hamilton, a case has been filed but there has been no service to anyone associated with the case. We await details of the claim. We have been told by Mr. Hamilton that Karpov along with a large number of grandmasters are on board with this. I am not sure that Kasparov has ever stated a position on this question but I am pretty sure that Robert Hamilton was Kasparov's representative in Canada for FIDE election 2014. I am also pretty sure that Karpov was Kasparov's candidate in 2010.

There is no doubt that the CFC has been targeted because we are perceived as weak and possibly more willing to settle than say the USCF which has not been shy about getting involved in litigation.
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 31st October, 2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Re: Kasparov's former Cdn rep Robert Hamilton to sue CFC

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  According to Robert Hamilton...
                  Anything further is absolutely without credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    Anything further is absolutely without credibility.
                    Apparently the suit has been filed on September 27th.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      Apparently the suit has been filed on September 27th.
                      And apparently the defendant in the suit was unaware of it until just recently? Come on, this is getting more ridiculous every day.
                      I am not a lawyer, but isn't there a (significant) difference between a suit and a claim in small-claims court??
                      Is there a link to an online reference to the suit and any details? [just asking - I have no idea if that information is posted on the www]
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        And apparently the defendant in the suit was unaware of it until just recently?
                        http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...sh/courts/scc/

Important dates:
                        "After you file your claim with the appropriate courthouse, deliver a copy of the Plaintiff's Claim and your supporting documents to each defendant. This is called serving the defendants. You have six months to do this after filing your claim with the court."
                        If you decide to reply to the lawsuit, you must file a defence at the court within 20 days after receiving the claim. If you miss this deadline, you can still file your defence as long as the plaintiff has not yet made a request to the court to have you “noted in default”.

Comment

And apparently the defendant in the suit was unaware of it until just recently? Come on, this is getting more ridiculous every day.
                          I am not a lawyer, but isn't there a (significant) difference between a suit and a claim in small-claims court??
                          Is there a link to an online reference to the suit and any details? [just asking - I have no idea if that information is posted on the www]
                          As E.Z. points out, there is a difference between opening a file and serving people.

Note that any supporting documents (affidavits, notices of hearings, etc.) that the CFC might expect to be served upon them cannot be filed until *after* the CFC (or whoever else) has been served.

From the sounds of it, a file has been opened and nothing else has happened yet.

Steve

Comment

An appreciation for absurdity goes a long way towards being able to navigate the waters of chess politics.

I am not a lawyer, but isn't there a (significant) difference between a suit and a claim in small-claims court?

Beyond the amount recoverable in the case of victory, I wouldn't say that there is a difference.

I looked around and couldn't find any for this particular court.

Comment

The architect of our doom

http://www.kbkfirm.com/attorneys/laura-brill#

The architect of our doom.
                              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 3rd November, 2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Re: The architect of our doom

https://twitter.com/SusanPolgar/stat...48350782500864

A simple rebuttal to the petty lawsuit the CFC is facing.

Comment

Working...
                                X