• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Rapid and Blitz Championships Doha 2016

World Rapid and Blitz Championships Doha 2016

December 30, 2016

Afterword

The tournament was particularly enjoyable because of the turnout. Besides the usual suspects, Morozevich and Ivanchuk were there in pretty good form. One would have liked Caruana, So and Ding Liren too, but you can’t have everything you want in life.

Karjakin and Nepo had anni mirabiles.

Peter Leko and Vassily Ivanchuk had their influences on the fates of the top two players. It was fitting that the two combatants from the recent World Championship were at the top at the end.

Of the youngsters, Dubov shone and Wei Yi, Tari Aryan and Maghsoodloo Parham will have their chance one day.

And Jobava was there, being Jobava.

And at the bottom was Dima, not winning a single game in both contests.

I have tried to describe the incident with the 50-move rule invocation. Here is how Peter Doggers put it:

The round finished with a remarkable incident. Ahmed Adly was trying to win rook vs knight against Diego Flores for a long time. It was such a long time that Flores at some point claimed a draw based on the 50-move rule.

This claim was rejected as it was only 47 moves, so the players played on with Adly getting extra time on the clock. Only a few moves later, Flores blundered, and the position was suddenly lost. The Argentinian grandmaster thereupon claimed a draw again, but again he was denied. This time White had played 50 moves since the last capture, but Black had one move to go.

Flores in fact had only one second left on the clock.

He then requested the arbiter to start his clock from the other side so that the arbiter's arm would not be in the way, which got the fairly big crowd laughing. Another arbiter started the clock, Flores managed to make his move, but then he made the mistake of playing another move, instead of claiming the draw for the third time. Before he knew it, he was checkmated, and the game was over.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/karj...mpionship-9527

Online Comments on the tournament

- It seems a little unfair to determine the tiebreak based on rating average of opponents. Imagine if Karjakin and Carlsen played the exact same opponents, including each other. Then Karjakin would win the title on tiebreak even though they played the same people simply because Carlsen is higher rated than Karjakin.

- Congrats to Karjakin, Muzychuk and Ivanchuk for the gold medals! Carlsen somewhat looked like a sad baby. I remember in 2012 he took two 2nd places behind Grischuk and Karjakin as well, but he is the only one to be consistently among the medalists, better luck next time. And also congrats to winner of our hearts Mohamed Ali Dima from Djibouti for reaching a combined score of 0/36 in rapid and blitz, a pretty remarkable achievement as well.

- I think it's strange that Daniil Dubov is not mentioned at all in the article. He won 3rd place (on tiebreaks) ahead of Nakamura and Grischuk! Not even a caption with his name in it to accompany the photo at the top of the article! I didn't see any games of his in the article either. I'm not a fan of his, just thought it was unusual to completely omit the 3rd place finisher.

- I don't get the rejection of the 2nd claim in Adly vs Flores. The last capture was on move 92 by white and the claim was after move 142 by white. So White made 50 moves (93 to 142) and black made 50 moves (92 to 141). What am I missing?!

Flores should have stopped the clock before he played Nb8 and claimed that after he will have played Nb8, the 50 moves rule should give him the draw, but he claimed that after he got checkmated, a rather unfortunate situation indeed.

- special congrats to anna muzychuk - a double champion - absolute brilliance!

- Carlsen: "I can only congratulate Ivanchuk. If there's anyone I want to be successful, it's him. He's been class for 30 yrs"

Comment

Working...
    X